• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amongst all the anti gun press, NC is getting it right!

I didn't want to link some CNN bullshit website but I really dont care at this point. Heres IBs scoop on it. And some talking points...

“We’re here to enhance our Second Amendment rights, which have been too long restricted by the previous [Democratic] majority,” said Sen. Buck Newton, a Republican who represents sections of Johnston, Wilson and Nash counties in North Carolina. “These are, by definition, law-abiding citizens,” referring to those with permits to carry concealed weapons.

And the BOO statement...

"Republicans in the General Assembly have no concept of consequences. They have shown that time and time again," said Beasley. "Guns and alcohol don't mix. Guns at town parades or at playgrounds with our children is unacceptable. Guns on campus make our college students less safe. To add insult to injury this legislation undermines our local sheriffs' ability to make their towns and cities safe.

NC Bill Would Eliminate Handgun Permits, End Background Checks For Private Purchases

The R's have full control of NC for the first time since the 1800's literally. The are doing the right things across the board on all issues and blowing up D heads daily. The D's cannot stop anything and it drives them nuts.

The R's have full control of NC for the first time since the 1800's literally. The are doing the right things across the board on all issues and blowing up D heads daily. The D's cannot stop anything and it drives them nuts.

And on the other side of the country in CA the exact opposite is happening.

And on the other side of the country in CA the exact opposite is happening.

True but CA has been a lost cause for sometime. Arnold went along more than against. Next yr, Arkansas will go full R for the first time in 150 years too. They are the last southern holdout.

"Guns and alcohol don't mix. Guns at town parades or at playgrounds with our children is unacceptable. Guns on campus make our college students less safe. To add insult to injury this legislation undermines our local sheriffs' ability to make their towns and cities safe.

Statements like this, as if they represent fact, drive me nuts. It plays well in the press; it's easy to remember; it's the lib mantra: but where's the evidence that is supposed to make this a "true" statement. Legal gun owners on college campus will make them less safe? Tell that to the women who have been assaulted and raped while disarmed. We need our own mantra that can be repeated hundreds of times a day on every forum and on all news casts.

We are loving it down here, the legislature is removing 2A hurdles and they are also lowering taxes across the board. It's been a tad rainy and wetter than its supposed to be, but back in CT its been hotter and more humid than down here. The folks are a hell of a lot nicer, cost of living is substantially lower, and we only have colder weather for maybe 3 months out of the year. Live in county rather than city limits, do what you want on your own land, wanna shoot, go ahead. We have a almost 300K home and property and our taxes are 1600 yr, HA!! And my kids even get drivers ed as part of school. don't have to fork over a grand for a driving school. NC Rocks!!

Sooo sick of the "safety" slant...protecting families....they paint this terrible picture of a drunken anarchistic buffoon gun owner stumbling around shooting indiscriminately in the air..and the sheep lap it up! Fools. It's those responsible citizens that arm themselves that keeps those same sheep safe. We know this, but how do you educate sheep? It's not warm & fuzzy. It's not what the talking heads (whom they distrust but follow..go figure) say so it can't be true.

go NC! Do the right thing...I see me driving caravan style down there the minute I retire!! Free at last!!!

Sooo sick of the "safety" slant...protecting families....they paint this terrible picture of a drunken anarchistic buffoon gun owner stumbling around shooting indiscriminately in the air..and the sheep lap it up! Fools. It's those responsible citizens that arm themselves that keeps those same sheep safe. We know this, but how do you educate sheep? It's not warm & fuzzy. It's not what the talking heads (whom they distrust but follow..go figure) say so it can't be true.

go NC! Do the right thing...I see me driving caravan style down there the minute I retire!! Free at last!!!
It is not just false, it is exactly backward. Even according to the CDC, there are anywhere from 500K to 3 million defensive uses of firearms each year. Moreover, those who use a firearm for self defense end up with fewer injuries than those who use other methods.

Now that is saving lives! What about those children?

Actually heading down in a few weeks to move one of our kids into college, and beside that our primary personal goal is to visit various towns that look appealing online to see if they are a good fit while browsing homes for sale.

Make sure your kid registers to vote down there and vote the right way. The vote there is more important than the wasteland of the northeast.

About the between 500,000 and 3 million defensive gun uses (DGUs) in this country every year

I'm going to do some math, and I'm going to use conservative estimates.

There are approximately 100 million gun owners in the country.
Assuming 1 million DGUs, that's 1 in 100 every year.

This forum has a good 1,000 users (and these users are daily carriers and defensive minded WAY above the national average, I assume)

So that'd be in the neighborhood of 10 defensive gun uses per year we should be hearing about in our own membership. If it's 500,000 the number would be 5; if it's 3 million the number would be 30.

I may have missed them, but I haven't seen any discussed in the last several months.

Have there been any members who have used a gun defensively? How many?

About the between 500,000 and 3 million defensive gun uses (DGUs) in this country every year

This forum has a good 1,000 users (and these users are daily carriers and defensive minded WAY above the national average, I assume)

So that'd be in the neighborhood of 10 defensive gun uses per year we should be hearing about in our own membership. If it's 500,000 the number would be 5; if it's 3 million the number would be 30.

I may have missed them, but I haven't seen any discussed in the last several months.

I thought that statistic sounded very sketchy too. To answer your question, in the couple of years that I have hung out here I don't remember reading about even one actual defensive shooting by one of our members. Hopefully someone will chime in if we are off base here.

Make sure your kid registers to vote down there and vote the right way. The vote there is more important than the wasteland of the northeast.

That's a good point that I hadn't given much thought to yet. I'm actually interested to see how liberal the professors are there compared to the crap I have seen coming out of our colleges up here such as UMASS where one of his older brothers graduated from.

I thought that statistic sounded very sketchy too. To answer your question, in the couple of years that I have hung out here I don't remember reading about even one actual defensive shooting by one of our members. Hopefully someone will chime in if we are off base here.

One does not have to shoot to use a gun for defense.

For those of us in Mass, it would be foolish to publish information about using a firearm even if it was not fired.

One does not have to shoot to use a gun for defense.

For those of us in Mass, it would be foolish to publish information about using a firearm even if it was not fired.
Indeed, most stats show a runaway majority of defensive gun users do NOT involve firing the gun.

As for those questioning the stat, see the reference to the CDC included in there:
Obama orders CDC gun violence study, study shreds his position

They are citing "estimates" with all the usual caveats, but keep in mind that this is a study commissioned by Obama to plead his case for gun control... So, if they wanted to dismiss them out of hand, they could have.

Last edited:
If one was to use their firearm for a defensive shooting, I highly doubt that anything would be posted by that person on this forum. If they did, they would be stupid as all hell.
To give a refresher to the newbies, if you are involved in any incident that requires the police to be questioning you, you shutup, don't say anything, give them your name only. Contact an attorney ASAP and shutup until your lawyer is there with you to do any talking. If involved in a shooting, you shutup, don't say a damn word, nothing, your going to be handcuffed and processed regardless, the cops will figure out who you are, You don't get ****en brownie points for yapping the hinged jaw away.

Last edited:

There are stories in the paper every friggen day

There are stories in the paper every friggen day
I don't see a million's worth

Probably from Police Reports. Most likely not from threads on an internet forum.
Could be. Would like to see. Not even many friend-of-a-friend stories here either.

Big news around here was when someone shot a bobcat a few months ago. Hey! Maybe some/lots of the numbers include brandishing against pit bulls. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be true

Last edited:

I recall a member here posting a thread a few weeks back about him and his wife being in the shady part of Boston walking back to their car. Four thugs passed them and the member gave them the "I'm not a victim, don't **** with me stare back at them." He hard them say something so he un-concealed his handgun and the thugs high tailed it out of there. No shots fired, no police report filed. No one harmed.

I recall a member here posting a thread a few weeks back about him and his wife being in the shady part of Boston walking back to their car. Four thugs passed them and the member gave them the "I'm not a victim, don't **** with me stare back at them." He hard them say something so he un-concealed his handgun and the thugs high tailed it out of there. No shots fired, no police report filed. No one harmed.

and no news story

ETA I know of a person that bluffed his way out of a confrontation by reaching his hand inside his jacket pretending he was going to pull a firearm. You don't even need to actually have a firearm just the possibility of one to prevent some situations. I would still classify that as a DGU

Good story, thanks

and no news story
No news story and no police report.

So where do the numbers come from, internet forums?

ETA I know of a person that bluffed his way out of a confrontation by reaching his hand inside his jacket pretending he was going to pull a firearm. You don't even need to actually have a firearm just the possibility of one to prevent some situations. I would still classify that as a DGU
Are you sure he didn't flash a CCW badge?

Good story

I don't see a million's worth

Could be. Would like to see. Not even many friend-of-a-friend stories here either.

Big news around here was when someone shot a bobcat a few months ago. Hey! Maybe some/lots of the numbers include brandishing against pit bulls. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be true

There was one guy at the Jan. 19th rally at the Statehouse that (according to his account) was able to fend of two armed men attempting to car jack him, simply by drawing his CCW.

Back
Top Bottom