ammunition storage laws?

Am I missing something? I'm looking at the new CMR here:
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/527cmr1-00.pdf
Pages 49-50 seem to be the table of thresholds, which all seem to be the same as before...

Huh? From page 49 of your link. less than 1000 = No....Less than 10,000 = Yes for permit....Greater than 10,000 = Yes for license

< 1,000 caps or other small arms
primers
no no
Small arms ammunition primers
[private use]
< 10,000 caps or other small arms
primers
yes no

Last edited:
I got permit number 1 in Walpole about 3 or 4 years ago, they had never been asked for one. They charged $10. I asked would it be $10 each year, they said it was a lifetime permit.

Works for me! [smile]

Does it say anywhere what the penalties are for not getting such a permit (say, for 1000-9999 primers or 9999 rounds of centerfire ammunition) or ? I didn't see any mention of fines/jail time, etc in the fire code.

Read the CMR, I don't recall what the penalty could be. BUT, if there is any loss at the house and the insurance company can point to a non-compliance issue (even if not related to loss), you can expect them to deny the claim. So it could cost you thousands or more not to comply.

It's so tough to get . . . NOT! I merely send an Email (or mention it) to my Fire Chief and he Emails it to me with a note to drop off a check for $5.00 next time I'm near the fire station! LTCs should be so tough to get/renew!!!!!

Read the CMR, I don't recall what the penalty could be. BUT, if there is any loss at the house and the insurance company can point to a non-compliance issue (even if not related to loss), you can expect them to deny the claim. So it could cost you thousands or more not to

This is oft repeated nonsense. There is no provision in any standard homeowners policy allowing carriers to avoid the contract based on non-compliance with fire-code, or laws in general. As long as the loss is not intentionally caused by the HO there is coverage.

You post a lot of good stuff but this isn't that.

It's so tough to get . . . NOT! I merely send an Email (or mention it) to my Fire Chief and he Emails it to me with a note to drop off a check for $5.00 next time I'm near the fire station! LTCs should be so tough to get/renew!!!!!

Some towns charge $30+/year for a permit, which you have to get in person, and might take a week to get.

Some towns charge $30+/year for a permit, which you have to get in person, and might take a week to get.

And most towns/cities are clueless about these permits - like where I live for instance (Gloucester). I gave up last year after chatting with the fire inspector who's my friends brother. He kept saying I didn't need one etc. and I just didn't want the whole city or fire department knowing what I have so I've decided to keep my mouth shut and not even bother.

Not to sound too tinfoilish "new word" but applying for a permit that says you have over 10000 rounds stored at your domicile, isn't that something the police in your town or any level of government would love to take note of.

Dean

Not to sound too tinfoilish "new word" but applying for a permit that says you have over 10000 rounds stored at your domicile, isn't that something the police in your town or any level of government would love to take note of.

Dean

1. It's perfectly legal.

2. FD does not share that info with the police, so they will never know . . . for those that worry about such things. If that is a concern, aren't you worried that your police chief can look at the list of guns that EOPS thinks you have? Isn't that more of a concern to you? [tinfoil]

3. FD wants to know because in case of fire, they would spray down areas with large quantities of flammables to try to avoid a flare-up. Firefighters in MA are trained on how to deal with quantities of ammo and no, they won't run away and let your house burn to the ground because you have ammo there. I've had this discussion with a prior chief.

4. You'd be shocked at how many firefighters are pro-2A, including chiefs. In 40+ years in this town, we've had 4 chiefs and they have all been very supportive. One I know owned guns (and is a martial arts instructor), another probably did (his Son is a selectman and pro-2A) and the current one brought a couple of his firefighters into his office to introduce me to them as a fellow gun nut . . . a bunch of guys on the FD go shooting together at one of the local gun clubs. Prior chief ran a LTC class for his firefighters years ago. [thumbsup]

5. Realize that the current CMR requires a permit for 1000 primers! Prior CMR only required it for >1000 primers. So every reloader needs a permit. [thinking]

6. The permit does NOT say how much of anything you have, it merely states what the law allows you to have. In the early years of my having said permit, I had nowhere near the quantity of stuff that required a permit . . . it was good for 5 yrs and cost me nothing back then. No list, no home inspection (yes I realize that one or two cities may demand it as they can demand anything).

7. Too much tinfoil wrapped too tightly around here. [tinfoil]

Last edited:
And most towns/cities are clueless about these permits - like where I live for instance (Gloucester). I gave up last year after chatting with the fire inspector who's my friends brother. He kept saying I didn't need one etc. and I just didn't want the whole city or fire department knowing what I have so I've decided to keep my mouth shut and not even bother.

Tell them to either read the CMR (527 CMR 1.0) or call the State Fire Marshal's Office for whatever clarification they need. It's their job to know these things (at least it's the job of the chief, unsure about every firefighter needing to know).

Dean

Absolutely. The oft used, media hi-test word "arsenal" comes to mind.

I was on GOAL's website and if I'm reading this correctly the fire dept. permit is not required anymore unless over 10,000.

Massachusetts Ammunition Information​

GOAL’s Ammunition Information Page – Storage Requirements & More​

Massachusetts Ammunition info.​

MA Ammo and Component Storage Regulations​

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There’s a twist… Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

“cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun”

In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

Massachusetts residents that are at least 18 years of age and possess an LTC or FID can store 9,999 primers. A duly licensed resident is no longer required to pay for the “powder storage permit” to lawfully store more than 999 primers. We are reminded that ammunition, propellants, powders and primers “shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use”.

Neil Tassel has been handling a "thing" for me and I believe he mentioned to me and the ignorant Magistrate that there's nothing stating ammo (in my home) needs to be stored/locked away in any particular fashion, but I have idea beyond what I could be mis-remembering @ntassel

-nick
According to 527 CMR 1.00, without a storage permit issued by the fire department, “small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.”

This is a fire regulation, not a law, ’cuz it’s in CMR, not MGL. But that doesn't mean you can’t get jacked up if someone tries to enforce CMR on you.

If this is an on going (open) case I wouldn't discuss it on a public forum
Neil Tassel has been handling a "thing" for me and I believe he mentioned to me and the ignorant Magistrate that there's nothing stating ammo (in my home) needs to be stored/locked away in any particular fashion, but I have idea beyond what I could be mis-remembering @ntassel

-nick

They locked up one of my students for having ammo locked in his trunk. He was locked up for a few hours, until the LEOs figured out that ammo locked in the trunk is locked up. ...
I hope your student is suing the department that falsely arrested him. Sadly that arrest record will follow him for life and needs to be explained away forever.
Do you suppose that police located ammo locked in his trunk
because he permitted police to search his trunk?
[rolleyes]
That's not what I'd call "prime plaintiff material".

I don't think they ever figured out that ammo doesn't need to be locked up when transporting it.
He was only transporting the ammo as long as he was in motion.
As soon as he pulled over to the side of the road, he was storing it.

Conclusion: When you have ammo in the trunk, never stop for police. [shocked]

Dean

It doesn't matter, if you have an LTC, you're already marked for death in the PDs computer system already, I guarantee it. Turn on your scanner sometime, listen long enough, and you'll know what I'm talking about. "There's a dog flag and a firearms flag at that residence"

Back
Top Bottom