• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo $$$$$$$$$

I was wondering if the steady price increases in centerfire ammo has changed how often you go to the range and how many rounds you shoot. I for one haven't took my bushmaster out of the safe in months. Lately I find myself shooting more of my 22's when at the range. I'm not crying poor mouth but 30 to 40 cents or more for .223 round has changed how often I take that rifle with me to the range.

It's prompted me to start reloading. I find now that I shoot what I reload more than I have in the past, but what I don't reload, I shoot a lot less.

It's unfortunate to say this, but I've pretty much stopped shooting my rifles all together. It's just to expensive to shoot 223, 7.62x39 or 308. Not to mention that 50 BMG ammo has gone up to $4.50 per round. I reload now for 45acp so I shoot it more often. I also notice I break out my 22lr rifle and handgun a LOT more then I used to.

The only exception is when we have a group shoot. You have to bring out the big boys at that point. [wink]

My habits haven't changed at all because I reload.

I'm reloading too, and my habits have changed. I've pretty much retired my 45acp and rarely even shoot my 40 cal anymore. On the positive side, I've used the excuse of rising ammo costs to purchase two new 9mm pistols that I shoot quite a bit. The more 9mm I shoot the sooner I will have saved enough money to recoup the costs of the pistols. If I could find a nice 9mm revolver to replace my 625 I'd give up all my other calibers in favor of the 9mm.

-Cuz.

I only got my LTC back in march so these prices seem normal to me! Is reloading really that much cheaper?

It can be much cheaper depending on the caliber - especially if you're reusing brass.

I can load .500 S&W Mag for less than $0.25 per round vs. $1.50 per round retail.

I shoot a lot of 10mm and .44 Special. These calibers are expensive to buy as loaded ammo but no more expensive to reload than .45 ACP. Using lead bullets and my own brass I can load them for about $0.11/round or $5.50 per box of 50. Yeah, you save lots of money reloading.

Cuz - That is blasphemy!!!!!!! Replace your 625????? Are you out of your mind?????[sad2]

Tell me about it! I love my 625, but 9mm bullets cost at least $30 less per 1000 to buy. When you're buying 5 - 10K at a pop that starts to add up. It's the only way I can continue to shoot as often as I want. I don't even practice with the 625 anymore. It only comes out to play in matches. Heck, my SVI 40 cal only comes out to play in USPSA matches. I don't much practice with that anymore either (and it shows). I have become very fond of my 9mm Glocks, I can shoot them almost as much as I want. And, they work fine with plated bullets which is more than I can say for my fancy shmancy SVI with AET barrel. It only likes jacketed bullets which are thru the roof. Luckily I'm still sitting on a case and a half of Montana Gold 180 gr JHPs. Those will last me into next spring or longer since I'm only using the gun in matches. Long live the 9mm. Someone please tell S&W that we need a model 627 in 9mm and I'll be a very happy camper.

-Cuz.

ive had to stop shooting altogether due to the cost of .223 and .45 ammo.

if you like to shoot aorund 500 rds a day your looking at 250.00$-300.00$ a day to go shooting..
its a rich mans sport now.

ive had to stop shooting altogether due to the cost of .223 and .45 ammo.

if you like to shoot aorund 500 rds a day your looking at 250.00$-300.00$ a day to go shooting..
its a rich mans sport now.

Its not cheap any more and its not looking like prices are coming down or leving off any time soon. Its getting very $$$ to punch holes in paper.

I have become very fond of my 9mm Glocks, I can shoot them almost as much as I want. And, they work fine with plated bullets which is more than I can say for my fancy shmancy SVI with AET barrel. It only likes jacketed bullets which are thru the roof.

I feed my SVI .40 with an AET barrel poly-coated bullets. It likes them just fine and they are much cheaper than plated, still less real jacketed bullets.

My .45's have no objection to the poly bullets, either; they are equally accurate in my 625 and SVI single-stack. My race gun is the only pistol that gets jacketed ammo reloads.

Come to the other Dark Side! [wink]

I load .38, .357, .30 carbine, .308, 7.5 Swiss, .30-06.

All of those are expensive. I also have .303 dies for when I need to reload those.

But I don't load 9mm because the savings is minimal compared to the other calibers.

I'm reloading too, and my habits have changed. I've pretty much retired my 45acp and rarely even shoot my 40 cal anymore. On the positive side, I've used the excuse of rising ammo costs to purchase two new 9mm pistols that I shoot quite a bit. The more 9mm I shoot the sooner I will have saved enough money to recoup the costs of the pistols. If I could find a nice 9mm revolver to replace my 625 I'd give up all my other calibers in favor of the 9mm.

-Cuz.

Whatever you do, don't trade it in. Give us Wheelies a shot at it first. [smile]

PS: What dash is it?

I feed my SVI .40 with an AET barrel poly-coated bullets. It likes them just fine and they are much cheaper than plated, still less real jacketed bullets.

My .45's have no objection to the poly bullets, either; they are equally accurate in my 625 and SVI single-stack. My race gun is the only pistol that gets jacketed ammo reloads.

Come to the other Dark Side! [wink]

Scriv,
Do you mind bringing a half-dozen bullet heads to the next Manville match? I'd like to check them out. How thick is the poly coating? Does this mean there is no exposed lead? I may have to look into them.

-Cuz.

I haven't changed my range habits at all. I feed WWB .40 into my XD and it costs about $22 per 100 rounds at Wally World. If I shoot a couple of boxes in an afternoon it costs me under $50.

A lot of folks spend more than that per day on their hobbies so I don't let it bother me.

If I can find a good mail order place to order bullets and stuff then I will start reloading, but for now ya I have cut down on my shooting.

Back
Top Bottom