Ammo Supply Returning?

Brass 7.62x39 ran about 55cents a round back in the day,9mm are about 20c, that is cheap, i like em 4 longterm storage, they dont get rusty like the steel stuff.
You were paying .55 for 7.62x39? [rofl] [rofl]

I just shot steel cased ammo purchase in 2013, and I know the date because two people got me several thousand rounds of ammo for my engagement and that came from one of those boxes. No rust issues.

How do you store your ammo?

Brass 7.62x39 ran about 55cents a round back in the day,9mm are about 20c, that is cheap, i like em 4 longterm storage, they dont get rusty like the steel stuff.
Lol i can post pics that show otherwise, put that shit in sealed cans or even ziploc bags and there's no problem....brass or steel.

I just shot steel cased ammo purchase in 2013, and I know the date because two people got me several thousand rounds of ammo for my engagement and that came from one of those boxes. No rust issues.

I keep em in stripper clips, then toss em in the gunsafe, next to my sks.
One of my relative fough in cambodia, he said in hot and wet jungle enviroment gun and steelcase ammo rust really fast.

Ok grandmaster, ill buy me 2k of each animal when price drop down a bit more, just that i have to buy a new safe to hold ammo and work more hours to get money 4 it.
Nah, "locked container" means just that. Go to wally world, get ourself a cheap press board kids toy chest or plastic tub and put a padlock on it. Done. Hell, use one of those crappy trigger locks from a handgun.

Brass case 7.62x39?
Dirt cheap ammo?

What are you smoking? Can you share?
My AK's (well, WASR's) ain't good enough for no brass ammo... If my basement wasn't climate controlled I'd keep it in ammo cans. If I still lived in that commie shitholeid keep them in the aforementioned chest.

Ammo cans, dessicant packs. Load, warm with hair dryer, seal. Dood for at least a Couple of years unmolested.

This.

Lol i can post pics that show otherwise, put that shit in sealed cans or even ziploc bags and there's no problem....brass or steel.
Again, this.

I keep em in stripper clips, then toss em in the gunsafe, next to my sks.
One of my relative fough in cambodia, he said in hot and wet jungle enviroment gun and steelcase ammo rust really fast.
Massholia, despite being a commie shithole, is NOT a tropical jungle with year round 90% humidity.

I recall reading from ammo executives that they have one or even two years of backorders. I think they also tie that to predictions of when the shortage might end. I think, however, that the shortage will end much earlier than that, and the backlog of orders will result in a glut. I imagine there is a mechanism or mechanisms to cancel much of those orders, though.

I think that the impact of the unprecedented half dozen or so events (covid, George Floyd, BLM, defund the cops, rising crime, the election, the disputed election, Joe Biden's comments, January 6th, excess of cash pumped into the economy) over the last year and a half made anyone who was on the fence about getting a gun, go get one. The effect of that is that sales of guns and ammo in future years were moved forward into one year. And scarcity begets panic buying, of course. All of these factors combined to create the ammo, and to a lesser extent, gun shortage. There has to be a corresponding major drop off in sales in the future. Very few of these new gun owners are going to wind up joining a gun club or regularly shooting.

There may be a new, somewhat higher, base level of ammo sales going forward, but there will be glut for a time.

I recall reading from ammo executives that they have one or even two years of backorders. I think they also tie that to predictions of when the shortage might end. I think, however, that the shortage will end much earlier than that, and the backlog of orders will result in a glut. I imagine there is a mechanism or mechanisms to cancel much of those orders, though.

I think that the impact of the unprecedented half dozen or so events (covid, George Floyd, BLM, defund the cops, rising crime, the election, the disputed election, Joe Biden's comments, January 6th, excess of cash pumped into the economy) over the last year and a half made anyone who was on the fence about getting a gun, go get one. The effect of that is that sales of guns and ammo in future years were moved forward into one year. And scarcity begets panic buying, of course. All of these factors combined to create the ammo, and to a lesser extent, gun shortage. There has to be a corresponding major drop off in sales in the future. Very few of these new gun owners are going to wind up joining a gun club or regularly shooting.

There may be a new, somewhat higher, base level of ammo sales going forward, but there will be glut for a time.
Lol. A true ammo glut is when ammo prices are forced low because the stuff is taking up space somewhere etc. We had that /for a short time/ during Trump era. I don't think dists are ever going that low in the near future. It will take literally years for the channel to fill that hard.
Entire warehouses are still basically empty. Plus if even only 10% of the new market hangs around thats still a huge net increase of steady state demand. You also forget that there are whole echelons of shooting activity that basically stopped between covid and shit ammo prices. Lower ammo prices will bring back more steady state moderate consumption.

I don't think you really, truly understand the scope of what happened over the past year. Think of like multiple huge oil tankers filled with ammo instead of oil. All of those are now empty. Previous shortages were merely annoying in scope compared to this.

Guns will come back fast, actually if anything the industry was only slightly behind the demand curve for common stuff. That's why we saw no $1500 trash grade ARs this time around. It's easier to saturate that demand because 95% of new buyers are "one and two and done". Ammo is a different ballgame though.

Lol. A true ammo glut is when ammo prices are forced low because the stuff is taking up space somewhere etc. We had that /for a short time/ during Trump era. I don't think dists are ever going that low in the near future. It will take literally years for the channel to fill that hard.
Entire warehouses are still basically empty. Plus if even only 10% of the new market hangs around thats still a huge net increase of steady state demand. You also forget that there are whole echelons of shooting activity that basically stopped between covid and shit ammo prices. Lower ammo prices will bring back more steady state moderate consumption.

I don't think you really, truly understand the scope of what happened over the past year. Think of like multiple huge oil tankers filled with ammo instead of oil. All of those are now empty. Previous shortages were merely annoying in scope compared to this.

Guns will come back fast, actually if anything the industry was only slightly behind the demand curve for common stuff. That's why we saw no $1500 trash grade ARs this time around. It's easier to saturate that demand because 95% of new buyers are "one and two and done". Ammo is a different ballgame though.
Because this time is different, right?

I do understand your point about distribution channels. That is certainly valid. As are most of your points, of course, I just disagree.

Because this time is different, right?

Yeah, it is, actually. I don't think there will be a true oversupply/glut of ammo anytime soon. There are a variety of market forces and waiting buyers in play that will make that market state difficult to reach. Oh lets not forget the tons of indoor pay ranges that are cleaned out, too. Lots of those places keep months of supply. Most of those places will probably double their reserves because running out of ammo basically punches themselves in the dick, hard. Tons of lost revenue because of a lack of ammo.

Dock price (at dist) of 9mm even for 2020 was at like $250/k. One dealer i know briefly sold at $285/k before the end of 2020. I would love to see even that higher number the next several months but that's simply not realistic given the huge pent up demand at non rape tiers.

You're also forgetting about shit like .38, .380, .45.... and even 40. Lots of that shit was /gone/ over the past year. 9mm supply isn't anywhere near bad as those.

You can't realistically start yapping about gluts when most of the shelves are still bare. Even shit like 12/20g birdshot is hard to come by.

Which place?

Unless you live in Eastern North Carolina, naming the place does you no good.

Edited -- Meh - what's the harm? It's Sportsman's Wholesale in Morehead City NC. They had 9mm Remington range loads for $26.99/50. Blazer brass .40 fmj $32.99/50.

I think they removed all their limits, so if they have it you can buy it (if you walk in -- I do not think they ship).

I'm sticking to my strategy of just sitting on what I have, and buying fishing tackle instead, for the time being.

Last edited:
Massholia, despite being a commie shithole, is NOT a tropical jungle with year round 90% humidity.
I defy you to stick your finger under my armpit right now and say that again.

MilkyBetterArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

Just scored 5k rounds of Blazer 40gr lrn 22lr at 3.7¢/round with free shipping. Transaction went through, email confirmation received. We'll see...

FWIW it was an ammoseek.com alert, sold out in minutes. If I hadn't pulled off the road 2 minutes after getting the alert I would have been sol.

I'm glad you didn't crash for an ammo drop!

Back
Top Bottom