• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage

I was going to do what rumrunner posted. I think that's one of the best economical solutions there is. My problem is that I would need more than a few of those cabinets. Maybe that's not really a problem.
For me it was a great solution because I got a new safe and the old cheap one I had for many years was just sitting there. Not sure I would do it if I had to buy a cabinet for it though, unless I could find used ones cheap.

I was going to do what rumrunner posted. I think that's one of the best economical solutions there is. My problem is that I would need more than a few of those cabinets. Maybe that's not really a problem.
Yep, I hear that[laugh]

That doesn't sound like a real problem. Maybe straight powder, but individual cases, and packaged in different cases, I do not see it. Has it ever happened?
I don’t think it has ever actually happened. More I think about it, worse case would probably just blow the door off. Since it would be highly unlikely that all the ammo would ignite at the same time, ammo cooking off inside the safe would probably result in a slow increase in pressure until the door ruptured.

So I think you are right, the possibility of a catastrophic failure is nonexistent.

I would still not keep ammo in a safe with my guns, since even the best fireproof safes are rated against the ignition point of paper, which in many cases is above the ignition point of most propellents. Don’t want your guns contaminated with all that gunk from the ammo cooking off.

Edited to correct below the ignition point to above.

Last edited:
For me it was a great solution because I got a new safe and the old cheap one I had for many years was just sitting there. Not sure I would do it if I had to buy a cabinet for it though, unless I could find used ones cheap.

Yup. I was using a stack on cabinet for overflow for a bit, then moved that stuff to my safe. In the meantime, I had ammo cans and cases in the cabinet, but no shelves. It sucked because of course every time I wanted something it was on the bottom.

You have a great setup.

I was going to scale it up and do similar with the metal storage cabinets too. Drill the sides and back for brackets and cut solid wood shelves, but didn't get around to that. For a cabinet like the one on sale from HD, I think just putting down 1/4" plywood on top of the sheet metal shelves would work too to prevent them from bending.

For a cabinet like the one on sale from HD, I think just putting down 1/4" plywood on top of the sheet metal shelves would work too to prevent them from bending.
Shelves are rates for 150 pounds but I’m interested to see how much they bend.

I removed everything inside and bolted in some L brackets and used pine boards for the shelves.
If you're gonna post photos like that,
at least white-out the ammo lot numbers.

1649954572749-png.603529
A Mauser for your Schnauzer?

These cabinets are on sale again. I snagged the 30 inch wide model just now.

The Husky garage cabinet I just bought will be my second cabinet for storing ammo and reloading components. My heavy duty plywood cabinet (which is essentially full) is much larger than the husky cabinet. With a baby on the way I'm trying to be proactive for my kid not getting access to ammo. The husky cabinet will most likely get filled since each shelf can hold 150 pounds - not exactly flimsy IMO. I know my plywood cabinet shelves are definitely overloaded. I installed some heavy duty screws/bolts to help support it as some of my shelves were bowing from the weight LOL. 3/4" plywood too

Shelves are rates for 150 pounds but I’m interested to see how much they bend.
These say they are made from 24 ga. steel which is pretty flimsy. Even with plywood shelves could one load them full based on space? Or would the weight cause flexin' and bendin'

These say they are made from 24 ga. steel which is pretty flimsy. Even with plywood shelves could one load them full based on space? Or would the weight cause flexin' and bendin'
Yeah we'll have to see. Supposed to be delivered on tuesday of next week. I guess worst case I may need to reinforce them a bit.
@cathouse01 what are your thoughts on storing cases of heavy 7.62x39 ammo on those shelves? [laugh] 😬😬
I saw you posted a pic of yours in the deals and steals thread seen below:
1649967979635.png

Last edited:
Yeah we'll have to see. Supposed to be delivered on tuesday of next week. I guess worst case I may need to reinforce them a bit.
@cathouse01 what are your thoughts on storing cases of heavy 7.62x39 ammo on those shelves? [laugh] 😬😬
I saw you posted a pic of yours in the deals and steals thread
View attachment 603603
That was just one of my three cabinets, mostly pistol on the upper shelves. It does have 750 rounds of 50 BMG and about 4000 rounds of 5.56 on the bottom shelf. My rifle cabinet does have several cases of 12 gauge slug/buckshot, .30-06, .308 and 7.62x39 all on the upper shelves without any problem. I do try to put the really heavy stuff on the bottom shelf. I’m pretty sure the 150# per shelf limit is conservative.

That was just one of my three cabinets, mostly pistol on the upper shelves. It does have 750 rounds of 50 BMG and about 4000 rounds of 5.56 on the bottom shelf. My rifle cabinet does have several cases of 12 gauge slug/buckshot, .30-06, .308 and 7.62x39 all on the upper shelves without any problem. I do try to put the really heavy stuff on the bottom shelf. I’m pretty sure the 150# per shelf limit is conservative.
So just for jollies, I went out and stood on the edge of the second shelf of the cabinet in the picture. It currently has 2 cases of .45 ACP ball, half a case of .44 magnum, 1000 rounds of .22WMR, a case of 7.62X39, and about 2 cases of 9mm on it. I weigh in at just over 150. It didn’t flex, not even when I bounced up and down a little. You've got to figure at least 100 pounds for the ammo (that .45 ACP is over 40 pounds per case alone) so the shelf had at least 250# on it.

ETA If you plan on standing on any of the shelves, do make sure you’ve properly fastened the wall anchor in back so it can’t tip over.:)

The reloading machine empties right into this..one per caliber. Get a shovel and fill your range bag when you go..it locks with a padlock. If needed, you can roll them right onto your truck if you need to bug out..😁

View attachment 603533
I've actually got one of these(minus the foam) padlocked in the basement stuffed with ammo and I've only vaguest idea as to actual amount of ammo in it. What I do know is if anyone breaks in and they can manage to get it up the narrow stairwell they can keep it. [laugh]
1649986786535.png

Then again that's only the deep storage stuff. [smile]

View attachment 6036362 Stack-on cabinets like this, 1 for loaded ammo,1 for components. Loaded ammo is stored in GI 50 cal cans, that one is in a closet that I rehabed to fit the cabinet and the gun safe into recesses in the closet. And a large Husky Job Box for stuff in the process of being loaded and 12 guage components.
I spy some N320 powder👌🏻👌🏻

So just for jollies, I went out and stood on the edge of the second shelf of the cabinet in the picture. It currently has 2 cases of .45 ACP ball, half a case of .44 magnum, 1000 rounds of .22WMR, a case of 7.62X39, and about 2 cases of 9mm on it. I weigh in at just over 150. It didn’t flex, not even when I bounced up and down a little. You've got to figure at least 100 pounds for the ammo (that .45 ACP is over 40 pounds per case alone) so the shelf had at least 250# on it.

ETA If you plan on standing on any of the shelves, do make sure you’ve properly fastened the wall anchor in back so it can’t tip over.:)
Excellent! Now I feel even better with my purchase. Looking forward to getting it set up next week

I saw you posted a pic of yours in the deals and steals thread
View attachment 603603
Nicely organized. What size Husky cabinet is that? I'm concerned several ~40 lb .50cal can of steel 7.62x39 will be too much for anything besides the bottom shelf.

Nicely organized. What size Husky cabinet is that? I'm concerned several ~40 lb .50cal can of steel 7.62x39 will be too much for anything besides the bottom shelf.
Not sure. That’s @cathouse01 ‘s cabinet. I think it’s 36x72x18

I bought the 30 inch wide model due to space

Not sure. That’s @cathouse01 ‘s cabinet. I think it’s 36x72x18

I bought the 30 inch wide model due to space
Yup, I have three of the 36X72 inches and 1 of the 30 inchers. The one in the pic is a 36. From a quick inspection it looks like the shelves are constructed the same way for both sizes, so I would think the 30 inch shelves are even stronger since they span a shorter distance. I would worry about the 48 inch ones, since that’s a considerably wider span and if they are constructed the same as the other two I think their limit might be closer to the 150 lb rating.

I would say that the 36 inch model could take 5 40 lbs cans of ammo on one of the upper shelves (200 lbs). For sure if they’d fit across the 30 inch. I would try to load the heaviest stuff on the bottom, since they can get tippy if there is too much weight on the top vs the bottom. They do come with wall anchors, which I strongly recommend you use.

When I was in BJ's about a month ago, came across these cans. No writing on them, looked on the bottom and "Made in China".

Even though I need some cans, there is something about real American cans that I will not substitute. Price was 20.00 each, just like used cans...maybe a little more expensive if you know where to look for used ones.

ammo can.jpg

Those cans from BJs included both a 50 and a 30 cal can. So price wise they are a great deal.

These cabinets are on sale again. I snagged the 30 inch wide model just now.
Arrived today….with the side panels bent/damaged where the shelf brackets go. Ugh. Will be calling Husky tomorrow. @cathouse01 i assume you lucked out with no damage? EEDE2DF4-A829-40D3-B31E-4F3832DEA615.jpeg

That sucks. It seems like more often than not these metal cabinets arrived damaged.
Yep. I read the reviews on the HD website and knew it was going to be a gamble. It was packaged very well so I'm surprised it was damaged. These were the only damaged parts out of the whole cabinet. So annoying.

Looks like many of the reviews said that HD told them to bring it back to the store and replacement parts cannot be purchased. Ugh

Back
Top Bottom