• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Storage?

This. I went to the Fire Chief and he said they are Boolits, go see the Police for a firearm permit. I told him it’s a permit for having over 10k rounds and he said never heard of it. Go see the PD Chief. Went to the PD Chief and he asked what my problem was?

I left.

My fire inspector had no knowledge of the permit. I gave up once he wanted to ask other city officials about the permit. Not going to advertise to the city what I own....

I know others here have said that if you have a house fire the insurance company may not cover the damages if you didn't have a storage permit. But if your insurance policy says no storage of hazardous materials inside the home, not sure what good a permit will do....

Does it say "Get out your wallet" or does it say "Just go away"? [laugh]

In my 40+ yrs in this town, I've had an ammo/powder permit since I got into shooting. We've had 4 fire chiefs and each one knew about the permits and it was absolutely no hassle. My current permit is good for 5 years and cost me $5.00. First permits I got for many years were free and the fire chief at that time apologized when they had to charge me $10.00 to renew.

Obviously some fire chiefs don't participate in training provided by the State Fire Marshal's Office and their academy. It's sad that they are clueless about their job. What else wrt fire-fighting do they NOT know that could impact people's lives???

Obviously some fire chiefs don't participate in training provided by the State Fire Marshal's Office and their academy. It's sad that they are clueless about their job. What else wrt fire-fighting do they NOT know that could impact people's lives???
Only time I inquired (many years ago), they looked at me quizzically like I had three eyes. I got the message.

The good news is that I've been able to live with the "no permit" limits without a problem... except maybe now I'll have to get rid of one rimfire cartridge and one centerfire cartridge in order to comply with those new lower limits. [laugh]

The whole<10,000 etc. crap is obviously intentional... my favorite part is when things like this are read literally...

<2lbs black powder, private, no permit, no license
</=5lbs black powder, private, yes permit, no license

Do I need a permit for 1.5lbs, or not? ... they try so hard, they do try.

(yes, I know what they meant, but I read what they wrote)

So who's going to count it all in the event of a fire? I have boxes of loose rounds (original packaging)--no idea anymore how many.

So who's going to count it all in the event of a fire? I have boxes of loose rounds (original packaging)--no idea anymore how many.

My thought instead goes to not giving a wormy insurance company fodder in the event of a loss. "we're not covering you, you stored ammunition over the allowable amount"

Then I'd move anything over the limit to my place in NH.

Besides, the permit gives you goals to strive for [smile]

My thought instead goes to not giving a wormy insurance company fodder in the event of a loss. "we're not covering you, you stored ammunition over the allowable amount"

That’s up there with the “they’ll deny your claim if you have a fire and did your own electrical without a permit” fairytales - nothing Id worry about unless your policy specifically addresses storage of potentially hazardous materials.

I have the print out from GOAL and my question is if you over the 10,000 rd. limit and you call your local Fire Chief for an ammunition storage permit who/where does this info go? Is the Local PD notified? State Police?

You might be reading it wrong...GOAL's ammunition info page is accurate and is current with 527 cmr 1.00

qty limits are 5k shotshells, 10k centerfire and 10k rimfire.

Is the "Separate" Building still apply? Like 9,999 rounds in your shed?

No, I was informed that you can't get multiple quantities by storing in a shed, detached building, etc. I asked.

You might be reading it wrong...GOAL's ammunition info page is accurate and is current with 527 cmr 1.00

qty limits are 5k shotshells, 10k centerfire and 10k rimfire.

Jon,

It is "less than" in the above numbers, which is the problem.

Page 4 here: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/500-599cmr/527cmr1.pdf

No, I was informed that you can't get multiple quantities by storing in a shed, detached building, etc. I asked.

Jon,

It is "less than" in the above numbers, which is the problem.

Page 4 here: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/500-599cmr/527cmr1.pdf

You stated GOAL posted outdated/previous regs. GOAL is referring to 527 CMR 1.00 which is the current reg(s) regarding ammo/component storage. The previous reg(s)527 CMR 13.04 stated 5K shotshells, 10K rimfire and 10k centerfire. I don't recall a public hearing to change the quantity allowed by regulation. We'll argue with fire services over the 1 rimfire, centerfire, and shotshell.

Anyone build their storage locker? My friend is asking me for a plan so he can see how his stacks up to what he built.

You stated GOAL posted outdated/previous regs. GOAL is referring to 527 CMR 1.00 which is the current reg(s) regarding ammo/component storage. The previous reg(s)527 CMR 13.04 stated 5K shotshells, 10K rimfire and 10k centerfire. I don't recall a public hearing to change the quantity allowed by regulation. We'll argue with fire services over the 1 rimfire, centerfire, and shotshell.

Thanks for the GOAL update and correction to their website. I stand corrected.

Yes, I don't recall any public hearing either but the way EOPS has run CMR hearings in the past it doesn't surprise me. Someone needs to argue with them that the quantities allowed without a permit make no sense when one looks at how product is packaged/sold.

Back
Top Bottom