Ammo storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbos6

NES Member
A buddy of mine adheres to the thinking that you should have 1000 rounds of ammo for each caliber weapon you own (or something to that effect). Not looking to argue that philosophy, rather he wants to know any recommendations you good folks have on storage of said ammo. He goes to the range semi-regularly, so he rotates what he can, but for anything that will be stored for months or years at a time, what say you?

Military ammo is designed for long term storage. Not sure about commercial ammo. I've only had problems using Korean 9mm from the 1950's.

A buddy of mine adheres to the thinking that you should have 1000 rounds of ammo for each caliber weapon you own (or something to that effect). Not looking to argue that philosophy, rather he wants to know any recommendations you good folks have on storage of said ammo. He goes to the range semi-regularly, so he rotates what he can, but for anything that will be stored for months or years at a time, what say you?

I start getting nervous under 1000 for each lol. There is nothing worse than having to stop at a store on the way to the range because you are low on ammo.

I use the .30 cal ammo cans to store my stuff with silica packs thrown in.

He should only keep it 6 months, then send it to me.

Fixed it for you.

I use these:

s7_216741_999_01

Cabela's Dry-Storage Ammo Boxes

You can usually get them on sale for under $10.

They stack and store nicely:

11gorhk.jpg

Fixed it for you.

I use these:

s7_216741_999_01

Cabela's Dry-Storage Ammo Boxes

You can usually get them on sale for under $10.

They stack and store nicely:

11gorhk.jpg

i use one of these for my "go kit" / range ammo box... rest of it is in a safe.

as for quantity: i start to get nervouse when i fall below 500 on any caliber... just my personal preference.. i keep what i can hump ready to go. [wink] top off as needed.

Cabela's or Military ammo cans with silica packs.

10k for each is probably better if you're worried about prepping. Under 1K is unheard of at my house now.

My permit allows me to store 50,000 rounds of centerfire ammo

All will be in surplus ammo cans.

are you storing the ammo loose in the cans, or do you keep it boxed?
By statute it has to be in the original box, but you can fit more without boxes. I like Sellier & Bellot boxes, but not Blazer. The Cabela's ammo cans in the photo are the older weaker type. I bought a few of them for $7.50 They are not really sturdy or stackable. The newer version is better and I almost bought a dozen when they were on sale for $7.50, I waited too long and now they are again $15. However, I like MTM much better anyway. So for that kind of money I’d go with MTM AC11. Surplus 50 cal are good too. You can put them closer together, but they are much heavier. Keep in mind that when these are loaded they weigh a ton.

RE: OP
You can keep 10K rim fire + 10K center fire + 5K shotgun in one building. Above that you’ll need a permit. See 527 CMR 13.04 http://www.worcesterma.gov/uploads/J9/aM/J9aM8tDhs-AAMC_h6CGk3g/527013.pdf

How much you keep is in part driven by how much you shoot and your budget. If you shoot few boxes each year than keeping 1K might not be advisable. As for the shelf life – if you keep it in water/air free environment, it will probably outlive your grandchildren. Few years back I shut some WWI 7.62x54R and I have shut a lot of Korean War 30-06. Unless you keep it in a swimming pool, 20-30y rotation will ensure you have fresh ammo.

Last edited:
By statute it has to be in the original box, but you can fit more without boxes. I like Sellier & Bellot boxes, but not Blazer. The Cabela's ammo cans in the photo are the older weaker type. I bought a few of them for $7.50 They are not really sturdy or stackable. The newer version is better and I almost bought a dozen when they were on sale for $7.50, I waited too long and now they are again $15. However, I like MTM much better anyway. So for that kind of money I’d go with MTM AC11. Surplus 50 cal are good too. You can put them closer together, but they are much heavier. Keep in mind that when these are loaded they weigh a ton.

RE: OP
You can keep 10K rim fire + 10K center fire + 5K shotgun in one building. Above that you’ll need a permit. See 527 CMR 13.04 http://www.worcesterma.gov/uploads/J9/aM/J9aM8tDhs-AAMC_h6CGk3g/527013.pdf

How much you keep is in part driven by how much you shoot and your budget. If you shoot few boxes each year than keeping 1K might not be advisable. As for the shelf life – if you keep it in water/air free environment, it will probably outlive your grandchildren. Few years back I shut some WWI 7.62x54R and I have shut a lot of Korean War 30-06. Unless you keep it in a swimming pool, 20-30y rotation will ensure you have fresh ammo.

So many assumptions in this post. Where to start.

By statute it has to be in the original box, but you can fit more without boxes.
There is no such statute that applies to the ammo in this picture. To answer the question, I keep the ammo boxed and then stored in the "cans" with a big silica desiccant thingy.

The Cabela's ammo cans in the photo are the older weaker type. I bought a few of them for $7.50 They are not really sturdy or stackable. The newer version is better and I almost bought a dozen when they were on sale for $7.50, I waited too long and now they are again $15.
There's actually a mix of types there. I also bought during the $7.50 sale. In fact, some of them are less than a few months old. and yes I know there's more than one type. They not only stack well, but are sturdy enough to easily carry over 1K of 7.62x51. Not so much as a flex in the lid.

You can keep 10K rim fire + 10K center fire + 5K shotgun in one building. Above that you’ll need a permit. See 527 CMR 13.04 http://www.worcesterma.gov/uploads/J...k3g/527013.pdf
The OP didn't say he was from MA, but I guess if he is, this may well interest him. If not...not.

Last edited:
ScottS looks like you have too much ammo stored. Hurry put the rest in my house, I'll keep em safe for you[wink]
I have the same storage cases, but I can't get labels to stay on. Yes I cleaned the surface first with alcohol.

I use one of these (in fact, I hadn't swept up the debris when I too the pic. Oops.):

PT1090BK.jpg

Brother PT-1090

And this label:

TZ631-d.jpg

Black on Yellow, Extra Strong Adhesive.

I've never had an issue with the labels coming off.

I really wanted Yellow on Green, to mimic the stenciling on "real" ammo cans (you can see some Greek '06 SPAM cans in the pic), but I couldn't find any.)

Last edited:
So many assumptions in this post. Where to start....
1. OP is MA resident. He is currently applying for LTC. See his thread “ALP" is NOT an acceptable explanation?” http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uot-ALP-quot-is-NOT-an-acceptable-explanation

2. I was answering Dtess17 question who is also MA resident. I wanted to point to him that according to 527 CMR 13.04 1e he has to keep it in the original box. How you keep it or how he will choose to keep it - was not part of my post. Notice, I didn’t even state how I keep it.

3. I have/had the month old cans in your photo, and the new cans in Cabela's stock photo you posted, and MTM cans, and Mil 50 cal cans, and Mil 30cal cans. The cans in your photo are inferior to both new Cabela's and even more so to MTM AC11. I have MTM stacked 4 high. Try that with those in the photo for a few weeks and report back. Furthermore, they do not hold as much as others.

Last edited:
By statute it has to be in the original box, but you can fit more without boxes.

If the "statute" (I prefer to call it a regulation, as this is a reg not a law). insists on original boxes, that provision is completely uneforceable, to the point where it can be safely ignored. If I make my own ammo, what do they want me to do, store it in the box the primers came in? Think about how stupid that is. What if I went to a gun shop and they had a bag of ammo with a sticker on it.. then what does one do?

The MA ammo storage CMR is a regulation, not law. There is a difference. Mindless obeisance to every aspect of it is not required. Get a permit (if needed) lock it up (if it is not "in use..." [rofl] have fun with that one).

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom