Ammo storage??

Looking for ideas on something I can buy to store turned in ammo that will ultimately be sent to be destroyed. I am looking for something more than just a plastic ammo can, something that can be secured but maybe have an opening for people to drop the ammo in instead of it getting dumped on my desk with a sticky note. Any PD's out there have a set up? or anybody seen anything they would recommend? Thanks

If you have a list of calibers, I am willing to offer my services by destroying those which will fit my guns.

Is it defective or just confiscated from criminals?

Could a 50 cal ammo box ( 10 bucks at Rounds Hardware in Stoneham) be adapted by drilling a hole in the top for initial disposal. then the ammo could be transferred into a plastic can for final disposal?

If you have a Vo-Tech school with a sheet metal shop I bet they would make some for you, something with a flap mechanism that would prevent ammo from being removed could be made easy enough

If you have a list of calibers, I am willing to offer my services by destroying those which will fit my guns.

Is it defective or just confiscated from criminals?

HAHA! No they are mostly old corroded 50 cal rounds and such found on the beaches, or the crap that grandma came across thats all rusty. Just garbage rounds. Thanks for the offer........and the chuckle.

Glockaholic demonstrates the true genius of a follower of Gaston Glock and the Dark Side with an excellent practical suggestion. I have seen similar set-ups on a few ranges for people to dispose of dud rounds. With only minor work it can be made lockable and can be chained down if security is a concern.

Could a 50 cal ammo box ( 10 bucks at Rounds Hardware in Stoneham) be adapted by drilling a hole in the top for initial disposal. then the ammo could be transferred into a plastic can for final disposal?

If you have a Vo-Tech school with a sheet metal shop I bet they would make some for you, something with a flap mechanism that would prevent ammo from being removed could be made easy enough

Maybe something like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM74364709P?prdNo=13&blockNo=37&blockType=G37
74364709p

Powder coated steel and comes in at around $125 or so.

thanks for the ideas, i like that mailbox and also found a nice depository safe that was in the Grainger catalog. We'll see how much they let me spend

If you type "amnesty box" into a Google images search you should come up with a lot of ideas. Those things are everywhere in the military since being in possession of ammo anywhere other than at the range is a big no-no. We had to cobble together about a dozen of them when I was deployed out of scrap pieces of wood.

I think a depository safe might not work well. It's heavy and much more secure than it probably needs to be. More importantly, unless it has a removable case or basket, I think you might find it tedious and perhaps messy to empty.

uncoil.jpg

How about PVC pipe with one end glued permanantly, and the other end screw capped with a hole drilled in the middle to fit whatever size you need. You could also add a latch locking device on the side that unscrews.

small old lockable 1 file cabinet, put box in draw cut small hole in top. or fab a lactch and pad lock....DPW make one out of some old large pipe.

Back
Top Bottom