• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Shortage

Made my rounds this Saturday and definitely seeing a small improvement in ammo availability. Runnings in Claremont was selling so.e Blazer 9mm. But the score of the weekend was at Alstead Gun Shop. CCI HV 22LR @ ten bucks per hundred. They were limiting them, but I got 500 for fifty bucks.

20210322_083029.jpg

Made my rounds this Saturday and definitely seeing a small improvement in ammo availability. Runnings in Claremont was selling so.e Blazer 9mm. But the score of the weekend was at Alstead Gun Shop. CCI HV 22LR @ ten bucks per hundred. They were limiting them, but I got 500 for fifty bucks.

View attachment 464543
nice score. its been getting noticeably worse in my experience and everything is going for more and more than it was 2 weeks ago. crazy times for sure

What has really taken me by surprise is the shortage/high price of shotgun target loads. It never occurred to me to stockpile target loads. I usually buy 8-10 cases at the beginning of clays season and it gets me and the wife through most of the summer. Now all thats around are individual boxes at 3 and 4 times last years price and quantity limits.
Did manufacturers shift all their production over to buck shot and slugs?
It never made financial or time sense for me to invest in reloading shotshells and now there are shotgun primer and lead shot shortages not to mention press scarcity.
Fortunately, I did stockpile m2ball and will have to go through a pile of that this summer[smile]

What has really taken me by surprise is the shortage/high price of shotgun target loads. It never occurred to me to stockpile target loads. I usually buy 8-10 cases at the beginning of clays season and it gets me and the wife through most of the summer. Now all thats around are individual boxes at 3 and 4 times last years price and quantity limits.

Not a surprise at all, people gravitate to whats available. It just took almost a year for it to happen. Birdshot didnt start disappearing until the fall came along.

It would be worse if the lockdown wasn't depressing weekend session participation.

Actually I think the opposite has happened, I bet there are more people doing shotgun sports now than ever.... I mean think about it say your competitive pistol shooter and you just happen to have a couple of shotguns.... well last year you'd probably be like "well f*** it I'll just shoot sporting clays or skeet, trap or something. At least i can buy that stuff. "

Actually I think the opposite has happened, I bet there are more people doing shotgun sports now than ever.... I mean think about it say your competitive pistol shooter and you just happen to have a couple of shotguns.... well last year you'd probably be like "well f*** it I'll just shoot sporting clays or skeet, trap or something. At least i can buy that stuff. "
+1. Already looking for an o/u for this reason.

I bet there are more people doing shotgun sports now than ever.... I mean think about it say your competitive pistol shooter and you just happen to have a couple of shotguns.... well last year you'd probably be like "well f*** it I'll just shoot sporting clays or skeet, trap or something. At least i can buy that stuff. "

I signed up for a defensive shotgun class kind of under these terms. 200 rounds of birdshot 10 slugs 10 buckshot, easy to obtain and was easy to replace.

Did manufacturers shift all their production over to buck shot and slugs?
It never made financial or time sense for me to invest in reloading shotshells and now there are shotgun primer and lead shot shortages not to mention press scarcity.
Fortunately, I did stockpile m2ball and will have to go through a pile of that this summer[smile]

I usually keep a flat or so, (10 boxes), of 20GA and of 12GA for shooting skeet. I noticed that there wasn't any in Walmart or Bass Pro; so started asking my friends who are serious about shotguns. It's hard to find; and they're in the same position as I am with regards to primers - they can't find them; or at least not at reasonable prices.

I usually keep a flat or so, (10 boxes), of 20GA and of 12GA for shooting skeet. I noticed that there wasn't any in Walmart or Bass Pro; so started asking my friends who are serious about shotguns. It's hard to find; and they're in the same position as I am with regards to primers - they can't find them; or at least not at reasonable prices.

Fortunately I saw this coming a long long time ago.

Walmart and Bass Pro are getting target loads regularly, they just leave the shelves as fast as they appear. Their pricing is also somewhat normal if you're willing to check the store multiple times per week eventually you'll find something.

Both the trap and sporting clays programs I know about are operating at reduced capacity
(preregistration required, group size limits, and no admittance to indoor shelters).
Also I know a guy whose deliberately not set foot on the fields in a year,
because coronavirus. How many more are there?

I'm sure some guys must have come down with cabin fever
and discovered a strange new interest in shotgun sports.
But is it more than the number that are locked down?

So while I don't track headcounts,
it seems like the lockdown caused less opportunity and potentially less demand.

Again, this is a pandemic thing not a SHTF ammo-hoarding thing.
The question is how they interact in totality.

Both the trap and sporting clays programs I know about are operating at reduced capacity
(preregistration required, group size limits, and no admittance to indoor shelters).
Also I know a guy whose deliberately not set foot on the fields in a year,
because coronavirus. How many more are there?

I'm sure some guys must have come down with cabin fever
and discovered a strange new interest in shotgun sports.
But is it more than the number that are locked down?

So while I don't track headcounts,
it seems like the lockdown caused less opportunity and potentially less demand.

Again, this is a pandemic thing not a SHTF ammo-hoarding thing.
The question is how they interact in totality.

At my home club (Trap and Skeet) we are running at record breaking attendance as a result of COVID and the upsurge in new members. We are going through targets and ammunition at a pace we have never seen before.

Yes, seeing golden bullet 22lr and some other stuff starting to percolate into the channel.
Picked up a bucket today at Seabrook Walmart for $64 (4.5 cpr). I didn't go there looking for it, but was surprised they had 2 buckets left on the shelf. Only one to a customer. Everything else was barren except I think for a box of 350 Legend.

LOL.

Cheaper Than Dirt email this morning:

Lake City by Winchester .223 ......... No Purchase Limits!!!

Lake City by Winchester .223/5.56 NATO M193 Ammunition 20 Rounds FMJ 55 Grains W193​

Our low price..... $29.89

29.89x5 = $149.45 per 100

149.45x10 = $1494.50 per 1K

[rofl]

No shit there's no purchase limits............. who would buy ANY at that price

At my home club (Trap and Skeet) we are running at record breaking attendance as a result of COVID and the upsurge in new members. We are going through targets and ammunition at a pace we have never seen before.

Lots of new members at our club too. With a rather long waiting list now.

Their 1911s were bargains. But that's a crowded market to begin with.
Not given how poor the QC was. Those things were dumpster fires. I used to sell them when I worked the shows. Every f***ing gun was fitted differently... [rofl] There might have been like 1 in 4 I would take a leap on.

Dude, I can't find a nice 1911 to save my life.

I spent all afternoon yesterday combing gun stores and all they had were RIA and some Turkish made guns (Tilas, I think).

The SDS imports Turk stuff is actually okay, at least the fitment doesn't appear totally shitty. Granted, these are basic guns. If you want something nice and have more dough you should hold out for something better. RIA can vary from OK to "meh" definitely don't buy without putting hands on the thing first.

Not given how poor the QC was. Those things were dumpster fires. I used to sell them when I worked the shows. Every f***ing gun was fitted differently... [rofl] There might have been like 1 in 4 I would take a leap on.
The one I bought had everything fitted perfectly except for the trigger having slight side to side play until I tapered the trigger bow with a tool from Brownells.

RIA's with some dehorning & deburring can be perfectly fine for non-competition guns. They need some home gunsmithing to tidy up what the factory didn't finish.

Back
Top Bottom