Ammo Shortage

I'm not getting excited however, I'm noticing a little more ammo starting to show up around the country, not around here so much. The prices aren't bad at places like Academy, Sportsman, and Cabelas'/Bass Pro. We don't have Academy or Sportsmans around here but if you catch a Bass Pro or a Cabela's at the right time you may score. I know, what a pain in the arse. I also find a lot online some prices ok some not. Don't help much if you live in good ole Mass, but NH, Maine, Vermont you're good. I just refuse to pay $1.00 a round for something that was .25 to .35 cents a round a year ago. Someones making good money. Capitalism at its best or worse.
Anyone else see this?

I'm not getting excited however, I'm noticing a little more ammo starting to show up around the country, not around here so much. The prices aren't bad at places like Academy, Sportsman, and Cabelas'/Bass Pro. We don't have Academy or Sportsmans around here but if you catch a Bass Pro or a Cabela's at the right time you may score. I know, what a pain in the arse. I also find a lot online some prices ok some not. Don't help much if you live in good ole Mass, but NH, Maine, Vermont you're good. I just refuse to pay $1.00 a round for something that was .25 to .35 cents a round a year ago. Someones making good money. Capitalism at its best or worse.
Anyone else see this?
Not seeing much in the local shops at all.

Kittery is barw shelves today unless you have a 204 ruger or a 25-06. 😂

Just made my weekly rounds and nothing anywhere. I saw cheaper than dirt is selling Tula 223 at $50/ 20 pack. That's getting real close to my selling point...bought 150 boxes of that crap several years ago at Walmart for $5.47 each. Be a quick $7,000 profit. Maybe I'll wait a little longer...

I see local shops with a lot of hunting ammo but the prices are ridiculous, 30-06 20 rds $55-65.
Handgun ammo $50.00 for 50rds no way!! I'll wait.

Shooters outpost was the same Friday
Just rifle hunting ammo 308, 30-06 and some shotgun and 22 and the odd calibers
Powder seems to be drying up as well as reloading accessories there but what they have is higher than norm but reasonably priced for these times.

I scored some Winchester green tip 5.56 at Cabelas in Scarborough maine on wednesday for $12.99 per box of 20. Limit 5 boxes per person per day though. I went back the next morning but it was already gone.

I scored some Winchester green tip 5.56 at Cabelas in Scarborough maine on wednesday for $12.99 per box of 20. Limit 5 boxes per person per day though. I went back the next morning but it was already gone.

This is one reason why I encouraged my wife to get her LTC. During the post Newtown ammo shortage when Walmart was limiting ammo purchases, we went in together and bought ammunition. Since she rarely shoots, it was very good for me.

The clerk was suspicious, but since we both had our LTCs with us, he just rang them up as separate purchases. :)

I haven't seen anything at any of the places I go to except some random hunting stuff. I am mostly interested in handgun ammo and have not seen any.

What we used to know as "normal" prices and availability is several years away.

The market for ammo is much bigger with millions of new shooters who have no inventory. Demand will outstrip supply for years.

This is not a tinfoil opinion but rather the thinking of someone who has lived through 2 major shortages over the past 10-15 years. This is not going away anytime soon.

The market for ammo is much bigger with millions of new shooters who have no inventory. Demand will outstrip supply for years.

This is not a tinfoil opinion but rather the thinking of someone who has lived through 2 major shortages over the past 10-15 years. This is not going away anytime soon.
Agreed, those other shortages didn't have the surge in new owners like there has been now IMO.

I have been stopping by Cabelas in Hudson, Ma over the past 2 months. I've been lucky enough to pick up 380, 30-06, 300 blackout, 9mm, 10mm and 1k LRP. Picking it up to use when I take friends to the range. Always trying to encourage new shooters. Prices at the store have been reasonable. Unfortunately now it's a 5 box limit total no matter the caliber. It was 5 boxes per caliber just a few weeks ago.

Some people on NES are selling for $1 per round of 5.56.

$1,000 for 1,000 round case.

When you consider all the time and gas money wrapped up in daily trips to stores that have a 5 box limit - you may be better off paying a premium and getting a case at a premium price.

If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt for your 5 boxes and are out driving aimlessly about in the middle of covid then you may like to buy a little at a time.

My time is worth at least $13.50 an hour because that is minimum wage in Massachusetts.
I also need to consider the price of gas, wear and tear on my car, risking getting covid, and spending less time doing fun things because of endless travel to gun shops.

You might be right but my take on the majority of the new shooters is this might be a panic phase for them, meaning they really don’t even care to get into shooting all that much but want the security of owning a gun with today’s climate of lockdowns, rioting and the threat of ridiculous executive actions coming from Biden/Harris. If we can get through the bullshit going on and things “Calm down” a bit I believe the majority of these new gun owners will go back to not being all about their new gun purchase and lose interest. Time will tell

You can still get a 100 round linked belt of .50 BMG for $300:

federal-50bmg2.jpg

Last edited:
Some people on NES are selling for $1 per round of 5.56.
$1,000 for 1,000 round case.
When you consider all the time and gas money wrapped up in daily trips to stores that have a 5 box limit - you may be better off paying a premium and getting a case at a premium price.
ripoff. a gunbroker price of an .223 case is a $700 right now. velocity jerked 5.56 to a $919 and no one buys it - i see it sitting there now for 2 weeks, with no tax and free delivery. same as red army .223 they jerked up to $779 - no takers. all this idiocy starts to subdue, slowly.

Back
Top Bottom