• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo shortage??

Times like these I always think of the dullards who advocate for minimal cartridges in their collection. So many people love to brag how they have 9mm and 556 to keep it simple and that’s all that’s needed. It’s the dumbest of takes and you have to be lobotomized to forget times like these every few years.
It's not dumb if you're stocking those over time vs wasting the same money on the dumb calibers you didn't want. Most of the people that brag about that though, are skinflints and rarely buy case lots of ammo. Or they won't admit their wife is a c*** about them buying gun stuff, etc.

It's not dumb if you're stocking those over time vs wasting the same money on the dumb calibers you didn't want. Most of the people that brag about that though, are skinflints and rarely buy case lots of ammo. Or they won't admit their wife is a c*** about them buying gun stuff, etc.

Getting rid of the wife and stacking dozens of calibers are some of my best decisions in life.

It’s interesting to see the panic buying and the folks complaining about pricing already. The cost for standard fodder such as 5.56, 7.62, 9, 45 are not even close to the 2011-2012 panic. I’ve rotated through some of it over the last few years with tags showing $360. /1000 for m193. This is compared to what the ammo whores on the web were getting upwards of $500+ for the same stuff...
As time goes on until the election it’s gonna keep going up. Panic and horde mentality just makes it worse.

I totally agree with what the old guard has been saying right along- stack it high and deep !

Charlie-Mike, 63F out

I'm looking forward to all the posts in the next 7 months where ill prepared people complain about ammo availability and price. Popcorn time!!! Is that wrong? LOL.

I have 50,000 rounds in my garage, so I'm not concerned for myself. But the fact is, the manufacturers can't change their "floors" unless they're illegally colluding. When oil prices drop, it takes a few weeks, but eventually gasoline prices drop too. The only way prices stay permanently higher is if a) demand doesn't eventually drop back to where it was or b) if suppliers cut production, which I don't see happening without collusion (the way OPEC does). During the Obama years, prices were higher because there was more demand that didn't go away and suppliers had fewer manufacturing plants.

I have 50,000 rounds in my garage, so I'm not concerned for myself. But the fact is, the manufacturers can't change their "floors" unless they're illegally colluding. When oil prices drop, it takes a few weeks, but eventually gasoline prices drop too. The only way prices stay permanently higher is if a) demand doesn't eventually drop back to where it was or b) if suppliers cut production, which I don't see happening without collusion (the way OPEC does). During the Obama years, prices were higher because there was more demand that didn't go away and suppliers had fewer manufacturing plants.
They don't have to talk to each other to collude, which makes it legal. One price gets tweaked, other guy sees it, does the same, etc. Manufacturers not quite as guilty; they usually increase based on labor costs. If demand is high enough to run 3 shifts of workers that means they're either paying more people or paying a lot of OT.

The mids do more f***ing around with the prices. They ping pong with their peers to see who can be the biggest a**h***. This only stops/recedes when lack of sales volume kills profits.

Also worth reading into "sticky price" and inflation. The reason 9mm didn't go below $160/case is because raw material costs etc vs early 2000s are somewhat higher. (In 2004 a case of 9mm was $120!). Inflation plays a role here. Hell there are guns that cost $100+ more than they did back then, too.

WELL DONE Sir !!
Like you, over time, I've just stockpiled ammo and sat on it..... Bought low at times, and yes, VERY low too when I was a FFL. thus the "stockpile" effect.
Don't wanna go on about it, but if the Zombie Hords (or the Lawless Living ) come to my door, I won't have ANY issue holding down the fort.

Eh? isn't "perceived recoil" as much relative to psychology as physics?
In any event regarding ammo shortages of 9mm/5.56/12ga/.38 special etc., I don't worry cuz I only use .41 mag, 6.5 Grendel, .16 ga, and .38 super LOL!!!!!!!!!!

recoil is literally momentum, m*v
its that simple
spread the momentum over time and it becomes perceived as lesser
an auto loader accomplishes this by storing some of the momentum as energy in a recoil spring, again spreading out the event over time

sonic crack, muzzle blast, etc these all factor into the experience but the physical recoil itself is just momentum

kinetic energy, which is of course what everyone gets excited about, is not conserved thus pushing lighter projectiles at proportionally higher velocity will always result in less momentum (and recoil)

It’s interesting to see the panic buying and the folks complaining about pricing already. The cost for standard fodder such as 5.56, 7.62, 9, 45 are not even close to the 2011-2012 panic. I’ve rotated through some of it over the last few years with tags showing $360. /1000 for m193. This is compared to what the ammo whores on the web were getting upwards of $500+ for the same stuff...
As time goes on until the election it’s gonna keep going up. Panic and horde mentality just makes it worse.

I totally agree with what the old guard has been saying right along- stack it high and deep !

Charlie-Mike, 63F out

My daughter wanted another box of 380 just incase Philly turns to chaos. I grabbed one from my stack and it was marked $24 bucks. 2012 was some crazy shit.

Don't forget the 38SPL, 357 Mag, 44Spl 44Mag and 45 colt calibers that may be next on the Hot list (Especially 38spl and 357 Mag) Just an Observation, YMMV
NOTHING Bad about having EXTRA Wheelgun ammo at your disposal.

Times like these I always think of the dullards who advocate for minimal cartridges in their collection. So many people love to brag how they have 9mm and 556 to keep it simple and that’s all that’s needed. It’s the dumbest of takes and you have to be lobotomized to forget times like these every few years.

So you have 200 guns in 200 different calibers and I have one FAL in .308 with 10k rounds in South African battlepacks.

Who wins in a battle ?

So you have 200 guns in 200 different calibers and I have one FAL in .308 with 10k rounds in South African battlepacks.

Who wins in a battle ?

I think we just love guns and sometimes that dictates a whole spread of cartridges :)..

Myself though I kinda standardize .22lr, 5.56, 7.62 NATO (or .308) for rifles and then own a host of one-of other stuff where I don't feel the need to stock deep for..

9mm & .40 for handguns and similarly a bunch of other stuff I don't shoot often.

I noticed 5.56 selection is low & price up a touch on bulk ammo (ie just paid .32/round when lately I prefer .28 for decent quality brass 55 grain).. but it's there. I bought a little high so as not to be digging into my stash, that price isn't outrageous but could be worse later..

Very little impact on 7.62/.308 from what I can tell.. still paying < .50..

What calibers exactly are people running on? Lots of talk about 9mm here, assume that's one. What else?

$24 for .380 and I refused to pay $18 yesterday. I can't believe .380 is more than 9mm.
They don't make as much of it because demand is usually weak, so when a crisis happens, the channel gets drained quickly.

A friend of my son's went to Bass Pro in Hooksett, NH yesterday to buy some fishing stuff. He told my son that the ree-ree's had picked the ammo shelves bare. Additionally, a guy who I sell brass to called me looking for some. He is a commercial loader who sets up at NH Shoes; he said he did more business by Noon yesterday at the Concord Bektash Show than he did on both days in West Lebanon. I praise the folks at FCAC for not falling in to the fake news trap, and am hoping that the NHAC Show,(also at the Bektash Shrine), will go on as planned next Saturday.

Who wins in a battle ?

...The man with more cinderblocks for sale. [laugh]

(PS, for those reading this is a top 10 nes obscure reference, for the best yard sale post ever )

Plenty of ammo in Champaign, IL - too bad the mayor there just decided you can't buy any.

If I was an FFL in that city I would be quickly forming some strategic partnerships with FFLs just outside the city lines.
Or...just continue to sell it and wait for the court order telling me I can't

You have the good sense to have a nice reserve, but yet think prices and supply will go back to before all this panic buying? C'mon! Recent history has demonstrated time and time again that ammo prices will rise and availability will be limited after mass shootings, natural calamities, legislative threats and presidential elections. It won't go back to "normal" until after Trump wins in November. I would love to eat crow on this, but we've all seen this movie before. That's why you have 50,000 rds and I have enough to last until the next two election cycles.

Checked out TargetSportsUSA yesterday. Added a few things to the cart and then noticed they are quoting 10 day shipping lead times.

YIKES!

With the run on ammo going on, just about everyone in the business that still has any stock left or who's site hasn't crashed is quoting 6-10 days.

The UPS and FEDEX truck suspensions are going to get a good workout for the next few weeks. [smile]

Why would I or anyone want a bunch of ammo in odd ball calibers that I have no guns for? If I'm going to tie money up in a supply, it's going to be something that is readily useable....by me or 99% of others.

Standardizing with common calibers has its advantages and I buy my ammo when its cheap and available, not when the price has risen through the roof and people are scrambling for the last case in the country. 😄

Last edited:
When did you place your order and when did you receive it?
I ordered 2 weeks ago. Perfect timing! I received it a day or two longer than usual, but other than that I got in less than 5 days.
Target Sports USA has free shipping on 1,000 round case. I just heard that they are telling people 10 days now.

Went to crapellas today,all out of hand gun ammo.Looks like the gov is up to the old obummer tricks.

It looks more like people are up to their old "wait until the last minute" tricks to buy ammo that they could have and should have purchased all along for the past few years.
Government has nothing to do with it, people just prioritized other things and are now scrambling. The supply chain only works so fast to replentish itself.

Back
Top Bottom