• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo shortage??

619 DW Guns in Merrimack NH has been cleaned out of 7.62x39 for days. But they say they’re getting more soon. Prices are TBD

Cabela's was cleaned out of 9,45 and cheap .223/5.56. still had a bunch of the more expensive match ammo for rifles though. Shotgun selection was decent too earlier. Looks like they had just got some powder in though.

Like @92G said, .40 is the way to go. There was a shit ton on the shelves still.

Cabela's was cleaned out of 9,45 and cheap .223/5.56. still had a bunch of the more expensive match ammo for rifles though. Shotgun selection was decent too earlier. Looks like they had just got some powder in though.

Like @92G said, .40 is the way to go. There was a shit ton on the shelves still.
I was almost going to stop by Cabelas today after the Worcester IDPA match just to see what they had but didn’t. Ended up grabbing some sport pistol powder at Glenn’s in N. Reading. He’s got a good stock of powder there.

As of yesterday my 38 sp. cabinet matches the other ammo cabinets-----------------FULL. Fedex guy wanted to know if I was planning on starting a war. I said only if the Dumbocrats get in. He predicted a Trump win and a Republican House. I can only Hope he is right. I hope he didn't get a hernia :) Stay well all............ Stash

Decided to bite the bullet and borrow some money, is 32 cents a round of .223 alright? Would be $325 if 1k, or should I sit here all day and wait for lower price ammo to come into stock? Was about to buy some wolf gold (30 cents) but that literally only lasted 30 seconds before going out of stock. Or should I just wait for this whole thing to blow over then buy ammo again? (outside of very small quantities for test firing my ar build)

Decided to bite the bullet and borrow some money, is 32 cents a round of .223 alright? Would be $325 if 1k, or should I sit here all day and wait for lower price ammo to come into stock? Was about to buy some wolf gold (30 cents) but that literally only lasted 30 seconds before going out of stock. Or should I just wait for this whole thing to blow over then buy ammo again? (outside of very small quantities for test firing my ar build)
IMO 32 isn't terrible but it's more than it's been lately

Depends what brand.
I’d wait until next week and see what Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody has. He’s getting a big delivery of 9 and 223/556. He sells by the case or by the box.

Depends what brand.
I’d wait until next week and see what Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody has. He’s getting a big delivery of 9 and 223/556

The brands were PMC and Prvi Partizan on targetsports, they seem to be the only ones around 30 cents that doesnt get bought up in 17.9 nano seconds. But it might not be bought up for a reason...

I did hear about the shipment, but Peabody is around a 1 and a half hour drive from me (if not more) so simply cant swing by to check...

Thirtytwo cents a round is fine considering the state of things. Some people routinely pay double that for different brands.

c
The brands were PMC and Prvi Partizan on targetsports, they seem to be the only ones around 30 cents that doesnt get bought up in 17.9 nano seconds. But it might not be bought up for a reason...

I did hear about the shipment, but Peabody is around a 1 and a half hour drive from me (if not more) so simply cant swing by to check...
Ohh gotcha. I bought a case of Prvi M193 last year for $300. Good stuff. So $320 isn’t horrible I guess. If it’s still in stock I’d grab a case.

As a reference point, I paid $0.27/round for Federal American Eagle 5.56 (1K round box) mid-summer 2019.

Don't know if that is a joke or not, but I'll take that chance. PM sent. [smile]

No joke :)

Also, if you see something you want for $10/case more than you WANT to spend, ask yourself if you'd rather have slightly expensive ammo and no cash or $10 and no ammo. Answer should be obvious.

Last edited:
Checked out TargetSportsUSA yesterday. Added a few things to the cart and then noticed they are quoting 10 day shipping lead times.

YIKES!

People shouldnt get too hung up on small price increases. If you were used to paying $0.28/rd and now its at $0.32/rd, that an increase of $40. Dont get me wrong, if a couple of $20 bills were lying on the ground, Id take the time to pick them up, but if you were to go through a case of ammo in a month, that extra $40 represents a dollar and change a day. So for the cost of a cup of shitty coffee you can keep shooting (AND importantly, ADDING TO THE PILE)

perceived recoil is a function of momentum, which is conserved
unrelated to chamber pressures, which is the issue at hand

Eh? isn't "perceived recoil" as much relative to psychology as physics?
In any event regarding ammo shortages of 9mm/5.56/12ga/.38 special etc., I don't worry cuz I only use .41 mag, 6.5 Grendel, .16 ga, and .38 super LOL!!!!!!!!!!

People shouldnt get too hung up on small price increases. If you were used to paying $0.28/rd and now its at $0.32/rd, that an increase of $40. Dont get me wrong, if a couple of $20 bills were lying on the ground, Id take the time to pick them up, but if you were to go through a case of ammo in a month, that extra $40 represents a dollar and change a day. So for the cost of a cup of shitty coffee you can keep shooting (AND importantly, ADDING TO THE PILE)
Agreed

556/223/9mm45... and 40 cal will be in demand.... STOCK UP on 22LR and 22Mag if you can......Just like several years back.. Remember that shit show? 22LR will be next... Buy LOW when you can...
Just a PSM and FYI...

I saw this on one of the MA gun Facebook groups. Cape Gun Works has Norma 223 for $149.99 per 500 rounds. Not sure if it’s still in stock or close to you. With sales tax it’s cheaper than the PMC from TSUSA.
DE69E956-C816-4F3A-8A9B-C72F7AB12BA4.jpeg

Times like these I always think of the dullards who advocate for minimal cartridges in their collection. So many people love to brag how they have 9mm and 556 to keep it simple and that’s all that’s needed. It’s the dumbest of takes and you have to be lobotomized to forget times like these every few years.

I think perspective is important. I remember paying 300 bucks for a case of 9 at one point during the 2nd obamascare. 200 isn't horrendous. Just not a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom