Ammo Shortage To Continue Until Summer 2021

I think Mr Boudrie provided some info in another thread for primers if there was a willing dealer.
This. I think it was posted in the where can I find primers thread?
Northeast Arms offered to help be the accepting dealer but they need someone to coordinate everything with the buyers and money etc.
@Uzi2

What are you waiting for????

Twenty or thirty people in on a group buy could eat up 500,000 primers with ease. My usual primer purchases in the past were 25,000 at a time of each SR, LR, LP and sometimes SP but usually substituted SR in their place.
I offered in another thread.

One person (not on NES) took me up on the offer and sent my contact $38k for 1M SPP. I just received an update that the import license has been granted, and the German export license application is being prepared (apparently they need the US import license first). So, another month or two for delivery.

One club I consider highly credible is looking at a 500K order. The next order is probably a month or so away - we literally get included in the factory's production plan (sounds strange considering it is a $1B+ company, but it is what it is).

One catch is these are landed a few hours away, and primers==ammo under MA law so there is the issue of distributing that many without being considered to "sell ammo without a license".

Then, of course, there are those who figure I am being taken for a ride on the entire deal and I couldn't possibly have such a connection.

I offered in another thread.

One person (not on NES) took me up on the offer and sent my contact $38k for 1M SPP. I just received an update that the import license has been granted, and the German export license application is being prepared (apparently they need the US import license first). So, another month or two for delivery.

One club I consider highly credible is looking at a 500K order. The next order is probably a month or so away - we literally get included in the factory's production plan (sounds strange considering it is a $1B+ company, but it is what it is).

One catch is these are landed a few hours away, and primers==ammo under MA law so there is the issue of distributing that many without being considered to "sell ammo without a license".
Damn. I wish I had 38k kicking around to blow on reloading stuff. Jealous 😂

Damn. I wish I had 38k kicking around to blow on reloading stuff. Jealous 😂
The buy-in was only half that; the 38K was for a full million. And to the AG's minions - this was a friend in another state who is getting the primers and no, there is not some NES member sitting on 1M primers from that order.

The buy-in was only half that; the 38K was for a full million. And to the AG's minions - this was a friend in another state who is getting the primers and no, there is not some NES member sitting on 1M primers from that order.
Someone take out a loan and buy 500k....

Ammo makers and retailers see no end in sight for the rampant ammunition shortage, estimating that the supply won’t rebound before summer 2021.

Hit by an unexpected pandemic and civil unrest, ammo companies have struggled to keep pace with surging demands for popular home defense and concealed carry calibers.

Popular Pistol Calibers

Does this mean .25acp. .32acp, 9mm Mak, .44 spec. .44 magnum, .308 and .30-06 are still readily available ???

When does Remington start delivering in volume again?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMWsO_-X7Y

Seriously though, Vista bought Remington's ammo business... and it sounds like they're tooling up to begin production again... but remember, that shits been down for
months probably at this point, (between rona and the bankruptcy etc) and they going to be waaaay behind. This is good news regardless, though....

Right. But it isn't like they are starting anew. It is the same machines, workers, etc. It should ramp up quickly.

Right. But it isn't like they are starting anew. It is the same machines, workers, etc. It should ramp up quickly.

Dude have you ever heard of the term "cold start" ? The logistics chain etc for such an operation is massive.

Plus even if they are producing ammo, it's like trying to fill a drinking water reservoir by pissing in it. If they keep pissing 24/7 for a few months, you might see some
accumulation... but its going to take awhile.

It's all this f***ing corona bullshit, IMHO. Lots of facilites were basically closed for a month, sometimes longer, or production cut way back for those times. Some still may not be
at full output. So you have like 2 months worth of lost production (March, April) which correlate to peak demand for guns in america in like our lifetime.

The fact that this wasn't a lot worse, sooner, is actually some kind of a f***in miracle, actually. But there are a lot of input factors into the general malaise here.

Yup. I listed .38Spl and .40S&W ammo yesterday and within 24 hrs I've had 4 people offer to buy the same WWB .38Spl. Obviously I underpriced it and when it's gone, it's gone. I priced under ammoseek.com prices for the same or similar ammo, and their links only ran to "out of stock" pages. What this tells me is that the free market is willing to pay probably 50% more than I priced it for without a blink of the eye.
I sold my old generator yesterday. Reliable for 10 - 15 years, but didn't want to run at this season's test. Tried the obvious stuff with no luck. Tried to find a repair place, but the engine manufacturer is out of business and spare parts are hard to come by, so no luck there. Put it on Craigslist with an honest description and a price that was great if someone could get it running and bad if it remained a boat anchor. Got a call from someone who put in a bid that I accepted. He came down to pick it up.

He backed into my driveway, opened the door of the truck, and handed me the cash before he said "Hello". Makes me think I was a bit low. ;)

I've only been a gun guy tor one shortage (2016) and it lasted...what, a year?

There's guys out there thinking ammo will never come back. Same ones as the last shortage.

Shortage to continue until the summer of 2021. LMAO! [rofl] Does anyone here really believe that?
I think it is more like 12-18 months, if you look at what happened during the last two runs on ammo. Just be patient. Who has time to go to the range anyway?
Not me.

There's guys out there thinking ammo will never come back. Same ones as the last shortage.

I’ve only been through one other as a ‘gun guy’ as well and remember looking forward to my annual qualification with the marine corps so I could actually shoot 5.56!

You gotta admit, this ‘shortage’ (non-existence) feels a LOT different than the last one. I have a bad feeling we’re completely f***ed moving forward, but I DO appreciate the optimism in this thread.

My plan is to shoot what I have until I only have enough left for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/insurrection/zombies, then if I get desperate I’ll start seeing what my neighbors are holding 😂

I thought I was stocked up fairly well (6 months supply). Turns out fairly well means not enough.
I live in walking distance to the local range. I used to hear shooting so often that I grew numb to it. Now when I hear it, I’m like “wow hope he doesn’t get mugged for his ammo!”

This is the biggest shortage and demand on guns and ammo in history. So it’s hard to say when it will come back when this isn’t anything like 08-09, 2012, 2016 etc

This is the biggest shortage and demand on guns and ammo in history. So it’s hard to say when it will come back when this isn’t anything like 08-09, 2012, 2016 etc
Yeah there's definitely the issue of compounding events. COVID, the riots, creepy uncle Joe, and everything else causing the perfect storm.

I hope that once the pandemic ends, people will start to calm down. Of course, some sort of gun control measure will drop immediately I'm sure and start it up again.

I should start shooting my crossbow and air guns more.

I was in a shop today that had 22 ammo 325 count with a price of $50. I have several boxes with $15 price tag on them. Crazy. I would tell everyone to stop buying ammo. Middle men are buying it all up and jacking up prices. Stop buying and leave those middlemen with a bunch of stock they can't sell. Only then will the price come down.

Baring any sweeping bans, I bet this shortage runs at least 1-2 years...probably longer [thinking]
Yep.
I think I heard Hornady say that if ammo orders stopped today, they would still need like 2 years to fulfill the current orders. Insane.

Yep.
I think I heard Hornady say that if ammo orders stopped today, they would still need like 2 years to fulfill the current orders. Insane.
Unless manufactures are Unilaterally forced to cancel outstanding orders because of new restrictions imposed under the new administration, then it may clear up some of those back orders.

Yep.

At what point does one increase manufacturing capacity? Money now is worth more than money later. The number of new gun owners means an increase in demand that’s not going to subside when things calm down. A few million new gun owners means an increase of hundreds of millions of rounds. At some point production would need to increase, no?

At what point does one increase manufacturing capacity? Money now is worth more than money later. The number of new gun owners means an increase in demand that’s not going to subside when things calm down. A few million new gun owners means an increase of hundreds of millions of rounds. At some point production would need to increase, no?

With Biden in office and Dem controlled Senate/House, no manufacturer will be investing in any significant expansion of ammo production capacity.

With Biden in office and Dem controlled Senate/House, no manufacturer will be investing in any significant expansion of ammo production capacity.
This is the crux of the matter. Supply chain is one thing but we have anti-gunners in control of the big three. I’m just waiting for an exhorbitant tax and/or outright ban on ammo sales online let alone bans on imports. It’s a bare minimum of 2 years of pain for us.

With anti-gun zealots taking control in Congress and White House shortly, thus unknown new restrictions and laws hanging over manufacturers heads. It would not be a wise decision to make large capital investments to increase capacity.

This is the crux of the matter. Supply chain is one thing but we have anti-gunners in control of the big three. I’m just waiting for an exhorbitant tax and/or outright ban on ammo sales online let alone bans on imports. It’s a bare minimum of 2 years of pain for us.

An online ammo sales ban doesn’t stifle demand though. Also to the response above, increasing capacity and sales now, gets money in one’s pocket to be able to invest before things happen. If there’s a 2 year backup and stuff goes south in a year, you’ve left more than a years worth of sales on the table, no? Maybe I’m looking at this wrong, but if I had the opportunity for $1,000 today, or $2,000 a year from now, I’d take the $1,000 today. Inflation, loss of potential investment revenue, any number of other reasons, money is worth more now than tomorrow.

Strike while the iron’s hot, as they say.
Maybe I just want them to make more ammo... 😕

Back
Top Bottom