Ammo Shortage To Continue Until Summer 2021

That came with my press, you could probably buy the kits and resell for more as pieces

Absolutely - if you could actually buy one of the kits.

I've been looking for a few pieces of reloading gear over the last few weeks - and it's insane , it's like everything is sold out everywhere. So I go check out Ebay - and occasionally I'll make a hit on something that isn't at a retarded price, but usually people are asking for insane prices - and they're getting people bidding on them.

I was looking for a case feeder plate from Dillon - and they had them listed as back-ordered. Said you can put the order in - and they'll send it out when they get it, the site was listing like 4 weeks. Got lucky on that one I guess - because I put the order in on Tuesday and they just sent email this morning saying the thing is getting shipped.

Absolutely - if you could actually buy one of the kits.

I've been looking for a few pieces of reloading gear over the last few weeks - and it's insane , it's like everything is sold out everywhere. So I go check out Ebay - and occasionally I'll make a hit on something that isn't at a retarded price, but usually people are asking for insane prices - and they're getting people bidding on them.

I was looking for a case feeder plate from Dillon - and they had them listed as back-ordered. Said you can put the order in - and they'll send it out when they get it, the site was listing like 4 weeks. Got lucky on that one I guess - because I put the order in on Tuesday and they just sent email this morning saying the thing is getting shipped.
I'm just getting into it, and have only 1 shell holder I need so far. The others are on indefinite back order.

No plans on selling that book though

Thankful I've been buying extra over the past 5 years. I feel for new folks looking for ammo. Some guns out here in S. woo woo county are flying off the shelves. But, hardly any ammo for even new guns. Or priced really high.

The Hornady 10th edition reloading manual goes for $34.99 on Midway, but it's out of stock.
Took a look on Ebay - and the completed and sold auctions - have the book going for anywhere from $89.00 to $135. With the average seeming to be right around $99.00
WTF.
Apparently the target market is survivalists who aren't technical enough to extract the $20 e-book edition from their Kindle and print a hard copy?
3rd and 4th editions are available free on archive.org

This is a high quality hard cover book though

Yeah - exactly. Sure - I can buy the Kindle edition - but I don't have a Kindle. So what - now I have to go buy a Kindle - and then expend a ream of paper plus the laser toner to print it out, plus a 3 ring binder to put it in? Pretty sure I'm better off buying the hardbound copy for $34 - if I can find one.

Yeah - exactly. Sure - I can buy the Kindle edition - but I don't have a Kindle. So what - now I have to go buy a Kindle - and then expend a ream of paper plus the laser toner to print it out, plus a 3 ring binder to put it in? Pretty sure I'm better off buying the hardbound copy for $34 - if I can find one.

You could always put the Kindle app on any other tablet, if you have one. That’s what I did (for other books).

Worst case I can make copies of pages you want

I was reacting to the scalpers selling this $42 book for $89.00 to $135

Download the Hornady app on your phone?

That's actually a pretty sweet way to get the eleventh edition when it comes out....
It was supposed to be released last fall. Figure it can't be too far off?
I just signed up for it. Probably be pretty damn handy having it right on your phone. I have an old tablet kicking around that can actually be a dedicated reloading bench fixture too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-224346_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-224346_Chrome.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 10
You could always put the Kindle app on any other tablet, if you have one. That’s what I did (for other books).
I actually don't even have a tablet. I have a laptop - which I almost never use. Mostly I work at a desktop - with a good size monitor and real keyboard. I have a love/hate relationship with using my phone, at my age I need reading glasses to use the thing and avoid using it when I can use a real computer and/or a book instead.

I also refuse to pay the retard pricing on stuff that people are getting on Ebay/gunbroker. I just signed up in a couple of places for an alert when the book comes back into stock and I'll buy then. If I get to the point where I REALLY need something I'll just go download the pdf or whatever and print out the specific pages of info I need.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to panic buying sprees. I just like them more from the seller side of things - than the panic buyer side of things. Way back in Jan/Feb 2020 when it became obvious that the Cornholeya virus was coming here - I stocked up on masks at regular market prices just before everything became sold out everywhere. Even bulk bought a bunch of the N95 respirator style cartridge filters. At first I figured it was a stock-up / survivalist type situation. Then it started to become clear that much of what was going on was hype/paranoia - so I started selling off the mask cache. Once it was all said and done I pretty much sold off everything - and lived for the last year using the same 12 3M N95 masks I had kept.

I made a hefty profit on those masks - bought myself a sweet roll around toolbox and hutch and got my garage nice and organized.

Worst case I can make copies of pages you want
I was reacting to the scalpers selling this $42 book for $89.00 to $135
Hornady has a reloading app for iphone and amdroid, 10th edition is part of it.

Thanks for the offer - I don't need the thing right away - I can wait. I'm absolutely sure Hornady will be getting more in stock. Book printing/binding is at least outside the same supply chain of factories for ammo and reloading gear, so they've probably got whoever they contract to manufacture the books making a shit-ton more right now.

I mostly posted because I thought it was semi-retarded for people to be paying like 3-4x the list price on Ebay for a friggin book. Especially considering - as you guys pointed out - that you can just find the pages online and print them if you REALLY need them.

But I also think there's probably a lot of people out there now - who have the money to spend and just don't care that they just spent that 3-4X retail price. They just want it now and so they spend the money. That was what was going on when I was selling those masks I mentioned. A 2 pack of N95 replacement cartridges was like $5.95 retail price. I paid like $4.95 in bulk. People were WILLINGLY paying like $35.00 for a 2 pack of the replacement filters - and were sending me email thanking me profusely for even having them. I wasn't even rape pricing. I was selling below what most other people were selling for. Then Ebay banned fixed price mask selling. But other listings stayed up. I was like WTF. Until I figured out that if you just omitted certain keywords and posted the things in an auction format instead of fixed price - they flew under Ebay's radar. So I posted more auctions - with a minimum of just above normal retail. People paid even MORE than they did previously. It was just effed up. But it was the same behavior I noticed before during the Obama era gun buying sprees. Probably half the people who were buying - the masks were claiming they were doctors. Might not have been - I don't know.

I've got a simple solution for people who complain about rapey pricing : don't pay. That's what I do. I won't pay $129 for a Hornady book that I'm absolutely sure they've got a big order out for right now to print more of. I'll just wait. If you pay $129 for one - that's on you and nobody else.

That's actually a pretty sweet way to get the eleventh edition when it comes out....
It was supposed to be released last fall. Figure it can't be too far off?
I just signed up for it. Probably be pretty damn handy having it right on your phone. I have an old tablet kicking around that can actually be a dedicated reloading bench fixture too.

So Hornady wants to get you for $19.99 a *year* - for a phone app?

Mexican, you mean like Aguila? Yeah it is kinda weird lately... less Aguila, PMC (South Korean) and Tula around. But I suspect its probably imported in large lots. If the importer cant fill a container with it or container(s) theyre not going to ship partials, etc.
I wonder - had anybody at the mill looked at the possibility to start a direct import business? Or is it locked too tight at the federal level?

Thankful I've been buying extra over the past 5 years. I feel for new folks looking for ammo. Some guns out here in S. woo woo county are flying off the shelves. But, hardly any ammo for even new guns. Or priced really high.

I'm still sitting on ammo I bought 12 + years ago. Just last week, I stumbled across 10 boxes of 100-pack WWB 9mm I had crammed into the back of a gun cabinet (its full of 10 to 15 year old ammo box purchases). I do remember that I bought it at WM, but I can't remember exactly what I paid (maybe something like $20 - $25 each?) 😀.
I recently saw one site advertising it at $89.99 and others selling for $100 +.

I didn't realize how deep the cabinet was and I had no idea that there were 2 more rows of boxed ammo behind the 2 rows that I thought I had.

Sometimes I really love not being able to remember things [laugh]

I wonder - had anybody at the mill looked at the possibility to start a direct import business? Or is it locked too tight at the federal level?
Lol good luck with that. That’s more of a money problem than a regulatory one. Plus companies like aguila, pmc or others might have their own importer or act as their own anyways. Someone who knows eastern europe might be able to get some ammo direct from one of the old combloc factories still in business. Given current administration the risk there is enormous.

However... even if you had the money at this point to buy a 20 foot container of ammo do you have any idea how long it would take for them to even ship that thing with all the back orders in the marketplace? Lol. It’s a little late for wallhacks. The time for wallhacks was Feb of 2020....

I'm still sitting on ammo I bought 12 + years ago. Just last week, I stumbled across 10 boxes of 100-pack WWB 9mm I had crammed into the back of a gun cabinet (its full of 10 to 15 year old ammo box purchases). I do remember that I bought it at WM, but I can't remember exactly what I paid (maybe something like $20 - $25 each?) 😀.
I recently saw one site advertising it at $89.99 and others selling for $100 +.

I didn't realize how deep the cabinet was and I had no idea that there were 2 more rows of boxed ammo behind the 2 rows that I thought I had.

Sometimes I really love not being able to remember things [laugh]

Pretty much the same here. I found a bunch of once fired brass and ammo in calibers I don't even own guns for any more. I totally forgot I even had it. Looking at the prices lately - that stuff is getting sold. There's some reloading equipment I would love to get.

So Hornady wants to get you for $19.99 a *year* - for a phone app?
To be fair, you can run the app on a tablet too /s

I am tempted by the subscription option mentioned by @Blueskyday -- sounds like $39.98 will net you 2 years of the app, updates with 11th edition changes, then eventually a hardcopy of the 11th edition (a $43 value).

Hornady's going all in on monetizing this -- third option is to download the free app, pay $1 for "permanent" access to each loading you actually need.

To be fair, you can run the app on a tablet too /s

I am tempted by the subscription option mentioned by @Blueskyday -- sounds like $39.98 will net you 2 years of the app, updates with 11th edition changes, then eventually a hardcopy of the 11th edition (a $43 value).

Hornady's going all in on monetizing this -- third option is to download the free app, pay $1 for "permanent" access to each loading you actually need.
Exactly the way I was looking at it.
Plus if I find I don't use the app, just cancel in eleven months and I got the 11th edition for twenty bux plus a year of the app.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Summer 2021 will not be the end of the ammo shortage.

My guess is it will run until at least November of 2022, and perhaps forever.

It's very difficult to figure out when morons will run out of cash. That's basically the first prong of this. The 2nd prong is likely going to be around for a long ass time because of increased overall demand.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Summer 2021 will not be the end of the ammo shortage.

My guess is it will run until at least November of 2022, and perhaps forever.
It all depends on what the Godforsaken leftist Dims are going to do to us. I suspect they will block all imports of ammo via an EO and then stop on-line sales of ammo... plus add a new ammo tax and remove legal protection for firearm and ammo manufacturers through repeal the PLCAA. And if they crank up their Dominion vote cheating machines in November 20 2022, it's going to get even worse. People not already in full panic mode due to stashed supplies will see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Then it will really get ugly. [thinking]

It all depends on what the Godforsaken leftist Dims are going to do to us. I suspect they will block all imports of ammo via an EO and then stop on-line sales of ammo... plus add a new ammo tax and remove legal protection for firearm and ammo manufacturers through repeal the PLCAA. And if they crank up their Dominion vote cheating machines in November 20 2022, it's going to get even worse. People not already in full panic mode due to stashed supplies will see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Then it will really get ugly. [thinking]
Then? Lol. Frankly if the succeed in any of the stuff you mentioned, things are going to get f***ey pretty fast. The industry will likely open its own canoe factory.

Then? Lol. Frankly if the succeed in any of the stuff you mentioned, things are going to get f***ey pretty fast. The industry will likely open its own canoe factory.
Well, the Dims sure are trying like Hell to do it all. This is their one big opportunity to screw us to the wall. Dementia Joe will sign anything they put in front of him and I don't see SCOTUS objecting to any of it. I have gone from mildly optimistic (that there would someday be an end to the current ammo crisis)... to pessimistic... to outright fuggedaboutit! What I've got is what I've got and I don't see a happy end in sight. [thinking]

Well, the Dims sure are trying like Hell to do it all. This is their one big opportunity to screw us to the wall. Dementia Joe will sign anything they put in front of him and I don't see SCOTUS objecting to any of it. I have gone from mildly optimistic (that there would someday be an end to the current ammo crisis)... to pessimistic... to outright fuggedaboutit! What I've got is what I've got and I don't see a happy end in sight. [thinking]

Never fear. Our conservative SCOTUS will step up to the plate and refuse to hear a case regarding a federal EO that's anti 2A.

Lol good luck with that. That’s more of a money problem than a regulatory one. Plus companies like aguila, pmc or others might have their own importer or act as their own anyways. Someone who knows eastern europe might be able to get some ammo direct from one of the old combloc factories still in business. Given current administration the risk there is enormous.

However... even if you had the money at this point to buy a 20 foot container of ammo do you have any idea how long it would take for them to even ship that thing with all the back orders in the marketplace? Lol. It’s a little late for wallhacks. The time for wallhacks was Feb of 2020....
(Allowing for the risk of import bans...)
now you're making me wonder how high prices have to rise
before the ChiComs divert ammo production to the US export market.

The Soviets thought the capitalists were gonna sell 'em the rope
that they in turn would hang the capitalists with.

Are the ChiComs so hungry for low-hanging fruit
that they'll sell the capitalists the boolits that
the capitalists will eventually be shooting back at commies?

It's very difficult to figure out when morons will run out of cash. That's basically the first prong of this.
(Not that we're seeing megabucks ammo purchases by Daddy Warbucks yet, but)
the more that Granny Warren's ilk flap their gums about taxing assets,
the less inhibition people have against converting some of their nest egg
from mutual funds into PVC pipes full of ammo buried in the back yard.

Even though it's a very durable commodity,
I'm not saying that ammo is a smart place to put money.
I'm just saying that the more Donks try to squeeze people,
the more incentive they place on driving money to places they won't like.

BTW, you'll know that things are getting serious
when Harbor Freight starts selling "Pittsburgh's Best" ice augurs,
along with an optional 6' long "dirt augur" attachment.

The 2nd prong is likely going to be around for a long ass time because of increased overall demand.
Even discounting some NESer's recent reference to
"the people that have newly entered the sport",
as if shooting Antifa/BLM riot/loot/burners is like trap or skeet.

(Pro-tip: you don't lead them as much).

i do not think so. industry will do what industry does - bend over and start selling product overseas, where market still exists. business does not care to fight with politics.
establishment is set toward de-militarization of the population on both sides now as they do not want any repercussions from the population they going to continue to abuse. the only way to revert that is to remove whole swamp from congress, on dems and gop sides both, and it is never going to happen now. they are too scared and too comfortable where they are. and by the time people in here will realize that their beloved government is their actual primary enemy - exactly by the letter of what founding fathers wrote back then - it will be too late to do anything. same story as ever.

if one rat Senator 'dies' in office, there's a firewall. The GOPes couldn't even get Georgia done on the runoffs running against a dem serial domestic abuser....unreal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom