• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo sales recording buyers name and info

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
A friend of mine who used to work at the Harvard Gun Shop in Central Square in the 70's and I were discussing shoplifting in Boston, not being a crime and I used the example of if you have an LTC and walk into a gun store and steal a box of ammo would it be a crime in Boston as you are legally able to possess ammo and in Boston shoplifting is no longer a prosecutable offense

He said it would be because EVERY gun store or ammo store has to RECORD the name and license number of anyone buying ammo in Massachusetts. I told him I have never had my info recorded when buying ammo just have to show LTC. He says that the stores are breaking the law.

My question is, is that true (can't believe it is as at least one store would follow the law)

AND was it the law back in the 70's that shops had to record your info when you bought ammo and report it to the feds?

A friend of mine who used to work at the Harvard Gun Shop in Central Square in the 70's and I were discussing shoplifting in Boston, not being a crime and I used the example of if you have an LTC and walk into a gun store and steal a box of ammo would it be a crime in Boston as you are legally able to possess ammo and in Boston shoplifting is no longer a prosecutable offense

He said it would be because EVERY gun store or ammo store has to RECORD the name and license number of anyone buying ammo in Massachusetts. I told him I have never had my info recorded when buying ammo just have to show LTC. He says that the stores are breaking the law.

My question is, is that true (can't believe it is as at least one store would follow the law)

AND was it the law back in the 70's that shops had to record your info when you bought ammo and report it to the feds?

Back before the laws changed in the 80s? the Feds used to have dealers recording ammo sales at one point.

Don't know if MA ever required it.

Currently there is no requirement in MA for dealers to do so, state or federal.

-Mike

I've had a LTC starting in 1981 and no gun shop has ever recorded an ammunition purchase that I can recall. Asking to see the LTC? Yes but no writing down of my name.

I do recall a time where when one was buying .44 mag in a box of 50 you needed a LTC but a box of 20 could be purchased on a FID card.

Like Mike, I never (from 1976 on) remember any MA requirement.

Back in the 1970s thru some part of the 1980s, BATFE required a log of ammo sales with name, etc. I remember filling it out while buying ammo at Spags back then.

Like Mike, I never (from 1976 on) remember any MA requirement.

Back in the 1970s thru some part of the 1980s, BATFE required a log of ammo sales with name, etc. I remember filling it out while buying ammo at Spags back then.

This^

I also remember filling out the ammo sales log book, wasn't sure if it was a state or federal requirement back then, but the practice was ended sometime in the early to mid 80's.

The 1968 Federal ammo log was a joke, never solved a single crime and the recordkeeping was overwhelming. In 1982 it was amended to exempt 22 rimfire from the rule, the centerfire recordkeeping law hung around until FOPA 1986.

Back before the '90s, it was common for ammo to be stocked on open shelves at the general store or hardware store (at least in rural areas). Not just shotshells, but pretty much everything, including pistol ammo.

Last edited:
There were a few dealers who would record your LTC # with the claim that they were doing it at the request of the local police or some such nonsense, never purchased any more ammo from them and I do not let people scan my license or my DL for that matter. When they continue to insist I either leave without buying, or ask them to guarantee in writing that my information cannot be compromised or hacked.

Your friend needs to stop talking about laws that existed 40 years ago like they are the law now.

I've run into many an old timer at the clubs over the years that quote 40 and even 50 year old fire arms law while giving folks shit. They get the eye roll and can talk to my backside as I walk away as was the case when an older gentlemen told me that he had an fid card......and all he needed was a mass "permit to purchase" to own a handgun as long as he didn't carry it (yeah that permit went the way of the dodo a long time ago) Sometime it's not even worth the time or effort to try and educate cuz he wasn't listening.

Another old timer got the stank eye from me when I was zeroing my tc impact with a new scope for muzzle loader season. The conversation started out pleasant.....hey....whatcha got there kind of thing. When I told him it was my new deer gun for muzzle loader season he went on and on about how break action muzzle loaders are illegal in mass and I'm gonna get arrested. ++++sigh++++

Last edited:
i do remember the ammo logs years ago but never knew if it was a fed or state thing. guess i know now..federal thing.

i seem to remember also at the time you couldn't sell pistol caliber ammo to someone under 21. 18 up to 21 rifle ammo only. this caused headaches for someone under 21 who had a rifle chambered in a cross over caliber, .44 mag, .357 etc. a hugely popular rifle then was the ruger .44 mag carbine. unless the customer was known to the shop they had to present proof of ownership of such a rifle by presenting those little tissue paper copies you got from the state form book or bring in the rifle to prove ownership and secure ammo. i'm sure different shops did different things, thats went went on in the 2 or 3 i was a regular in.

I got some ammo at Dick's back in 2014. They recorded my license number. I never went there again. My most recent ammo purchase earlier this month I was carded but nothing was recorded.

The 1968 Federal ammo log was a joke, never solved a single crime and the recordkeeping was overwhelming. In 1982 it was amended to exempt 22 rimfire from the rule, the centerfire recordkeeping law hung around until FOPA 1986.

Back before the '90s, it was common for ammo to be stocked on open shelves at the general store or hardware store (at least in rural areas). Not just shotshells, but pretty much everything, including pistol ammo.

it still is in many places, including even in MA (Cabela's, BassPro).

Hey, I'm just happy they don't make us buy ammo that has our SSN stamped on it...

I remember having my info recorded in the early 80's as a jr shooter bit small bore and shot gun , I'd ride the bus down town go to Jerry's army navy and ride home again on the bus some times shock with out a bag can you imagine the meltdown today over that . CCI match .22 and Winchester trap shells

store asks for a phone number you say no simple they can ask no further one of them great consumer laws here , just like no need to register for warranty

Back
Top Bottom