Ammo review and NES benefits

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Well folks it appears that the ammo shortage /high price may finally be coming to an end for some of the ammo. Well at least my favorite the 7.62x54R. I recently purchased a case , 800 rounds, of Czech surplus ammo produced in the 1980's. The Czech's made this ammo for the other communist bloc countries and is listed as having a prototype powder. I just had to try it. I , unlike some folks, feel the Czech silver tip is by far one of the most accurate ammo out there . One issue many folks have however is the lacquer coating can cause serious bolt sticking problems for some rifles.

Back to the new ammo I just purchased. It is corrosive, however it is copper washed steel cased so for folks who had issues with the silver tip this may be the answer. My test rifles were a M39 Finnish, a M91 1917 Russian and a Finnish target rifle. I was shooting from a bench rest at 100 yards. The M39 was the first test rifle. The conditions were sunny, 80 degrees , no wind and about 70% humidity. The M39 printed low however produced 2 inch groups. Not bad. The M91 really impressed me with 1.5 inch groups with one flyer....not the ammo or the rifle but me[wink]. The Finnish target rifle was .5 inch groups with two rounds cutting over each other....[shocked]I was very impressed. In the fact I actually shot that well[smile]. The ammo functioned flawlessly and I had no hang fires or duds. I was so impressed I went back and bought another case[smile]

On another note for folks who have yet to become NES members, "Green member". This very ammo was available for members in what we call a group buy. One of the many benefits of being a green member. I for one enjoy the other social groups ....my favorite...you guessed it Milsurp collectors. Another benefit is the Karma that members offer. It is a free gift to other members. Folks sign up for the particular item , i.e. slings, parts, books, clothing related to shooting like hats etc. flashlights and the list goes on. A winner is picked and its like our own lottery. Much better odds however. So if your not a member yet, sign up. It costs less than a weeks worth of coffee. For some of us two days worth.[wink]

In closing, keep em in the ten ring, get out to the range , and be safe. 50 BMG

Last edited:
Good post Fred. Were you there today? What's a case of that ammo go for. I have a Mosin sitting in the safe that I should shoot more often. Oh heck, you said corrosive didn't you? That means I'd have to really clean the gun when I was finished... LOL[smile]

Never mind!!!! [wink]

Good post Fred. Were you there today? What's a case of that ammo go for. I have a Mosin sitting in the safe that I should shoot more often. Oh heck, you said corrosive didn't you? That means I'd have to really clean the gun when I was finished... LOL[smile]

Never mind!!!! [wink]

Actually if you talk to Fred real nice, he might give you a few tips on cleaning guns that use corrosive ammo. I've watched him do it and it really is no big deal.

Actually if you talk to Fred real nice, he might give you a few tips on cleaning guns that use corrosive ammo. I've watched him do it and it really is no big deal.

Shhhhh Len, this has been my standard approach to get Fred to clean my guns for years now. Don't rattle my cage Dude!!!![wink]

ammo

Guys, its $160.00 for 800 rounds....well worth it...Dont worry Bill I will clean your Mosin if you come to the range. if you guys want a box to try first let me know. i would be glad to give you some. its great stuff. i think you will be really happy with it[smile]

Last edited:
can't wait to get mine from the buy, thanks for the review!

it sounds like this stuff is worlds better than the crap i've been shooting out of my mosin. it's good for making fireballs but i'd have better luck setting the target on fire than i would putting holes in it with the ammo i currently shoot.

I've gone through half a case of this ammo and it's very good accuracy wise. I know where to get another one and I think that one of the two I have at the house is also this stuff. You Mosin guys need to grab some of this stuff!

Joe R.

Folks if you did not get in the group buy you really are going to regret it. The supplier has some in stock but its getting low.

Also for you Mosin folks I saw an add for Remington M91 Mosins!!!!! I called and they were all gone[crying]

Guys, its $160.00 for 800 rounds....well worth it...Dont worry Bill I will clean your Mosin if you come to the range. if you guys want a box to try first let me know. i would be glad to give you some. its great stuff. i think you will be really happy with it[smile]

Thanks Fred. I'm just used to cleaning those little snub nosed barrels I like to play with. Hell, my arms aren't even long enough to pull the cleaning rod all the way through my Mosin in one swipe. I appreciate that you'll help me.[wink]

And I can't wait to try out the ammo.

Back
Top Bottom