Ammo issue or gun issue question

I bought a Glock 29 a couple years back. It was examined, cleaned and put away. Gun looked great in my opinion. It has been in my safe till tonight. I did change stock springs to a 4lb Striker, 6lb Trigger, Reduced Power Safety Plunger Spring.
First 5 rounds felt great. Then I got light primer strikes on 1 to 3 rounds per 10 fired. The primer strikes were dead center. Sorry I didn't take a picture, but they were deep enough to fire. On the last 10 rounds my gun was firing then the slide would stay open with every light primer strike.

My question is- Does this sound like an ammo or gun issue? Ammo in question is Remmington UMC 10mm green box.

Thanks Tom

Glocks tend to run with pretty much any ammo, which, combined with the modifications you describe, would lead me to believe that this is a gun issue. Try changing the springs back to stock and see if that solves your issue.

I just tucked the SSL spring under small trigger housing pin. I'll test fire it tomorrow. Not sure if it was seated correctly before tonight or if it happened during firing.

If that doesn't fix it, return the gun to 100% stock and see if it runs right.

You violated new gun rule number 6. Don't modify it until you have confirmed that it runs right while stock.

Don

If that doesn't fix it, return the gun to 100% stock and see if it runs right.

You violated new gun rule number 6. Don't modify it until you have confirmed that it runs right while stock.

Don

I bought 2 spring kits. One for my G23 and one for my G29. I just examined my G23 and the SSL spring is also seated wrong. I had to fix that gun also. Not sure if I was drinking the night I did the spring change

Don't **** with the striker springs on a Glock. period, end, full stop. Most of the faggotry i see with glocks is based around guns with weak striker springs.

Don't **** with the striker springs on a Glock. period, end, full stop. Most of the faggotry i see with glocks is based around guns with weak striker springs.

I disagree. In certain cases.

My reloads for Glocks use Federal primers. Which are softer and easier to set off than other primers. I also keep the striker channel in my competition guns scrupulously clean. With those two in place, I can run a 3.5 lb striker spring (stock is 5.5) with absolutely 100% reliability.

With that said, I've been tuning and shooting Glocks for 17 years and if anything I do causes a problem, I go back to stock and start changing things out one at a time.

Don

p.s. All of my glocks that may see defensive use are 100% Glock with the exception of a minor fluff and buff of the parts that rub against each other.

My reloads for Glocks use Federal primers. Which are softer and easier to set off than other primers. I also keep the striker channel in my competition guns scrupulously clean.

But R. Lee Ermey himself told me that you never have to clean a Glock ???

Gunny_1.jpg

If things are left stock, he's pretty much right. What people do when they modify a glock is remove the generous margins of error built into the gun for the sake of a small performance gain. I ran a stock weight striker spring in my old Gen 3 gun. It had over 10,000 rounds through it without a cleaning. During a NRA basic pistol class it started giving light primer strikes. I took it apart in about 30 seconds and the striker channel was filthy. I cleaned it out with a Q Tip I keep in a ziploc bag in my range bag and put it back together and finished the class.

In my classes I only use stock guns with factory ammo.

Don

My reloads for Glocks use Federal primers. Which are softer and easier to set off than other primers. I also keep the striker channel in my competition guns scrupulously clean. With those two in place, I can run a 3.5 lb striker spring (stock is 5.5) with absolutely 100% reliability.

With that said, I've been tuning and shooting Glocks for 17 years and if anything I do causes a problem, I go back to stock and start changing things out one at a time.

Don

p.s. All of my glocks that may see defensive use are 100% Glock with the exception of a minor fluff and buff of the parts that rub against each other.

It's still dumb, and largely unecessary. I don't like how it radically changes how the gun operates. Every time i see a glock **** up on the line, a pussy grade striker spring is in the mix somewhere. I feel the same way about recoil springs, too, although on a comprtition gun anything goes I guess... but even then, I hate guns going tits up for any reason. I'd rather just not deal with the BS.

I ran a stock weight striker spring in my old Gen 3 gun. It had over 10,000 rounds through it without a cleaning.

Don

Without any cleaning or without a detailed cleaning?

No cleaning whatsoever. I wanted to see how long it could go and what would stop it. All I did was oil it. The slide had literally not been off the frame in 10,000 rounds.
It turned out that a dirty striker channel was its undoing. But then again, it had a reduced weight striker. God only knows how long it could have gone if it had a full strength 5 1/2# striker spring in it.

Don

Back
Top Bottom