• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo industry: Won't see prices return to normal until 2023

It is unclear if this is a general policy or only applies to the discount card, especially considering the list of allowed ammo types under memberships at the top. It could simply be a pricing strategy to make sure the discount isn't.
All I know is last time I was there I brought a couple 50 round boxes of plain ol' red box american eagle 9mm factory ammo and they said I can't use it and I had to buy theirs. First and last time I was there. Pretty nice range but the in-house ammo only thing would irk a lot of folks.

All I know is last time I was there I brought a couple 50 round boxes of plain ol' red box american eagle 9mm factory ammo and they said I can't use it and I had to buy theirs. First and last time I was there. Pretty nice range but the in-house ammo only thing would irk a lot of folks.
I'd be willing to guess they would spin some yarn about safety rather than be honest and just say "We are in business for our economic welfare, not yours, and this is a way to increase our profits".

Last edited:
I have not shot near the volumes that i shot in years past. Actually moved away from guns and gotten into archery and im having fun. I spent a $hit ton of money building a substantial stash of ammo and more importantly reloading components. Not going to piss it all away from another really bad political induced gun panic atmosphere. The only money im pissing away right now is on lost arrows because i suck.

A year ago, I made the bold prediction that 9mm would be at <20 cents again by Jan 2022. Here we are a year later and it's not even close! Aaahhh! This sucks!

Not really.

Must've been during an Obamascare rebound period? Right up until the letoff of Rona lockdown shithouse, 9mm was about $185 a case for "the good shit". that's like 19CPR. Or about 16CPR for caca like blazer brass and magtech. Then again it did take many years of glut to make those prices even possible.

I think with inflation and other BS going on the current prices are going to stick around for awhile... there are millions of new gun owners who are just paying the price.
They pay the price now because they have money. What happens when they don't have money? They won't pay that price... or maybe they'll think the end is nigh and request a credit limit raise and max it out on ammo.

Hard to tell with these people who are paying $1000 for any Ruger revolver that isn't the LCR or Wrangler.

I'm not familiar with any pay ranges that don't let you bring your own ammo when shooting your own guns. I've never heard of this.

Even when S&W was open they had a more involved check in procedure and even there I shot with my own ammo.

ETA: I am familiar with some ranges in other states that have rules that make the range useless though, like the stuff you describe about holsters and 1 shot per second... [laugh]
The only pay range that I know of that has any kind of restriction on ammo is Midstate in Coventry, RI and it's a blanket ban on reloaded ammo.

Hahaha and this is why you see public ranges making you buy and shoot 'their ammo' at their range. Back after the post-sandy hook retardation when people were scrambling to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds of 22LR and there was none left, some ranges were selling 22LR in little zip lock baggies of 50 at a time.
Almost like they're selling crack.

"First bag is free, but after that you gotta pay."

I have not shot near the volumes that i shot in years past. Actually moved away from guns and gotten into archery and im having fun. I spent a $hit ton of money building a substantial stash of ammo and more importantly reloading components. Not going to piss it all away from another really bad political induced gun panic atmosphere. The only money im pissing away right now is on lost arrows because i suck.
Nor I, kind of hard to when I can't get primers for less than triple what they once cost and am limited to one brick at a time. I was never a 9mm guy, but given how ammo companies only make 9mm and .223 these days in enough quantities to make the price somewhat decent and available I got a Taurus 92 and like it, just need some 124gr as the 115 stuff shoots a bit low.

I have gotten back into .22 as a result, shooting up brands that I accumulated during the Obama years that I've found I no longer want, are hard to find, or just don't shoot as well as others do.

Air guns is the big one I'm trying to get into, there's a .22 pellet rifle made by Webley that I really want to get my hands on, but it hasn't gotten any distribution to the US yet. If anyone knows of an air rifle with a rotary magazine that can hold several pellets and almost be a bolt action rifle, lemme know, I'm interested.

You mean 2020. Those prices died in/around Mar of 2020. By the summer whatever was
left was obliterated and full rape mode engaged.

Distributor: "Yeah we have 9mm. For $499.00 a case. "

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXdNcKF_n4U

Not even joking, I saw it for $899.99/case at the height of full rape pricing. I seriously considered going into the ammo business at that point. 450% markup really appealed to my wallet.

and the market responds:

Ammunition maker to invest $60M in Georgia plant, hiring 600​

ELLABELL, Ga. (AP) — An Italian-owned company will invest $60 million in coastal Georgia to build a plant to make and distribute ammunition, with plans to hire 600 people.

Norma Precision will build its facility near the site of the new Hyundai electric vehicle plant in Bryan County, just northwest of the Georgia coastal city of Savannah.

In July, Italian gun maker Beretta bought Norma Precision and other ammunition makers from RUAG International, a company owned by the Swiss government, for an undisclosed price. Norma Precision had already announced that it was moving its headquarters to Georgia, setting up a factory in the Savannah suburb of Garden City.

Norma said 88 current employees in Georgia would be offered transfers. Employees will make an average of $57,000 a year, said company spokesperson Rose de Vries.

Last year, Norma Precision said it imported more than 400 containers of ammunition from factories in Europe, while also delivering more than 30 million cartridges of ammunition made in the U.S. De Vries said Norma would also export ammunition from the Georgia plant......snip

and the market responds:

Ammunition maker to invest $60M in Georgia plant, hiring 600​

ELLABELL, Ga. (AP) — An Italian-owned company will invest $60 million in coastal Georgia to build a plant to make and distribute ammunition, with plans to hire 600 people.

Norma Precision will build its facility near the site of the new Hyundai electric vehicle plant in Bryan County, just northwest of the Georgia coastal city of Savannah.

In July, Italian gun maker Beretta bought Norma Precision and other ammunition makers from RUAG International, a company owned by the Swiss government, for an undisclosed price. Norma Precision had already announced that it was moving its headquarters to Georgia, setting up a factory in the Savannah suburb of Garden City.

Norma said 88 current employees in Georgia would be offered transfers. Employees will make an average of $57,000 a year, said company spokesperson Rose de Vries.

Last year, Norma Precision said it imported more than 400 containers of ammunition from factories in Europe, while also delivering more than 30 million cartridges of ammunition made in the U.S. De Vries said Norma would also export ammunition from the Georgia plant......snip

Interesting, and makes a couple of things make more sense.

I live in Bryan County, and the route to my local range takes me past the Hyundai plant they're building. There's a LOT of development/building going on in that area, and it's a great setup for commercial businesses because it's only a mile or so from good access to I95.

GSSF was at my range this past weekend, and Norma Ammunition contributed to our prize table. I came home with four boxes of their 9mm hollowpoints. I was wondering what their tie in was - now I know.

Interesting, and makes a couple of things make more sense.

I live in Bryan County, and the route to my local range takes me past the Hyundai plant they're building. There's a LOT of development/building going on in that area, and it's a great setup for commercial businesses because it's only a mile or so from good access to I95.

GSSF was at my range this past weekend, and Norma Ammunition contributed to our prize table. I came home with four boxes of their 9mm hollowpoints. I was wondering what their tie in was - now I know.
I have to think that a lot of foreign ammo companies will look to expand operations in the US because then they won't be affected by import laws if ammo is produced here and you don't want to be left out of the largest market in the world for ammo. Fiocchi, S&B, PPU, PMC, and Magtech would be wise to follow in Norma's footsteps.

I have to think that a lot of foreign ammo companies will look to expand operations in the US because then they won't be affected by import laws if ammo is produced here and you don't want to be left out of the largest market in the world for ammo. Fiocchi, S&B, PPU, PMC, and Magtech would be wise to follow in Norma's footsteps.
It's more logistics than "ammo import laws. " Saves them and customers a fortune on shipping.

Back
Top Bottom