• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo in the safe?

FrugalFannie

NES Member
So my husband have been discussing storage issues for when we get our licenses. Usually you hear keep the gun and ammo seperate unless it's a home defense gun. Here's the dilemma. If we have only one safe and are confident in it's ability to keep anyone (meaning our son) but the most determined people (criminals) off our guns, wouldn't it make sense to store our ammo in it too? We want to keep everything out of the kids hands - our son, his friends etc - when we aren't looking. What are we missing? [thinking]

So my husband have been discussing storage issues for when we get our licenses. Usually you hear keep the gun and ammo seperate unless it's a home defense gun. Here's the dilemma. If we have only one safe and are confident in it's ability to keep anyone (meaning our son) but the most determined people (criminals) off our guns, wouldn't it make sense to store our ammo in it too? We want to keep everything out of the kids hands - our son, his friends etc - when we aren't looking. What are we missing? [thinking]

I keep my ammo locked in a spare room closet. It's not the most secure location on earth but without a key someone would definitely need some time and make some noise to break in.

Of course, I do keep a few rounds in my bedroom closet in case the zombies attack and I need to shoot my way out:

img0593qm3.jpg

Why lock up Ammo?

COVERT COOLER!
Here is a Great way to Hide & store your Ammo. Padlock it and keep it dry!

6154-720_200.jpg

Last edited:
AMMO like anything else can be a Liability if it falls into the wrong hands.

I keep my in a safe by itself for lots of reasons security, privacy, fire safety, etc.

Plus I have a 6 year old Autistic child in the home and he does not understand things like other kids do and cannot be taught the same as other kids.

I also am a very private person and dont want anyone that I do not authorise that gains access to the location where I store such things to know what I own and or how much I own of something.

If I own 1K rounds or 250K rounds IMHO its no ones business but mine.

Its no ones business but mine that I own 50 rifles or 45 handguns.

OOPS I shouldn't have said that(Hagrid).

Why lock up Ammo?

Teach your kids how to shoot and reload and it takes away temptation if they know they can shoot anytime safely.

You dont lock the Liquor cabinet (or do you?)

You dont lock the medicine cabinets.

You dont lock the knives in the kitchen or the axe s back at the woodpile.

Teach the kids how to use the chainsaw and they can buck firewood.

Teach them how to swim and dont lock up the ocean

Last edited:
Why lock up Ammo?

Teach your kids how to shoot and reload and it takes away temtation if they know they can shoot anytime safely.

You dont lock the Liqure cabinet (or do you?)
You dont lock the medicine cabinets.
You dont lock the knives in the kitchen or the axe s back at the woodpile.
Teach the kids how to use the chainsaw and they can buck firewood.
Teach them how to swim and dont lock up the ocean

Massachusetts Fire Code requires ammo to be locked up. Doesn't have to be a safe, a locked filing cabinet will do.

Mine's in a double-padlocked sturdy metal tool box, and it's pretty heavy due to its size and being packed full. (I have to unlock it and remove some contents just to move to another room.) Hopefully that's Mass Compliant?

Back
Top Bottom