Ammo in ammo cans

I'm beginning to accumulate quite a bit of ammo and need to make storage a little more space effective. Is it ok to store ammo loose in ammo cans if it will bi in the cans for long periods of time? I was thinking about putting 100 rounds in a ziploc bag so I just need to grab a few bags for each range trip. Anyone else store their ammo similarly? Should I throw one of those dry all packets in each can also or will it be sufficient with the ziploc bags in the sealed ammo can?

The drying packets are good, just make sure the rubber seal is still good on the can. If the seal leaks the dryers are going to be effective for a much shorter time.

Yes. I asked that question here too when I first joined. Ammo cans were made for storing ammo. I have most of ammo loose inside ammo cans, with no silica packets. I store it upstairs in my safe though, where there is a dehumidifier. If it's stored in your basement or something, you might want something in there.

*ammo cans with rubber seal intact would render your dehumidifier useless....
same thing with storing them in a humid basement, it wouldn't matter... the silica packs are for the humidity in the air that's trapped in the ammo can.

I have some in the factory boxes in cans, some ammo loose in cans (get more in that way). Dessicant packs go in the long term storage cans.

A .50 can will hold 840 rounds on strippers in bandoleers or 1200 loose pack, 1000 rounds of 7.62X39 loose, eight 100 round value packs of .45acp and (IIRC - 18 100 round WWB 9mm 100 round value packs.

What goes in dry, stays dry.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I get 1325 rounds 45acp loose in my 50cal cans. Works just fine for me. I store them in a closet in my living area. No humid basements or outdoor temps so I cant comment about those conditions.

*ammo cans with rubber seal intact would render your dehumidifier useless....
same thing with storing them in a humid basement, it wouldn't matter... the silica packs are for the humidity in the air that's trapped in the ammo can.

How many silica packs / and what size do think would be sufficient in a sealed 50 Cal ammo can?

What about the part in the law that it has to be stored in "original" containers? I thought about putting my ammo in ammo cans, but thoought the law forbade it unless it was in its box and then in an ammo can?

How many silica packs / and what size do think would be sufficient in a sealed 50 Cal ammo can?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

How many silica packs / and what size do think would be sufficient in a sealed 50 Cal ammo can?

I was thinking the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry too much. Throw a couple in, if you want, and call it a day. Most people don't use any silica for ammo and have no issues. I don't use silica for my ammo but I do use damp rid for my gun safe.

sent it....from the Evo

For the serious ammo collector:

31Ieef-zYtL._SY450_.jpg

Ya know, I vacuum sealed a bunch of ammo a while ago. (IIRC about this time four years ago. [laugh])
Seems to be a good way to store ammo especially if you're storing it in PVC tubes underground. [wink]

You can make nice long bags from the bulk rolls and toss a few dessicant packs in between the boxes. Everything seals up nice and tight and you can leave extra bag at the end if you need something to grab onto for retrieval if you're locating your storage tubes vertically.

A couple of things I've noticed:
The sealing process can distort the boxes
The excess bag material takes up additional space
Because of the above reasons, it doesn't stack well
Loose pointy rounds can wear holes in the bag material

YMMV [smile]

What about the part in the law that it has to be stored in "original" containers? I thought about putting my ammo in ammo cans, but thoought the law forbade it unless it was in its box and then in an ammo can?

Ahem, all my ammo is reloaded and therefore has no "original box" so it goes directly into an ammo can.... That's my response and I am sticking to it. If all the head stamps match the I must sort it like that before reloading....honest.

Back
Top Bottom