Ammo for shotgun sports?

OK, stupid question time. A lot of places that I've seen require non-lead ammo for trap/skeet on their range so I figure "better safe than sorry" I'll just buy all steel. Problem is that I'm not finding much of anything close to me in the Malden area. Just checked Four Seasons, Collectors, and even Dick's and all I'm seeing is very limited selection of lead. Of course, I may just be blind. Can anyone point me in the right direction to somewhere closer than the suggestion I've gotten to "try Kittery"?

Also, while I'm at it, a good addition to the "where to shoot" club list thread would be to indicate those clubs (like Mass Rifle Association in Woburn) that provide and require that you use their ammo or those clubs that can provide ammo.

Cabela's has a bunch steel shotgun ammo under the Kent brand. Good price too. I've seen a bit at the Dedham Dick's too, but that was last year.

Are you just shooting at clays used in Trap/Skeet/5 Stand and Skeet or shooting at steal plates used in 3 gun style matches?

Ranges that use LEAD do NOT want steel shot on their range! Every so many years ranges have their fields mined for the lead and sell it. There are not that many ranges that use steel, and those that do usually sell shells there so they know you are using steel shot.

We use steel on the trap and skeet ranges at Southborough Rod & Gun. We sell Winchester #7 steel shot for use on both, and on the sporting clays course, though you can use lead there as well. You're welcome to bring your own shot, provided it's steel if you're shooting trap or skeet.

Holliston Firearms typically stocks several flats of steel shot, but Mark is on vacation right now until the middle of July. I've also found it at Dick's in Framingham, but only in the 4 box, 100-round packs and never in bulk. I have also bought the Cabela's Herter's brand steel target loads and they work reasonably well. Not sure if they have them in stock at the store, but I do believe they will order them in for you if you ask the right person.

I typically get my steel shot ammo from Holliston Firearms, but last time Cabela's had the Herter's on sale for $65/case I ordered 5 flats.

Walmart often has it too, but it's catch as catch can.

Most places that require steel often sell it.

It's cheaper at your LGS or Walmart, but the ammo you buy at the Club helps the Club

True that. Looks like I may be buying some at Southborough this Sunday if all the other tasks around the house are finished tomorrow....

Ranges that use LEAD do NOT want steel shot on their range! Every so many years ranges have their fields mined for the lead and sell it. There are not that many ranges that use steel, and those that do usually sell shells there so they know you are using steel shot.

Unless they have some sort of collection screen if they are reclaiming the shot when it's sorted from the dirt the person reclaiming the shot will run it under a magnet. I watched the company reclaim the lead from our trap range and it was impressive how "clean" the shot came out the other end of the machine....
One hint to clubs...try like hell to reclaim your lead when scrap prices are high.

Back
Top Bottom