Ammo for sale, bring your organs

ridleyman

NES Member
I was just perusing the Firearm Accessories page, and I was impressed with the cajones that some folks have. Call it the free market, or Econ 101, or supply and demand, but WTF?! Some dude is charging $40 for a box of .45 hardball, the same stuff I bought for $15.99 not that long ago. It makes me want to play the song by the Dead Kennedys-"Let's Lynch the Landlord".

I'm all for making a profit, and most NESers are making a few bucks due to their good timing and/or good luck, and I applaud that, but some people are are charging what some folks have called "rape prices". I shouldn't get too hung up on it, I know, and I suppose they might have difficulty selling, but who thinks that the first time there's a crisis-let me screw my fellow gunnies for a few bucks-which means not much more long term than dishonor.

Yeah, I expect the flamers.

free market economy with no government interference .... I thought you were all for that sort of thing.

The price of any product is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

If the price is too high it won't sell, if the price is correct it will sell.

Micro economics ring a bell? Supply and demand curves?

the purpose of a tax is to artificially shift the price curve to lower demand for a product, etc.

Econ101

Forgot who made this argument, but if you were selling your house right now in this super hot seller's market, would you sell it for what you paid 20-30 years ago? Would you leave $100-200k on the table?
If it costs me $100 bucks to replace that box of 45 down the road, you bet I'm selling for at least that much.

High prices cure high prices. Anyone selling should be selling at replacement cost unless they love their fellow shooters enough to subsidize the buyers habit/hobby.

High prices cure high prices. Anyone selling should be selling at replacement cost unless they love their fellow shooters enough to subsidize the buyers habit/hobby.
What if you are in business to make money? Can't keep the doors open without making a profit. Shop around it is time consuming but it pays off.

I'm all for making a profit,
You have a box of 45, two people are asking to buy it. If one is paying more than the other, who gets the box?

Let's not kid ourselves. We're not a charity. We're not Mother Teresa. If someone voluntarily exchanges money in exchange for goods/services, both parties win. The seller gets what he wants and the buyer gets what he wants.

What if you are in business to make money? Can't keep the doors open without making a profit. Shop around it is time consuming but it pays off.

Same as a gas station. They base sell price on replacement cost. A business needs cash flow and positive margin. Very rarely (like never or desperate for cash) makes sense to sell below replacement cost.

I was just perusing the Firearm Accessories page, and I was impressed with the cajones that some folks have. Call it the free market, or Econ 101, or supply and demand, but WTF?! Some dude is charging $40 for a box of .45 hardball, the same stuff I bought for $15.99 not that long ago. It makes me want to play the song by the Dead Kennedys-"Let's Lynch the Landlord".
Just so everyone knows, I'll beat that dudes price. $39, pm me ;)

I'm all for making a profit, and most NESers are making a few bucks due to their good timing and/or good luck, and I applaud that, but some people are are charging what some folks have called "rape prices". I shouldn't get too hung up on it, I know, and I suppose they might have difficulty selling, but who thinks that the first time there's a crisis-let me screw my fellow gunnies for a few bucks-which means not much more long term than dishonor.

Yeah, I expect the flamers.
In a few weeks, those prices will seem cheap. Like the song says, "You ain't seen nothing yet."

free market economy with no government interference .... I thought you were all for that sort of thing.

The price of any product is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

If the price is too high it won't sell, if the price is correct it will sell.

Micro economics ring a bell? Supply and demand curves?

the purpose of a tax is to artificially shift the price curve to lower demand for a product, etc.

Econ101

Taxes are also supposed to help offset negative externalities. That’s why fuel is taxed as much as it is. Drive less, but also help fund the roads as well as the maintenance of them that the fuel allows people to drive cars on and degrade them.

Ammo seems to have a very low elasticity. People keep buying no matter the price.

None of this will matter once Harris-Biden decides lead is now unsafe as a public commodity and only copper bullet rounds (but none of that steel core military style assault armor piercing cop killer stuff) will be *allowed*. $1 for each CCI copper-22, anyone? lol.

Back in October. I think. Matt Bracken podcast. He holds up a 5.56 round and says, “ This is a buck.”
Not that it was overpriced but that was the price. Right then. If you wanted it that’s what it would cost you.
If you needed it then it would be priceless.
Your life or family’s lives. How much are they worth? Your possessions?
Your freedom?

PS the going rate for .45ACP, assuming you can find it, is a dollar per round.

I have not seen it anywhere for sale at retail, just at flea markets down here, I got 100 rounds for $40 which was a steal IMHO, the next week it was $45 for 50 rounds

Price gouging ensures availability.
You decide that the cpr is too high, and won’t buy at those rates.

Someone with no ammo or very little may decide they’re willing to pay significantly more just to have something to carry, or to learn to shoot with their first gun.

I support price gouging; it means it cuts down on hoarding and cuts down on OOS. Someone with 10k rounds probably won’t pay 1.50cpr for 9mm, someone with 0 rounds definitely will.

Back
Top Bottom