• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo flying off shelves as gun owners fear possible new laws

Just wait until people start getting their tax rebates!

Shooter's Outpost got in a bunch of .223 and 9mm and didn't mark prices up much, 10-box limit. Their facebook states "Next week we should be getting much more ammo - and yes, .22's,.223,5.56 & 9mm are included "

On a side note, anyone else starting to feel like the current ammo situation will become the new normal? I wasn't shooting much during the last big ammo shortage, did it last this long?
I don't think the current lack of availability will last much longer. The hoarders are running out of cash; once income tax rebates are exhausted, ammo should actually start to stay in stock more than a day or two, even at WalMart.

The manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, the problem isn't supply, it's the people who feel pressured to accumulate more ammo and the ones cleaning out WalMart to sell on GunBroker and Armslist at 2x retail.

Shooter's Outpost got in a bunch of .223 and 9mm and didn't mark prices up much, 10-box limit. Their facebook states "Next week we should be getting much more ammo - and yes, .22's,.223,5.56 & 9mm are included "

I don't think the current lack of availability will last much longer. The hoarders are running out of cash; once income tax rebates are exhausted, ammo should actually start to stay in stock more than a day or two, even at WalMart.

The manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, the problem isn't supply, it's the people who feel pressured to accumulate more ammo and the ones cleaning out WalMart to sell on GunBroker and Armslist at 2x retail.

Huh?????
The problem IS supply.

The ammo manufacturers are making it as fast as they can and still cannot keep up with demand. Thats the very definition of a SUPPLY PROBLEM.

Doesn't matter who's buying and reselling, its all being consumed/bought up and the demand is still out there for more. Demand is not being satisfied/filled fast enough to suit anyones needs yet nor in any quantity to build any surplus in the supply chain to effectively lower price. That is a supply problem.

what did you see for 9mm pricing?

I'm sure we'd buy it for more than they are getting from DHS

A probable issue with bidding against the DHS is that the volume they will buy in a single contract reduces the costs and uncertainties the manufactures would otherwise have associated with numerous smaller commercial contracts. The DHS is also likely hiding significant internal costs associated with distribution and other logistics that in the commercial market would need to be passed on the the consumer. The DHS just passes those on to the tax payer as costs not even seemingly associated with ammunition. I expect it is hard for the commercial market to compete with that.

Last edited:
I have my doubts about the DHS buying anything. Has anyone even SEEN IT? I didn't think so. Maybe it is time for Hank Phillipi Ryan to get to the bottom of this.

Unlike gold and silver, the central banks can't sell billions of paper future contracts to smash ammo prices. Nobody seems to want paper ammo contracts. Too bad for the .Gov

I can't understand why anyone would want paper metals either. They'll be the guys wondering why they can't get it some day. [thinking]

what did you see for 9mm pricing?
$16/box of 50 for Fiocchi. 10 box limit.

And with more state gun control laws happening every month, this could go on longer and get worse.
When states enact new strict statewide laws, does that reduce the demand for ammo within that state or from state residents on neighboring states?

Huh?????
The problem IS supply. The ammo manufacturers are making it as fast as they can and still cannot keep up with demand. Thats the very definition of a SUPPLY PROBLEM. Doesn't matter who's buying and reselling, its all being consumed/bought up and the demand is still out there for more. Demand is not being satisfied/filled fast enough to suit anyones needs yet nor in any quantity to build any surplus in the supply chain to effectively lower price. That is a supply problem.

True, but it's a temporary, artificial demand. It started with post-sandyhook panic buying, and is now driven primarily by perceived scarcity. Between the scalpers buying ammo to sell online and honest folk who see the ammo shelves nearly empty and buy the limit because of the self-fulfilling prophecy that it'll be gone tomorrow, today we have a high "demand" that doesn't reflect the actual long-term market for ammo.

Suppliers are wise to resist spending money on ramping up production; they perceive the tulip mania and hold steady.

Last edited:

When states enact new strict statewide laws, does that reduce the demand for ammo within that state or from state residents on neighboring states?

True, but it's a temporary, artificial demand. It started with post-sandyhook panic buying, and is now driven primarily by perceived scarcity. Between the scalpers buying ammo to sell online and honest folk who see the ammo shelves nearly empty and buy the limit because of the self-fulfilling prophecy that it'll be gone tomorrow, today we have a high "demand" that doesn't reflect the actual long-term market for ammo.

Suppliers are wise to resist spending money on ramping up production; they perceive the tulip mania and hold steady.
All manufacturers think it's a bubble, one that's enabled them to grow their business and profits. But the future is bleak, libertarians are doubling down, and we are adjusting towards a new normal. Everything's becoming a "new normal." There are prices that need to be payed for actions. Firearmaggedon is full speed ahead imo.

All manufacturers think it's a bubble, one that's enabled them to grow their business and profits. But the future is bleak, libertarians are doubling down, and we are adjusting towards a new normal. Everything's becoming a "new normal." There are prices that need to be payed for actions. Firearmaggedon is full speed ahead imo.

I tend to disagree with the post of the high prices being the "new norm". We all agree that the current panic buying is caused by a herd mentality of "get it now because we won't be able to get it later". There have been no ammo plant closings, no bills or laws banning ammo production, there have been no laws or bills introduced to ban/outlaw the manufacture or sales of specific calibers.

Ammo production will continue at a high rate and eventually all the panic buyers will: a) have all the ammo the need/want; b) run out of the 'extra" money they have to spend on stock up. The gov buys are issued on contracts and even the government can only buy and store so much ammo.

The people that buy now are future customers that will not be buying later. That will reduce the demand and the shelves will slowly return to being full. As the stores fill up, the ammo companies will still be producing so to keep product moving (and factories producing) the price will drop. That is simply supply and demand. I can't say how long it will take to get back to "normal" maybe a year... but eventually people will realize they are just panicing or they have all they need and things will return to normal. With all that said it doen't mean that everyone should live with a stash of only a few boxes.

If you have learned anything from this experience ist that you should hope for the best and be ready for the worst!

Its not artificial demand, and its absolutely NOT perceived scarcity. The continuously empty shelves everywhere, nationwide prove both of those statements wrong beyond any shadow of a doubt. The demand is there and the ammo is not.

Secondly, you cannot predict with even the slightest certainty that this is a temporary condition.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that ammo has continuously become more expensive and less available over the past sixteen years and has now reached a level of unavailability that has never been seen in this country in my lifetime and, that demand for ammo has never gone down to any level that has caused any price war or heated competition in the supply market. The few resellers who are making a little money gouging the less informed is of little impact on the big picture here.

I'll predict that ammo will not come down in price much if at all and will be difficult to obtain for the next year or two minimum. Whether that qualifies as "temporary" is subjective. Two years is a long time if/when you're out of ammo or can't replace what you'd like to shoot.

i haven't pulled a trigger since february. i was supposed to be out today but i've been down for the count since tuesday with one hell of a cold.

this whole situation sucks. i used to buy ammo when i'd find it, used to have quite a bit squirreled away, but kept being unable to replenish stock due to not having enough dollars. should have done it back then and taken the hit rather than waiting for... this.

I was at Riley's yesterday and they had a 2 box limit on 9mm & .223, everything else was buy all that you want. Unfortunately for me, they were out of 9mm....

I was at Riley's yesterday and they had a 2 box limit on 9mm & .223, everything else was buy all that you want. Unfortunately for me, they were out of 9mm....

Not last week it wasn't. Two box limit on EVERYTHING. A case of 7.62x54R counted as one of my "two boxes." So I only walked away with one box of 9mm for my friend who purchased his first gun (Ruger SR9c).

I think the worst part of working 3rd shift is that by the time I wake up, no-one has any ammo left in stock. I have gotten 0 in the last two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom