Ammo flying off shelves as gun owners fear possible new laws

Ammo flying off shelves as gun owners fear possible new laws | NJ.com

I like this comment below:

I am an avid owner of firearms and a SWAT operator. I too have have joined the masses in buying as much ammo as possible. Does this make me a gun nut? I can tell you that my department cannot find and/or purchase ammo right now to supply our officers. Yet DHS has placed an order of over 1 billion rounds- yet they are refusing to relinquish any of those rounds to state and local law enforcement. Something doesnt add up here. When departments nation wide cannot acquire ammunition to supply first responders- theres a major issue at hand.

This was a good week for me finding ammo. Found 100 round boxes of 9, 40 and 38 sp target ammo at various Walmarts. Also almost scored some Federal 22 lr but they only had a few boxes and several people were in front of me.

On a side note, anyone else starting to feel like the current ammo situation will become the new normal? I wasn't shooting much during the last big ammo shortage, did it last this long?

That's what I was going to say! Unless your talking an oddball caliber, when is the last time you saw a shelf full?
When I opened my cabinets and looked at my cases of 5.56/308/9mm/45 and 22, the other cabinets have crates of 5.45, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54

- - - Updated - - -

I stocked when it was cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Where can I go to actually see ammo "flying off shelves"? Doesn't that mean there has to be ammo on the shelves first?
Same place you get to see pigs fly.

I have curtailed my shooting activities to preserve the ammo I can't get but bought a fair amount of when it was cheap. I shoot the stuff that's the same price as it always was....380 and 7.62x54r. Have another Mosin on the way because of all this.

Really wish some 9 would come through, though. I almost brought a couple boxes to the range when I realized how low I was. Left the 9 at home.

I've definitely learned my lesson. If the prices ever become reasonable again I will create a stockpile (a legal amount for the two licensed gun owners in my household to posses) and keep my target shooting stash separate.

The same WWB 9mm 100 that Walmart has for what, $24 is $70 at the new gun shop in Auburn. The shop owner asked me as I walked in if I had any ammo to sell him, before we even exchanged a hello. Serious money being made on ammo right now!

Just like in 1994 when people purchased ~ 12 years worth of guns in a couple of months prior to the AWB going into affect. Unintended consequences.

I'm willing to bet that from now on, ammo will continue to fly off the shelves (when the shelves are actually stocked that is) because lots of people are just going to stock up on as much as they can afford to, realizing that some day we might not be able to buy any at all. (tinfoil on that one, but hey you never know). I plan on getting my hands on as much .22lr as possible between now and when I'm dead. Some day it'll be worth it's weight in gold. [laugh]

My fear is the prices have reset to a higher level and evening this insanity calms down and ammo is more plentiful a brick of .22 will cost 28-32 instead of 18 and we'll keep paying it. What's the inventive to drop the price if we keep paying current prices?

My fear is the prices have reset to a higher level and evening this insanity calms down and ammo is more plentiful a brick of .22 will cost 28-32 instead of 18 and we'll keep paying it. What's the inventive to drop the price if we keep paying current prices?

Because someone will realize they can get a good chunk of the market by selling for 26-28 instead, and then someone we decide they can make more by undercutting them and selling for 24-26, and so on, until the price bottoms at levels that people just can't sell it for less and not decide they need to get out and go into some other business. That is IF it is a free market economy for ammo. If we get the .gov messing it up in various ways - e.g., denying increased mfg, increasing tax, causing demand "outside" of the free market, and ignoring price collusion in the ammunition industry - who can say what will happen?

I'd pay 28 bucks for a brick if the existed

Need more manufacturers to churn out products at a faster rate and charge a premium, say 22 bucks a box.

- - - Updated - - -

Need new companies to come onboard also.

Ammo gaining traction as the new currency.

Many of the people who are frantic panic buyers now, are the same ones who poo pooed the idea all along and would have laughed at you for making such a statement a few years ago.

I've told people for years to stock up because this "day" was coming. I stopped trying a long time ago. The willful ignorance was too much. Those who did listen back then are thankful and not the least bit affected by this insanity.

Oh and I'm sure someone will chime in with the "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day" saying. Doesn't bother me, I've got mine.[laugh] and got it cheap too![rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
The same WWB 9mm 100 that Walmart has for what, $24 is $70 at the new gun shop in Auburn. The shop owner asked me as I walked in if I had any ammo to sell him, before we even exchanged a hello. Serious money being made on ammo right now!

The one on route 20 by the gas station? I was in there last week, saw the $35 price tag for the 50 Round box of 9mm, laughed and walked out! Four Seasons has 100 round boxes of 9mm for $32, love that place!

Back
Top Bottom