• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo DeciBel test (22)

beautiful day to head to the range today. Finally some sun and warm temperatures.
I arrived around 330pm and to my surprise I was the only person there!
I set up most of the targets at 50 yards with a few at 25 and 75.
I downloaded the Decibel 10th App on my iPhone and started the testing. I am not familiar with how accurate the app is. if anyone has any legit equipment to test it (it is free on the App store) I would appreciate it.

First Test - Phone placed 8-10" from the firearm
Ruger 10-22

Federal AutoMatch 40g
30 shots (3 Fail to Eject). 27 all on Target.
DB: 101.7

CCI Copper Plated Round Nose 40g
20 shots all on target - No issues
DB: 104.7

CCI Quiet 40g
10 Rounds (had to manually cycle every round!?!?!?-had to remove mag and clear jam twice) - @50yards all shots were 3 mil dots lower than aimed
DB: 93.5

Second Test - Phone placed 8-10" from the firearm
Ruger American 22 Bolt Action

Federal AutoMatch 40g
15 Rounds - All on target, no issues
DB:97.8

10 Rounds - All on target, no issues

CCI Quiet 40g
15 Rounds - Inconsistent aim, got several different ratings
DB: 91.4/92.7/93.5

For Comparison:
Hi-Point 995
Winchester Forget 9mm 115g
DB: 111.0

IAC 982 Shotgun
Federal Field & Target 2 3/4 | 12g | 3 Dram| 1 1/8oz | 8 shot
DB: 114.5

beautiful day to head to the range today. Finally some sun and warm temperatures.
I downloaded the Decibel 10th App on my iPhone and started the testing. I am not familiar with how accurate the app is. if anyone has any legit equipment to test it (it is free on the App store) I would appreciate it.

Ruger 10-22

Federal AutoMatch 40g

CCI Quiet 40g
10 Rounds (had to manually cycle every round!?!?!?-had to remove mag and clear jam twice) - @50yards all shots were 3 mil dots lower than aimed

Federal AutoMatch 40g

CCI Quiet 40g

For Comparison:
Hi-Point 995

IAC 982 Shotgun

Awesome. I lost most of my hearing in my one good ear when a .380 went off about 3 feet from ear (ears on but not fully inserted). Would be interesting to see what the dB level would be. I only have 9mm. Next time I'm at range, I'm going to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the testing, but those numbers can't be correct!! I shoot federal automatch out of a 10/22 all the time, off the porch, in the back woods, and in the pits, no ear protection necessary. Put the same rounds in a revolver, and you want ear protection. Use CCI quiet in the pistol, ear protection, eh, not so necessary but a good idea. CCI quiet in the 10/22 (it will occasionally cycle the bolt, you gotta do some polishing and lube it like it's an AR) no ear pro necessary.

Maybe I'm deaf??

Depends where you put the microphone. (And the two turntables.)

For a 10/22, you are well BEHIND the shock wave when firing. A revolver - all sorts of shock and sound waves escape via the cylinder gap and are less focused via the far shorter bbl.

Phone was about 8-10" away from the trigger. Down and right. Microphone facing towards me.
I can definitely see that getting it wrong readings. But the difference is still pretty significant.
I personally don't see the value in quiet though because of how Inconcistent it was with aim

103 dB hearing loss both ears...tinitus in right ear for over 50 years....constant white noise..known as Deaf Rob at BR&P...bilateral hearing aids...$5000...NEVER SHOOT WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION. 56 years of shooting, well over 500,000 rounds down range.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

How long were the barrels?

My 22" .22 is much quieter than my 16", at least for me when shooting them.

Ruger 10-22

Federal AutoMatch 40g

CCI Quiet 40g

Federal AutoMatch 40g

CCI Quiet 40g

For Comparison:
Hi-Point 995

IAC 982 Shotgun

CCI quiet isn't supposed to cycle a stock semi-auto bolt, so it wasn't doing anything wrong

As someone who builds silencers I can assure you that any iphone measured dB numbers are incorrect and allow me to explain why. In order to accurately measure the blast you must have an incredibly high sample rate so that when you start taking samples of the sound the point in which a sample is taken and the sound level peaks are as close as possible to each other. If you have any old mic you will not be able to sample fast enough to get the peak and what you are actually picking up is the back side of the sound wave. Military spec is 102.4khz 1m perpendicular to the muzzle.

also to note a 22lr SV round unsuppressed and measured in the conditions I mentioned will meter in the high 130's, mini mags will be higher as will most other supersonic rimfire rounds.

CCI quiet isn't supposed to cycle a stock semi-auto bolt, so it wasn't doing anything wrong

That's the consensus on the ruger forums as well. Though when I shoot quiets from my stock 10-22, most rounds will cycle the bolt.

As someone who builds silencers I can assure you that any iphone measured dB numbers are incorrect and allow me to explain why. In order to accurately measure the blast you must have an incredibly high sample rate so that when you start taking samples of the sound the point in which a sample is taken and the sound level peaks are as close as possible to each other. If you have any old mic you will not be able to sample fast enough to get the peak and what you are actually picking up is the back side of the sound wave. Military spec is 102.4khz 1m perpendicular to the muzzle.

That's some cool info.

Phone was about 8-10" away from the trigger. Down and right. Microphone facing towards me.
I can definitely see that getting it wrong readings. But the difference is still pretty significant.
I personally don't see the value in quiet though because of how Inconcistent it was with aim

I use the Aguila powderless 20gr. .22s to knockdown squirrels all the time.
aguila,%20wolf,%20magtech%20028.JPG

It is very quiet and consistent. I can shoot one ragged hole at 25 yds. The pattern opens up to about the size of a nickel at 50 yds. I haven't patterned it at longer than 50 yds. It won't cycle a semi auto. I just manually cycle my 10/22. Even out of my 4 in barreled single action revolver it is still plenty quiet enough to not need hearing protection. About as loud as an old school cap gun. It is actually much quieter than my air rifle. Of course my air rifle throws lead faster than most .22s, 1300 FPS. [laugh]

I appreciate the testing, but those numbers can't be correct!! I shoot federal automatch out of a 10/22 all the time, off the porch, in the back woods, and in the pits, no ear protection necessary. Put the same rounds in a revolver, and you want ear protection. Use CCI quiet in the pistol, ear protection, eh, not so necessary but a good idea. CCI quiet in the 10/22 (it will occasionally cycle the bolt, you gotta do some polishing and lube it like it's an AR) no ear pro necessary.

Maybe I'm deaf??

Even with .22 the damage can be cumulative.
Wear hearing pro always.
I have my own personal dial tone and say "What? " way more than I should .
Protect yourself, you'll never get back what you lose.

I came here to post this. Good info, good initiative on the testing. :)

As far as the phone apps go, while the wrong tool for gunfire, surprisingly a smartphone can be "good enough" for occupational health risk assessment (e.g. rock music or a construction site).

CCI Quiet 40g
There are very few semis CCI "Quiet-22" will reliably cycle. OTOH, run it in a bolt gon and it's the closest you can legally get to hunting with a suppressor in MA.

As far as the phone apps go, while the wrong tool for gunfire, surprisingly a smartphone can be "good enough" for occupational health risk assessment (e.g. rock music or a construction site).

There are very few semis CCI "Quiet-22" will reliably cycle. OTOH, run it in a bolt gon and it's the closest you can legally get to hunting with a suppressor in MA.
I have factory moderated Daystate and Airforce air rifles in. 25 that are legal to hunt with in MA. The hit on the target is louder than the rifle. 50+ fpe. Soon the .357 and .45 will be factory moderated too. 400+ fpe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have factory moderated Daystate and Airforce air rifles in. 25 that are legal to hunt with in MA. The hit on the target is louder than the rifle. 50+ fpe. Soon the .357 and .45 will be factory moderated too. 400+ fpe
Has mass wildlife published an official position on airgun hunting?

I have some of those same airguns, still prefer my powder burners for anything bigger than a chipmunk.

103 dB hearing loss both ears...tinitus in right ear for over 50 years....constant white noise..known as Deaf Rob at BR&P...bilateral hearing aids...$5000...NEVER SHOOT WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION. 56 years of shooting, well over 500,000 rounds down range.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sounds like me. I'll look for you next time I'm there. I just spent 5k on Signia Pure CROS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groundscraper and Derek beat me to it.

You need a measurement instrument that is properly calibrated and has fast enough rise time to capture the transient peak of the shot.
One such meter that is used for this type of measurement is a B&K 2209 impulse meter.

https://youtu.be/uy-K856XADk

edit to add:
We have measured CCI standard velocity to be around 155ish dB from a 4.5" barrel ruger mk3 if I remember correctly, so I would say your numbers are a bit low. This is measured 1m to the left of the muzzle & same height.

Last edited:
I bought the volquartsen firefly bolt assy which was specifically made to function cci quiets coupled with one of their carbon fiber barrels its the next best thing to suppressed. 20170518_233423.jpg

Groundscraper and Derek beat me to it.

You need a measurement instrument that is properly calibrated and has fast enough rise time to capture the transient peak of the shot.
One such meter that is used for this type of measurement is a B&K 2209 impulse meter.

https://youtu.be/uy-K856XADk

edit to add:
We have measured CCI standard velocity to be around 155ish dB from a 4.5" barrel ruger mk3 if I remember correctly, so I would say your numbers are a bit low. This is measured 1m to the left of the muzzle & same height.

Based on the numbers I got from the 2 different length barrels I would guess it's not insane off.
I'm guess I'd get north of 145 if I shot from a 3.5" barrel. But I'll have to try that next time.

Back
Top Bottom