• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo costs vs. gun costs

I did a quick calculation and I have spent more on guns that on ammo to date. I was surprised it wasn't more on ammo but I do reload so that helps... plus I only shoot a few guns a ton.... some don't get much use.

It was pretty close to 1:1 though. How about everyone else? Afraid to make some calculations? [laugh][laugh]

Last edited:
On this subject I was out buying 223 for the pumpkin mash and was once again just stunned by the prices.... I understand we want to support the local gun shops but at a 30% increase from Walmart what the hell are we supposed to do. I actually wanted to turn around and return the 4 boxes I had purchased and go back to Wally for more.

Asking for bulk of between 5k-10k rounds the dealer said he would be surprised if he could order that quantity. Stating he just purchased 1k at a cost of $400- WTF>?

If I was buying factory ammo, there's no question that I would've spent far more on ammo than on the guns that fire it. As it is, I might've spent that much on reloading components.

On this subject I was out buying 223 for the pumpkin mash and was once again just stunned by the prices.... I understand we want to support the local gun shops but at a 30% increase from Walmart what the hell are we supposed to do. I actually wanted to turn around and return the 4 boxes I had purchased and go back to Wally for more.

Asking for bulk of between 5k-10k rounds the dealer said he would be surprised if he could order that quantity. Stating he just purchased 1k at a cost of $400- WTF>?

It aint cheap, thats for sure. If you dont mind driving, Cabela's had 500 packs of Wolf for $109. That's the cheapest I've seen.

Still waiting for some NES'er to allow me entrance into the mailorder ammo club. [wink]

500 .223 even if it's Wolf for $109 is a hell of a deal. Cheapest I've seen lately is $5.50 for 20.

I was doing well when I only had .22 and 9mm to shoot. Ive just begun in the higher calibers and man-oh-man i need to get a reloading setup for xmas. Most places are selling .44 mag for like $35 per 50. Ive been stokcing up for the pumpkin shoot and am quickly realizing ill shoot more in ammo through the gun in a few months than the price of the gun itself.

For most of my guns the gun has cost more than the ammo it has
consumed.

That being said, my bowling pin gun has probably eaten enough
factory .45 ACP to more than surpass its cost. It's time to get my reloading
setup in gear. I want to work up a hot 200 gn flatnose or a slightly
hot 230 gn hardball load.

-Mike

If your ammo costs have not exceeded your gun costs, you haven't been shooting very long.

+1! After 26 years of putting lead downrange, I strongly doubt that my gun costs have exceeded my ammo costs... even with all the new toys I've bought in the last few years.

Being a newbie...I've probably spent less than the cost of my guns on ammo.... that is unless I have to count all the reloading equipment I have.

If your ammo costs exceed your gun costs, then you just haven't been buying enough guns [grin]

NO; if your gun costs exceeds your ammo costs, you're just a collector with safe queens you don't shoot!

And you really should be considering coins or stamps. [slap]

The ammo I shoot is almost free, and my guns, are practically worthless. That's what I tell my wife, and I'm sticking to it!

Which reminds me, I've got to grab some S&W 500's so I can shoot someones toy at the pumpkin shoot.

I could buy a lot of ammo for what the HK94A3 cost me..... Most definitely a safe queen.

The ammo I shoot is almost free, and my guns, are practically worthless. That's what I tell my wife, and I'm sticking to it!

Dude, I am so with you on this...my fiancee and I operate on a "dont ask-dont-tell" system when it comes to guns and ammo. She doesnt ask, I dont tell, and we both are happy so long as the bills get paid. Works for me!

I am going to get into reloading soon and the startup cost will be high, so my plans are to pull the "but honey, im SAVING money"

NO; if your gun costs exceeds your ammo costs, you're just a collector with safe queens you don't shoot!

And you really should be considering coins or stamps. [slap]

I dry fire a lot.. it helps me save money and shoot better and buy more guns. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom