• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Bunker (Woburn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds gay, going through a curtain to purchase ammo. How special do you need to feel as a gun owner / ammo distributor? It's only ammo.

Actually sounds like a place that would be a bit shady to me. Do you have to know the secrete hand shake in order to be allowed through the curtain?

Sounds gay, going through a curtain to purchase ammo. How special do you need to feel as a gun owner / ammo distributor? It's only ammo.

Although it did feel like going to a NYC-style live peep show, without the wooden sliding door, this place is just transitioning, I would give it some time to get the storefront sorted out.

Chris

Although it did feel like going to a NYC-style live peep show, without the wooden sliding door, this place is just transitioning, I would give it some time to get the storefront sorted out.

Chris

How do you even know this, the peep show wooden door thing?

Ammo Bunker isn't much better... I actually got a reply to the email I sent earlier, asking for more info about what they have to feed an AR15...

"We only have top end rounds of 5.56. ($20 plus per box for 20 rounds). I think we have maybe 20 boxes of it."

I hope those are the super-killy, self guided, tactical nuke rounds there. Especially at $1/round. Even with the 20% discount, provided they actually HAVE any when you get there, it's beyond what's reasonable.

I don't know what they are referring to, but top-end AR match ammo (GMM/Black Hills) used to sell for around $20/box BEFORE the recent panic. For the right ammo, that price isn't out of line.

Guys, lighten up. No where near you? Fine. Like your own gun shop? Great. But don't bash these dudes for trying to make a go of it during a rough time for the industry (let alone the issues with MA). Don't like the membership offer, cool, don't buy it, I don't think I will either.

I went there about a week and a half ago, and I had a very good experience.

It's bright, clean, and well organized, not the seedy picture that some are painting. Sure, you guys are real cute comparing it to a peep show, but c'mon guys, not cool, that's uncalled for blue-on-blue right there. The curtain and LTC check prior to going back to the gun store area is definitely a little different. But on the other hand it was also a pleasure to not have to crawl over folks in some of the more overpopulated stores these days, such as Four Seasons. Don't get me wrong, I really like FS, but most of the time I walk out annoyed because I can't move in there (sorry Carl, I do really like your place). I thought it was genuinely refreshing not to have to deal with that aspect, and the Ammo Bunker folks working there were pleasant and attentive.

When I was there I picked up some 9mm (Federal) and 7.62x39 (Tula). Prices were competitive given the ammo I was buying. Place definitely seems like it's in transition with the curtain, it'll be interesting to see how the store evolves and how the inventory grows. In my judgement, the slant toward hunting inventory maybe was reflective of when they could readily get and stock. Handgun stock wasn't great, but isn't especially good anywhere right now.

I'll definitely go back.

Guys, lighten up. No where near you? Fine. Like your own gun shop? Great. But don't bash these dudes for trying to make a go of it during a rough time for the industry (let alone the issues with MA). Don't like the membership offer, cool, don't buy it, I don't think I will either.

I went there about a week and a half ago, and I had a very good experience.

It's bright, clean, and well organized, not the seedy picture that some are painting. Sure, you guys are real cute comparing it to a peep show, but c'mon guys, not cool, that's uncalled for blue-on-blue right there. The curtain and LTC check prior to going back to the gun store area is definitely a little different. But on the other hand it was also a pleasure to not have to crawl over folks in some of the more overpopulated stores these days, such as Four Seasons. Don't get me wrong, I really like FS, but most of the time I walk out annoyed because I can't move in there (sorry Carl, I do really like your place). I thought it was genuinely refreshing not to have to deal with that aspect, and the Ammo Bunker folks working there were pleasant and attentive.

When I was there I picked up some 9mm (Federal) and 7.62x39 (Tula). Prices were competitive given the ammo I was buying. Place definitely seems like it's in transition with the curtain, it'll be interesting to see how the store evolves and how the inventory grows. In my judgement, the slant toward hunting inventory maybe was reflective of when they could readily get and stock. Handgun stock wasn't great, but isn't especially good anywhere right now.

I'll definitely go back.

I think people are just having a little fun with them, me included. When I was there, they seemed pleasant enough, although didn't have what I was looking for. You have to admit, a black curtain kind of screams Illicit Activity Beyond. I don't view my choice of hobbies that way, but whatever. I was also slightly taken aback by being carded (LTC) before entering. Does that mean my wife, who's still waiting for hers, wouldn't be allowed to join me inside? I was told that they would be having an official grand opening in March, I think. I have no problem spreading my business around a bit, but would like to see all the secret squirrel horses**t go away.

Yeah I will agree, they do need to get that curtain thing straightened out, hopefully in March. Good question about non-LTC people accompanying though, they should answer that question about their policy if monitoring the thread.

I went in a couple weeks ago. I think the curtain is temporary until the switch from booze to guns is done. Can't say I blame them on that. They seemed like real good guys to me. God knows i got a better response from them on day one than I've ever had from the morticians in stoneham, and I've been buying guns there for 20 years. Good luck to them. The more local gun stores the better.

You are not required to buy a membership. It's optional. The membership gives you 10% across the board. Sometimes more. It's not hard to do the math and determine if its worth the investment.

They should continue with the booze, start stocking cigarettes and they could rename themselves "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" I would buy a membership to that store!

Chris

Went here today during lunch after reading all this. Glad I read these posts first because yes it is hard to find. The curtain isn't as weird as it sounds, like other people said they are transitioning. Unfortunately not a ton of stock right now. The ammo they did have was all more than Four Seasons from what I compared, so it is tough to rationalize buying it here, unless I really needed some and 4S had a line out the door.

By the way, the .223 in stock was Hornady Superformance. I think it was $25 a box of 20, which isn't that crazy compared to prices even online especially if you added in shipping. That is, if you could get it shipped to you. So its not like we're talking Tula or UMC for $20+ a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom