• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Armor Magazine Covers... ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR EDC!

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Saw these on AllOutdoor
They look great for pocket-carry of spare mags...
These are not suitable for EDC-Carry when risk of Life is involved.
Ammo Armor Magazine Protection

Home_25_1090x1090_crop_top@2x.gif

EDIT: Absolutely NOT for EDC where life or death is involved.

Last edited:
eff' it. Bought 4.
Color-coded for platform.
I hate Dirty Magazines...[smile]

Last edited:
So with this thing you would have to reholster first, use two hands to take the sleeve off, and then you reload? Seems counter intuitive.
I was just going to point this out. Good idea on paper, horrible idea in real life.

"Hold on Bad guy, I need to use both hands to get my second mag"

And hope the cover doesnt somehow get stuck to the mag.

Last edited:
So with this thing you would have to reholster first, use two hands to take the sleeve off, and then you reload? Seems counter intuitive.

Shouldn't be any more difficult than a tactical reload where the secondary hand manipulates two mags at once...
If you can do this, pulling a cover off a mag shouldn't be too hard.
iu

I intend to rotate it into training and test it out.
And if I don't like it I'll put a mag in it and throw it in my glovebox...

Last edited:
Lol. You guys must get into a lot more Gunfights than I do... [rofl2]
Trust me. My mag will ride in my pocket waaay more than being emptied into a crowd of badguys...

EDIT: YOU WERE RIGHT and I WAS WRONG ~Matt

Last edited:

Lacking in tacticality. All operations are to be performed one-handed off edge of belt. This includes removal of this mag cover, manipulation of wallet, flossing and intercourse. Otherwise one isnt really operating theyre just doing.

Lol. You guys must get into a lot more Gunfights than I do... [rofl2]
Trust me. My mag will ride in my pocket waaay more than being emptied into a crowd of badguys...
But isnt the purpose of carrying to be prepared for the worse?

Maybe I missed the point of carrying.

Shouldn't be any more difficult than a tactical reload where the secondary hand manipulates two mags at once...
If you can do this, pulling a cover off a mag shouldn't be too hard.
iu

I intend to rotate it into training and test it out.
And if I don't like it I'll put a mag in it and throw it in my glovebox...
I can guarantee you that wont work, because you dont just have to hold two pieces of gear, you have to take one from inside another that looks like it fits somewhat tight while holding your gun and looking at the bad guy.

I'm sure you can do it with one hand, but not in a reasonable amount of time.

Drill a hole in the closed end, insert 550 cord - knot on both ends. Use cord to bite to use one handed. We used to do this with M-16 magazines before they invented the little thingy you can pull on to remove them from the pouch.

Product in desperate search of a solution. A simple mag carrier will solve this, allow you to have the mag at the ready AND not require any additional training.

Lol. If it was about max speed, I'd walk around carrying at Low Ready... [smile]

Product in desperate search of a solution. A simple mag carrier will solve this, allow you to have the mag at the ready AND not require any additional training.

I don't like mag carriers for EDC. The range, sure, but I don't want one on my belt...
So, it's the front pocket for me; and for some reason I do generate a pant load of lint.
(I gotta stop wearing corduroy...)

I do like the teeth pull loop oddly... Thanks Tuna. I may try it on one.
Anyway, If it really does suck, I'll be honest and reply here.
At least in won't wind up in my box of holster rejects. It will go in my glovebox or gobag...
~Matt

Last edited:
No thanks.
Never had any problems with a dirty pistol or rifle magazine.

Just another distraction that could be very problematic.

After receiving and evaluating these magazine covers, I rescind my opinion on using these for EDC-carry when carrying for Self-Protection.

Why?

The covers, although well made, fit too tightly on all my mags that I tried fitting them on.
Those mags include; Glock 23, S&W M&P Shield.45, Colt 1911A1.

This is a no-go for rapid deployment, as many of you have commented on. You were right.

I was hoping that the covers would be a very light fit that you could almost "shake-off" while pulling from your pocket. NOT THE CASE.

Even a teeth-pull lanyard would prove difficult in an emergency situation.

The material however, is like a kydex and I think I could get a looser fit by heating with a hair dryer and torquing the mags back and forth.
Even if better, they would not be suitable for EDC.

The only place that these would be useful "as-is" would be for spare mag storage in dirty/dusty conditions or long term hideout uses. Possibly toolbox/go-bag/glovebox.

Absolutely NOT for EDC where life or death is involved.

Humbly submitted,
~Matt

Even a teeth-pull lanyard would prove difficult in an emergency situation.
Humbly submitted,
~Matt
Appreciate the honestly behind it. But let's be truly honest. This is only an issue if you're afraid to lose some teeth. /sarcasm
Though now I'm just picturing somebody without teeth trying to gum pull the thing...

Good update, thanks Enbloc. Live and learn, that’s why we all have a box of holsters somewhere that never get used either.

Appreciate the honestly behind it. But let's be truly honest. This is only an issue if you're afraid to lose some teeth. /sarcasm
Though now I'm just picturing somebody without teeth trying to gum pull the thing...

I was picturing Enbloc doing a John Wayne-esque grenade pin pull with his teeth while growling “you’ll never take me alive coppers!”

Back
Top Bottom