• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amherst Pistol Permit

Hi all, I'm new this site which I'm finding to be a great resource. I'm applying for my very first pistol permit in Amherst, NH. I read up on the process here and at GO-NH. I gleaned that the proper way to do this is to send it to the chief of police, certified mail return receipt requested? Any other tips? I want to do this right the first time.

What MrTwigg said. Drop it off in person, wait 14 days for a call that it is ready, go pick it up. It's not terribly complicated in the free world.

What MrTwigg said. Drop it off in person, wait 14 days for a call that it is ready, go pick it up. It's not terribly complicated in the free world.

Amherst PD is likely to hand deliver it to the applicant, generally well within the statutory time frame.

Amherst PD is likely to hand deliver it to the applicant, generally well within the statutory time frame.

Correct. They want you to drop off the form in person at the PD, and you can do this any time 24/7. They will give you a receipt for the $10 (nice touch) and they will hand deliver the License to you when ready. Mine has never taken more than 4 days, and my wife's was delivered in just one day. (What does she know that I don't?)

Welcome to another Amherst gun owner/shooter.

Most places you would want to certified mail it with receipt, and stay on their asses until it comes in, because they will push and break the law like they did with my wife. But based on others' experience in Amherst, I say do it their way. Just make sure as the years pass and you renew, that if they ever give you a hard time and break the law to not let them do it. It sounds like the Amherst PD has it right.

Glad to hear it! I dropped my renewal form off at the APD on Monday morning, the 28th, and an officer delivered it to my door on Tuesday, the 29th, at dinner time. Gotta love this town.

Back
Top Bottom