• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amherst Gun Shop

Guys
One thing you need to understand is that local gun dealers are totally at the mercy of their distributors. I can't speak for what kind of person this guy is because I've never been there, but all dealers go through one or two different distributors. If they don't send it, we don't get it. You can order until you're blue in the face, but it is up to them if it's on the truck at the end of the week.

Sometimes the items are not available to them, sometimes they give preferential treatment to certain dealers.

That's the way it is in most supply chains.

He shouldn't promise anything, but you shouldn't give him anything more than a deposit either. Any reputable dealer will refund a deposit if the wait is too long.

yeah, rookie mistake on my part, I'd just rather have been told "it will be late august/early sept" then lied to, and if it's his distributor that's giving him a line then he should have a word with them for making him look bad.

That plus the random $25 shipping charge that was added on when he was cashing me out. I should have just walked out and I'm kicking myself but at this point I just want my damn gun.

nope, but he did give me the "hang on while i call my distributor" then he said he could have it in his next shipment in 7-10 days, 7 days later it was "7-10 days more" I'm at just over a month now. Once he told me 7-10 days the second time I called springfield and asked them about when they're doing a run, they said late August, so we're about on schedule but just all the BS is pissing me off, the fact I keep getting told bull of "should be this week", if I don't have it by my b-day I'm canceling the order.

i would have cancelled already and ordered from someone else just on principle. if he can't be honest with you he doesn't deserve your money. there are way to many good gun dealers out there who need the dollars to be spending your money with somebody like that.

yeah, rookie mistake on my part, I'd just rather have been told "it will be late august/early sept" then lied to, and if it's his distributor that's giving him a line then he should have a word with them for making him look bad.

That plus the random $25 shipping charge that was added on when he was cashing me out. I should have just walked out and I'm kicking myself but at this point I just want my damn gun.

I'm not sure what the shipping charge is, but that's BS for sure. Sorry, I haven't read every post..did you ask for your money back?

Amherst Sportsman Shop

Went thru the same experience with that shop. Upcharged both times I bought a pistol there. Given one price when ordering, and paying more when picking up.

First time was supposed to be because: It was a hard to find pistol, and he had to pay more to get it for me: $25.00

Second time was the $25.00 fee that it seems others got hit-up with.

Second pistol had factory issues. I went back to talk to him about what I could do. He copped an attitude, right away about it, before I could even fully explain the issues I was having.
I finally was able to tell him that what I needed help with, was how to ship it to the manufacturer, to get it fixed.

I Don't like the place, I don't like the guy. Wouldn't shop there again, even if that was the only place with ammo in the region.

Last edited:
There is a few on one of the major auction sites..bid on it and have it shipped to a dealer(for the transfer) if you win.

If you tell him you want to cancel he is gonna say there is some insane cancellation charge or something.. At least thats what he told me when I said I wanted to cancel my order.. I unfortunalty used my debit card so disputing the charge after 2 months is a little difficult to do.. But good luck with your dispute..

The dealer saying the distributor didn't have it is mostly BS. This guy probably backordered something, took your money, and is now playing you like a fiddle, with your money, instead of trying to use different avenues to get you your product, or at least be honest with you and say "Well, I can't really get one of those easily... "

A common production gun should typically NEVER take more than a week or so to get- unless it's custom or something like that, or the chain is simply dry of those particular guns. (eg, like what happened during full tilt of post-obama election land)

Usually iff a dealer can't get me what I want immediately (a week or less) then I go to another dealer, or go to gunbroker and use a local transfer dealer. 9 out of 10 times there are no legit reasons for having to wait more than a week, maybe 2 at the most.

Sometimes you need to ask for straight answers- eg, "It's going to take 2 weeks" could mean "its really backordered into hell and back and that's just my wild assed guess to try to get you to pay for it up front" or it could mean " If I pay and reserve one of these from my distributor I -will- get it in 2 weeks. "

IMHO don't bother putting cash down on anything that isn't physically in stock somewhere if you can avoid it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, it is a fairly hard to find model, springfield 1911 GI in SS I called numerous shops in the area and they all said it would take a bit (this was after I placed the order *kicks self*). I have seen a couple on GB and I'm tempted to cancel and order one, *shrug*

Maine,

As I am sure you've noticed, the proprietor of that perticular shop has a poor reputation here. I'd done business with him and he always comes off as a "Used Car Sales Man" to me. Someone who's trying to slick talk you into a bad deal.

Numerous people have had issues with him claiming to have an item "In my werehouse" He doesn't maintain a werehouse. His computer is connected to his distributor's computer so he can look up their stock / prices, but their stock isn't updated daily. This has resulted in him promising availability of weapons to a number of people and then failing to deliver.

In addition he requires a high percentage (or paid in full) up-front on the purchase with a sizable restocking fee on a cancellation.

My advice: There are a lot of other firearm shops in the area who have better reputations. Visit them instead in the future.

BTW - if you're looking for a recomendation I can offer 2: Milford Firearms on Elm Street in Milford (101A towards Wilton, left hand side heading from Milford Center to Wilton) and Manchester Firing Line just off Brown Ave. I've done business with both, the owners of both are great and are both avid shooters. The later also sold the former a bunch of stock to help him get started in the past year.

Yeah, I went to MFL for my AR lower, I was extremely pleased with the service there, I got delayed and they were very informative on the process, what their policies were etc. In the future I plan on doing business up there more often, this was a case where I did the research on the gun and not the dealer.

I made the mistake of buying a marlin 336 from that clown years ago. I went through the same crap as the OP and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. I will never go back to that store ever again. Do yourself a favor, call him up and tell him you are cancelling your order. He will say he has a restocking fee, tell him there is nothing to restock because he does not have the gun and you will dispute all charges with the CC company. He has been this way before and knows it isnt worth fighting you over it. Then go support a reputable dealer, Screw him.

Milford Firearms should eventually take a lot of business away from the a-hole in Amhearst once more people know the shop exists. I went into Nick's shop for the first time a few weeks ago and came out a very satisfied customer that will return because of the good, knowledgeable service I received and the general atmosphere of the shop. Granted, he doesn't have a Riley's level of stock but what he does offer is priced fairly and he will work hard to get you anything you'd like without the BS.

Avoid the creepy guy in Amherst

MaineAH,

I'm sorry for your trouble. I went there some months ago looking for assistance on an FFL transfer. About 15 seconds after I start talking to him, he starts dropping the f-bomb like it was the only adjective or adverb in his vocabulary. Then he gives me the hard sell about how he could get what I wanted cheaper, faster, better, blah, blah, blah. I got such a weird vibe, I left.

Do the community a favor, and cancel your order. Take your business where it will be appreciated: Reilly's, MFL, or try the new guy in Milford - who seems like a good guy.

The dog is nice. I figure the dog's the brains behind the operation.

I went there last year to try and get my hunting license, the guy was snoring in his chair and it took a few mins of yelling at him to wake up. [rolleyes] He ended up not having any licenses so i just walked out.

The only bad thing about living in NH is that I can't buy guns at Four Seasons. Man, I miss that place. Every Saturday morning...

A little off topic , but the company I work for does the landscaping at that little strip where the shop is ...Im there all the time mowing and whatnot , and have never stepped foot in the place even more so now that I have read the issues others have had...I talked to the guy once outside seems kinda shady if you ask me

Just as a quick update, I'm just passing 3 months about a week ago, called him again today, supposedly he's getting a manifest Friday and my 1911 is supposed to be on the list. I've decided if it's not I'll be disputing the charges on the credit card and ordering from GB to pick up at MFL. I was going to tonight but I decided to give him one more call. I'll probably regret this but we'll see.

I think it is funny that you said you saw him snoring in the chair . I have been in there 4-5 times. (before I read these posts!) he was asleep most times!

It disturbs me that someone with all these firearms is asleep in the chair with nothing locked down.
and no, I dont go in there anymore to buy anything.

Last edited:
Well, I spoke to him last Friday, told him I wanted to cancel my order, he asked me to wait until Monday and he'd get me a solid delivery date. On Monday he said it was shipped and would be in by the end of the week, went in today (Thurs) and it was being finished at the factory, test fired and shipping out soon. I asked him for my money back in front of another customer, he called to cancel the order and told me I'd have to wait until next Wed.

So that's where we're at now, I am disputing the charges tonight and once the money is back in my hands I will order what I want off GB and pick it up at MFL.

After 3 and 1/2 months of screwing around this is how it ends... I seriously hate that guy, never once did I get an apology, or an offer to sweeten the deal if I stayed with him, nada, TERRIBLE customer service... and apparently my 1911 has been being finished up and test fired for about 3 months, maybe that's how he can give people used guns and say they're new. "Oh no, it's just had 1000 rounds test fired through it".

I... am frustrated.

Well, I spoke to him last Friday, told him I wanted to cancel my order, he asked me to wait until Monday and he'd get me a solid delivery date. On Monday he said it was shipped and would be in by the end of the week, went in today (Thurs) and it was being finished at the factory, test fired and shipping out soon. I asked him for my money back in front of another customer, he called to cancel the order and told me I'd have to wait until next Wed.

So that's where we're at now, I am disputing the charges tonight and once the money is back in my hands I will order what I want off GB and pick it up at MFL.

After 3 and 1/2 months of screwing around this is how it ends... I seriously hate that guy, never once did I get an apology, or an offer to sweeten the deal if I stayed with him, nada, TERRIBLE customer service... and apparently my 1911 has been being finished up and test fired for about 3 months, maybe that's how he can give people used guns and say they're new. "Oh no, it's just had 1000 rounds test fired through it".

I... am frustrated.

I think "It's being finished at the factory" is Al-Ese for "I haven't found a used gun that I can pass off as a new one cheap enough yet to make the profit margin I want to make off of you with your money. "

-Mike

I think "It's being finished at the factory" is Al-Ese for "I haven't found a used gun that I can pass off as a new one cheap enough yet to make the profit margin I want to make off of you with your money. "

-Mike

Ironically if he had gone on GB and bought one and had it shipped to him he would have made $25-$35 profit off me, now he's not making anything, sounds like a dumb move to me.

Try Nick in Milford at Milford Firearms, he's just starting out but seems like a nice guy who could use the business. Always good to have an extra, quality, gunshop available. I went into the Amherst shop once, was underwhelmed and never went back. I've been to Milford a couple of time and while it may be small at this time,Nick seems like nice people and I'd like to see him grow

Try Nick in Milford at Milford Firearms, he's just starting out but seems like a nice guy who could use the business. Always good to have an extra, quality, gunshop available. I went into the Amherst shop once, was underwhelmed and never went back. I've been to Milford a couple of time and while it may be small at this time,Nick seems like nice people and I'd like to see him grow

+1 on Milford Firearms. Great place with good people working there.

Just as a close out to this thread, he never got my handgun in, I disputed the charges with my credit card company, they got my money back the full amount.

But, I did get my M1 Garand yesterday WOOT!

Back
Top Bottom