• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ames Rifle and Pistol Club

I thought some of the members here would like to know, I received an email today in which Jim Shepard, owner of Zero Hour Arms in Easton announced that he is running for the position of Club President at the next election.

In his email, Jim indicates that he decided to run at the request of many of the club members who are not happy with current leadership.

I thought some of the members here would like to know, I received an email today in which Jim Shepard, owner of Zero Hour Arms in Easton announced that he is running for the position of Club President at the next election.

In his email, Jim indicates that he decided to run at the request of many of the club members who are not happy with current leadership.

I just read through that but I have no idea how the election process works. He'd get my vote.

is it true DAV have no yearly fee? just the initial new member fee? would check online, but.....site is still down

I am a DAV and It is free to be a member, they just need proof from the V.A of injury's or your latest DD214 showing PH, I showed 214 and my V.A coversheet showing only my rating no details.

Great news Fencer wish I could help. The Club is not bad, The management is deplorable. Vote in some change and that place has potential to be a great club.

Great news Fencer wish I could help. The Club is not bad, The management is deplorable. Vote in some change and that place has potential to be a great club.

Absolutely!!

I have met some great people at Ames and really like the facility. To the best of my knowledge, it has the only heated 300 yard rifle range in the area. We have 3 outdoor ranges and a 24/7/365 indoor pistol range, and it is 10 minutes or so from my home. It's great to be able to just show up at 10:00 pm and shoot.

I personally have never had any issues with any one there but have heard the stories. It really is a shame when you hear about some of the experiences that people have had to endure at the club. The former Secretary, Michelle was great and she went way out of her way to make my son, who was 9 at the time, feel welcome and offer encouragement. He used to look for her truck every time we went shooting and was always happy when she was there. He still asks about her all the time.

I cannot even count the number of times that i was there with my son when a member would offer to let you run a magazine through their gun, and I have done the same.

Hope this works out for you Fencer and the boys at Ames.

Thanks Billy, I am pretty sure we have met several times. If I am not mistaken, your let me shoot you GSG one afternoon and you were on the 300yrd range one day when I was shooting my Rem 700. That GSG is a sweet little gun. We had just picked up a 15-22 and it made me wish I had gone with the GSG.

I hope that all members of the club will see this post and show up Sept 10th and VOTE! Regardless of how you vote, let your voice be heard and take part in the direction and management of the club

Last edited:
I've been a member of the club since last year, and I've never had any issues there. All the members have been totally friendly, I mostly shoot 300, never had any sort of issues with anyone there.

After I set my target at 300yd, get everything outof my car and set up, the Tres told me "You better move your in Ira's spot" I moved over but was told "all the way to the end, Ira uses the first 3 benches" Not only did the prick shoot at my target, he tried to screw me out of a gun! I was also advised by the Tresurer "You should take that deal, Ira knows more about guns than anyone" Sorry, the gun was worth almost 3x's what I was offered. Nice club? Run by 2 thugs in my opinion.

Ira has a special gift to rub people wrong way on occasions. When he's in good mood he jokes around, but he's sense of humor can be inflammatory.

After I set my target at 300yd, get everything outof my car and set up, the Tres told me "You better move your in Ira's spot" I moved over but was told "all the way to the end, Ira uses the first 3 benches" Not only did the prick shoot at my target, he tried to screw me out of a gun! I was also advised by the Tresurer "You should take that deal, Ira knows more about guns than anyone" Sorry, the gun was worth almost 3x's what I was offered. Nice club? Run by 2 thugs in my opinion.

are you sure they were not just pulling your chain? sounds exactly like what they would do. the best way to deal with their bad humor is not take the bait or get all upset. eventually they stop picking on you. I've gone through the same treatment as a new member few years back. I think it is a hazing of sorts they give to new guys. I don't think it's professional or fair, but many things in life aren't. This club works for me, now. Besides Ira's attitude i have no other real complaints.

Things at Ames are not as peachy as most people tend to portray but not as bad as other want to make it sound. Can it use some improvement? It can. But so can be said about any club. All boils down to changes that YOU/I personally would like to see and if THOSE don't come true it might seem that things are not happening the way they should. but things are happening there and those are guided by majority of members, that happened to be a minority that cares to show up to club meetings. I've been to bunch of them and there is only 40-50 people there - mostly Ira's and current BOD supporters. No wonder things are run the way they are. Even with that being said thing are not running badly - just differently then most of younger folk would like to see.

club politics is like social politics: you want change - you need to gather supporters and show up at the meeting and squash the opposition. but as i said - there is only 3 dozen people there. That's sad number for a club that has more than thousand members.

Last edited:
I don't have thin skin, I grew up in a large disfunctional family. These 2 guys are A$$holes. I know a hustle when I see one and they were trying to push me to sell or trade for a piece of chit. The gun was transfered to me by a relative that has forgotten more than Ira will ever know about guns. They took me for a fool, wrong. I started shooting on Sunday mornings as a result of this and ran into a great group of members. These 2 thugs ran them from the club soon after they screwed the Secretary and talked nothing but crap about her. Michele was more passionate about that club than those 2 fools ever were. There is another thread about this I'm following and someone made a point that was True. Even the BOD have no idea what these 2 Crooks are up to. Don't be nieve denpro-mike, certainly you see what is going on there.

I just read through that but I have no idea how the election process works. He'd get my vote.

Greetings! September 10th, show up to the meeting and make your vote count. The President and Vice President are elected for three year terms concurrently. Last true election was 2009 when I was elected to Vice President and there was no mention of the president...not even running uncontested as was mentioned in prior newsletters. In 2011 you will see that there was an "election" however that would be inaccurate per our By-Laws. A person would have been appointed to replace me and then the executive board would have to ratify said appointment - this is NOT an election. My departure was under false pretenses however, I will address that later...on September 10th. Look at the REAL By-Laws as posted by me vs the By-Laws on the Ames website currently (which is a recent addition BTW). Compare the two sets and you will see the By-Laws posted on the website have been tailored without membership approval. When was the last time any of us was asked to vote on a change to the By-Laws? I look forward to questions, comments and concerns so please feel free to contact me.

Respectfully,

James (Jim) Sheppard
PS - I posted By-Laws on Ames time for a change thread as well as my Zero Hour Arms Facebook page AND in an e-mail to the membership.

I've been a member of the club since last year, and I've never had any issues there. All the members have been totally friendly, I mostly shoot 300, never had any sort of issues with anyone there.

Glad to hear that! However, you are new. Did you know that if certain members of the board believe that you are a safety issue that the club can send a letter to your issuing agency stating such? What's the clubs standard for "safety"? Talking back to a member of the board? Parking in a certain spot on the club property and refusing to move? Not bench shooting? It's not the place of the club to write letters to the issuing agency of ANYBODY for ANY reason specifically because there is no legal standard set that requires it and this "power" could be (has been) abused by certain members of the board. You should talk to more people and see how the club is managed. September 10th is the vote...make your voice heard and help shape the club. Any comments, questions or concerns feel free to contact me

Respectfully,

James (Jim) Sheppard

Happy New Year!! A great resolution would be to Audit the books. Out with the "Old boy network"

Check out the date! I must have had a crystal ball. This should have been avoided. The members neede more then this tax year! The dates don't lie!

Nothing more will come of this. The issue is mute and the members are happy with the status quoe. I have hurt a members feelings in another post, so I'm trying to refrain. My intentions were never to hurt peoples feelings.

Nothing more will come of this. The issue is mute and the members are happy with the status quoe. I have hurt a members feelings in another post, so I'm trying to refrain. My intentions were never to hurt peoples feelings.

Yea it's too bad, but not really our problem anymore. If the current members don't care they won't have a club left to go to within a couple years. I won't lose sleep over it.

Yep, as they say I don't Shive a Git. I would like to see new leadership because I hate corruption. People bankrupt great organizations and afterwards everyone says I wish I could have done more. Not me on this one. Not my club Not my problem.

what are the requirements for becoming a member here, id like to get into as many places as my wallet will allow i like having the opertunity to have more then 1 or 2 places to go to change of scenery is always nice

Back
Top Bottom