• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

America's Most Heavily Armed Counties - Top 101 Counties/Parishes

Some surprises, some not so surprises. Source is from city-data.com forum - not clear if this is self-reported or not. Doesn't appear to be connected to any NICS checks so I'm guessing it's self-reported.

NH: 3 in the top 101 - Grafton (#44), Merrimack (#61), and Rockingham (#100)

VT: 4 in the top 101 - Franklin (#8), Orange (#20), Windsor (#36), Chittenden (#83)

ME: 2 in the top 101 - York (#53), Cumberland (#91)

CT: 1 in the top 101 - Windham (#84)

RI: 0

MA: 0

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...nes-that-arent-on-the-map-might-surprise-you/

Source: http://www.city-data.com/top2/co8.html

now compare the statistical crime rate for each of these counties (corrected for population of course).

Bet you'll find some interesting results.

Im on my phone in a bar so didnt click links.
So, are the numbers per capita or sheer numbers of firearms?

My guess is that they got phone-poll data from somewhere like Rasmussen or Gallup, people who answered "Yes" to "Is there a gun in your home?" My guess is that close to 100% of non-legal gun owners and some percentage of legal gun owners would answer "no".

One thing people who analyze such things are having difficulty explaining, for example, is the discrepancy between gun sales (soaring in recent years, as we all know) and the percentage of homes that have firearms in them (dropping, if you believe phone-survey results). One possibility is that there are fewer homes but that each home with guns has more guns. The other is that people are suspicious of phone polls and are falsely answering "No."

As far as the dubiousness of phone poll results, consider the first graph here. Notice the peak at 51% around the time of the AWB, and subsequent dropoff during the rest of the Clinton years. People lying, perhaps because they were fearful of a ban and confiscation? After that, during the Bush 43 administration, it nudges back up slightly but continues to hover around 40%. You see a sharp drop again after 2012--again, lying about gun ownership due to fear of a ban?

My guess is that they got phone-poll data from somewhere like Rasmussen or Gallup, people who answered "Yes" to "Is there a gun in your home?" My guess is that close to 100% of non-legal gun owners and some percentage of legal gun owners would answer "no".
I know many people in Boston who don't believe whether they have a gun in their house or not is anybody's business. Ever.

Surprised none of the coastal Oregon counties made it. The only anti-gun people I know here only own one or two guns for hunting and home defense. I'm sure there are plenty of non-gun owners, they're just few and far between.

I can't imagine how this data can be reliable. I mean, if someone called you up or asked you to fill out a form about your guns, how would you respond?

I can't imagine how this data can be reliable. I mean, if someone called you up or asked you to fill out a form about your guns, how would you respond?

It isn't.

Just looking at the data from Maine and I can tell you it's all BS: they are saying the 2 southernmost counties, the most urbanized and liberal counties in the state have the highest rate of gun ownership.
Not even close.

Unless someone goes door to door in RI, the records of firearms purchased in the state are destroyed, and the towns that issue the permits are compelled by law not to give the information out (11-47-11)

Back
Top Bottom