• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American Rifleman

I'm upset with this month's issue of American Rifleman. It contains an article that really pumps up the NRA and all the great things they do for firearm owners across the country. It also mentions the draconian laws and regulations of states like California, New Jersey, Maryland, and of course, Massachusetts. There is one statement, however that sums up the postion of the NRA, at least here in MA. That statement is: "where the political realities allow...". The context suggests that the NRA will fight for 2A rights only where it is politically expedient (read: where they have an excellent chance of winning). I strongly disagree. I want the NRA to be proactive and fight (spend) harder in the states where 2A rights are challenged the most. Believe me, I'm thrilled that the NRA is working to keep laws reasonable in Florida and Texas, but we need their resources here in MA now. Yes, I know GOAL is an adjunct of the NRA but I'd rather see the big dog here doing whatever possible to help us out, political reality be damned.

Chris

They are the NATIONAL rifle association. I agree 100% with your sentiments. If the NRA wont tend to the wound that is most in need of treatment because it's to hard to treat, what good will they be when the entire country is in need of triage? I wonder about the NRA. Have they lost there way? I get the feeling that the almighty dollar (or somthing more sinister) has dictated the agenda.[sad2]

I have also read that GOAL is the "local chapter" of the NRA.

This may be info that may need to be corrected in the next paper.

How about GOA?

They are the self proclaimed "only no-compromise" lobby in DC.

What can the NRA do here when the people keep electing moonbats?

Fight the good fight. I wouldn't suggest any one or any group rollover because of an unfavorable political climate. I mean, they do have the constitution on their side [thinking]

BTW, I read that in this month's AR too and just kinda shook my head.

Everyone, spend your money wisely and invest in your future; get a GOAL membership. If you don't have one already. And, if you do just make sure those that you know that don't have one, get one.

Last edited:
I certainly don’t have enough information regarding the money taken in VS money spent, minus over head to offer an opinion as to whether the NRA or Goal are doing a good and fair job. But I do wonder what the laws in this state would be like without both organizations. Would any one have the financial data relevant to Massachusetts?

I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing all of you at the GOAL Cup (fund raiser) this Sunday.

Respectfully,

jkelly

My favorite thing to do is this. I used to get their "survey" calls constantly. These are essentially a number of calls with the "do you think...", "how do you feel about.." culminating in "how much can you send now?".
I would always say things to the effect like, Great, you defeated the candidate in Tenn. What have you done in Mass? That is always a show stopper for them.
They will generally reply that they are a "National" organization focusing on national issues.. I would respond to that by asking what they are doing about repealing the GCA/NFA of '34 and '68..
They seem to have taken me off their call lists..

I support the NRA only for what they do at the federal level but I am Goal 100% for MA. About the only thing they do for us in MA is to warn the rest of the country they could be just like us or CA, NJ, Chicago .... If I thought getting out of the NRA and going with Goal alone would not splinter an already somewhat divided or appathetic group, I would throw all my support behind Goal alone.

Still, as was said, the issue of moon bats being elected throws a wall up on the critical path to second amendment rights.

Last edited:
The context suggests that the NRA will fight for 2A rights only where it is politically expedient (read: where they have an excellent chance of winning).

The harsh truth is, when you have numerous battles to fight, you have to choose those which you think will have the best chance of winning and making other battles that much easier to fight.

The harsh truth is, when you have numerous battles to fight, you have to choose those which you think will have the best chance of winning and making other battles that much easier to fight.

And the NRA gives plenty of grants to MA clubs for education and improvements, so to say they do nothing is ludicrous. No, they don't do a lot of lobbying. They have only so much $$, so it has to go where they're likely to get a return on it.

Last edited:
It's political triage. When you have limited resources you apply them where they're most likely to have a positive affect. Most Mass gun owners have put up with a whole lot of stuff from Bartley-Fox to today with little to no change in their voting pattern.

I realize that there are a lot of you guys working hard to change things, but the fact of the matter is, the last 30 years of bad gun laws have been put in place by politicians supported by a whole lot of ignorant or apathetic gun owners.

Lets not forget...

Had GOAL not been formed in the '70's, the handgun ban would likely have passed and things would have been a LOT worse.

I can't tell you the number of people who pay their $35 and then complain that nothing changes. Be GLAD that things don't change. With the political climate here the most likely changes would be BAD. The fact that good legislation does pass from time to time is amazing.

But its all a numbers game. If GOAL had the numbers, they would have a lot more clout. Imagine Jim going in being able to say "I represent 100,000 voters."

As it is, Jim has done an amazing job. There is no other lobbyist that has as much respect. Jim has always stuck to the truth and has become a resource for just about everything that is related to sportsmen's issues.

It's almost a good thing that the NRA stays out of MA. You can be sure that the media would demonize any NRA action because it's that "big gun crazy group in Virginia". But to do the same to GOAL, they have to basically insult their own neighbors.

Thanks to those on this board for their help in boosting the GOAL membership.

Lets not forget...

Had GOAL not been formed in the '70's, the handgun ban would likely have passed and things would have been a LOT worse.

I can't tell you the number of people who pay their $35 and then complain that nothing changes. Be GLAD that things don't change. With the political climate here the most likely changes would be BAD. The fact that good legislation does pass from time to time is amazing.

But its all a numbers game. If GOAL had the numbers, they would have a lot more clout. Imagine Jim going in being able to say "I represent 100,000 voters."

As it is, Jim has done an amazing job. There is no other lobbyist that has as much respect. Jim has always stuck to the truth and has become a resource for just about everything that is related to sportsmen's issues.

It's almost a good thing that the NRA stays out of MA. You can be sure that the media would demonize any NRA action because it's that "big gun crazy group in Virginia". But to do the same to GOAL, they have to basically insult their own neighbors.

Thanks to those on this board for their help in boosting the GOAL membership.

+1. All excellent points. But the one in bold makes me smile. That would be a nice little bit of constituent based leverage.

Generally along with joining any club or org comes the choice of involvement...anywhere from paying the dues to running the "show".

It is always easier to point a finger than lift it.

I suspect they apportion thier funds according to membership levels. Given there are only ~12,000 GOAL members in MA it is probably fair to guess there are no more than ~24,000 NRA members in MA - can't find a real number.

I can't find solid numbers, but from the references I've found there are 3-4Million NRA members total. That means we represent 0.6-0.8% of membership and earnings. No wonder they don't expend effort here.

If you have a nice lawn with a little crabgrass and a few other assorted weeds, do you ignore the crabgrass and weeds while continuing to fertilize the rest of the lawn?

No, you deal with the problem areas first.

Persistent problem areas require persistent action.

If the "lawn care realities" made it difficult to control the weeds, would you reduce your efforts or redouble your efforts?

Chris

That's why I dutifully give the NRA their base membership to spend as they see fit. On the other hand, I'm far more likely to want to participate and donate more than annually to GOAL simply because I feel more represented by them and while I'm reasonably sure I could get Jim on the line if it was necessary, I don't expect the NRA is interested in hearing anything more out of the likes of me.

Last edited:
If you have a nice lawn with a little crabgrass and a few other assorted weeds...---Executive
Not really a good analogy.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Yeah, it's really not a good analogy, MA is more like the grass that has been eaten by grubs, then left unwatered in a massive drought.

I'm an NRA member and will be joining GOAL as soon as I can. Now that Heller is decided I feel the NRA should step in and help with the LTC situation here, if they don't I'll be certainly letting them know my feelings on my next questionairre.

Back
Top Bottom