American Community Survey

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got it in the mail from the Department of Commerce. It seems pretty extensive unlike the other census that comes around every 10 years. A lot of questions about finances.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I received one of those a couple years back. It was a community survey. It asked questions about income. Commute time to work. Utility expenses. From what I remember it was pretty involved. I kept brushing it aside after repeated attempts. I looked into it and it was legit. (I think) If not someone has A whole lot of personal information about my family and I.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to one time. Then I got to the question asking how far I drive to work each day. There wasn't a space big enough to write that it depended on which of my 4 PT jobs I was working. So i put it asideuntil it got lost in a pile of unimportant things and got thrown away.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I would never answer the Community Survey.

It's bad enough I had to give my name and birthday that I completed online.

Basically, that is all they are getting. ******

The government already knows my birthday, so it's not a big secret.

****** MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE NEVER FILLED ANYTHING OUT!!!

I'm sure the illegals are not going to let the Trump Administration know their actual names, birthdays, and addresses.

Darn, I feel stupid now.

I should have ignored that mailing but I don't want some crackerjack knocking on my door all Summer long.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I was visited multiple times and still didn't answer very much but the most basic questions. Just wanted to make the visits stop at that point.
Tell them you’ve told them everything you’re going to tell them. Then tell them that they are on private property and they need to leave.

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tell them you’ve told them everything you’re going to tell them. Then tell them that they are on private property and they need to leave.
Yeah, that's basically what I did. He was not surprised at my lack of cooperation. He profiled me based on my Gadsden flag in the driveway. He was a nice enough guy that appeared to be doing followups for extra cash in his retirement.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Their site gives a rationalization/justification of why they ask each question. Such as:

Why We Ask About... Commuting

Questions as they appear on the form
We ask five questions about a person's journey to work to create a profile of a community's commuting patterns.

Results from these questions
We compile the results from these questions to provide communities with important statistics to help in their transportation and infrastructure planning. You can see some of these published statistics here for the nation, states, and your community.

United States
Average Commute Time

26.4 minutes

Source: Latest ACS 5-Year Estimates
Data Profiles/Economic Characteristics

Workers Who Used Public Transportation
5.1 percent

Workers Who Worked at Home
4.7 percent

(↑ change state using menu above ↑)[/paste:font]
County
City/Town

How these statistics are used to help your community
Transportation Planning
Local, state, and federal transportation agencies use these statistics to plan programs and services for disabled populations, bicycle commuters, carpools and ride shares. These agencies conduct long-range planning for transportation that rely on travel demand forecasting models. The federal Department of Transportation (DOT) need these statistics to ensure compliance with various regulations, to understand current uses, and forecast future transportation needs throughout the nation.

People at Work
Understanding commuting patterns and where people work also helps with:

• Employment planning.
  • Protection against employment discrimination.
  • Defining banking and housing markets.
  • Planning emergency response, etc.
Useful for businesses:

• A coffee shop might want to be located where people work.
  • A movie theater might want to be located where people live.
Understanding How Commuting Affects Us
Researchers use these estimates to study the effects of long commutes on health (obesity, hypertension, etc.), and on the environment (emissions, contaminants, etc.).

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Their site gives a rationalization/justification of why they ask each question. Such as:

Why We Ask About... Commuting

Questions as they appear on the form
We ask five questions about a person's journey to work to create a profile of a community's commuting patterns.

Results from these questions
We compile the results from these questions to provide communities with important statistics to help in their transportation and infrastructure planning. You can see some of these published statistics here for the nation, states, and your community.

United States
Average Commute Time

26.4 minutes

Workers Who Used Public Transportation
5.1 percent

Workers Who Worked at Home
4.7 percent

(↑ change state using menu above ↑)[/paste:font]
County
City/Town

How these statistics are used to help your community
Transportation Planning
Local, state, and federal transportation agencies use these statistics to plan programs and services for disabled populations, bicycle commuters, carpools and ride shares. These agencies conduct long-range planning for transportation that rely on travel demand forecasting models. The federal Department of Transportation (DOT) need these statistics to ensure compliance with various regulations, to understand current uses, and forecast future transportation needs throughout the nation.

People at Work
Understanding commuting patterns and where people work also helps with:

• Employment planning.
  • Protection against employment discrimination.
  • Defining banking and housing markets.
  • Planning emergency response, etc.
Useful for businesses:

• A coffee shop might want to be located where people work.
  • A movie theater might want to be located where people live.
Understanding How Commuting Affects Us
Researchers use these estimates to study the effects of long commutes on health (obesity, hypertension, etc.), and on the environment (emissions, contaminants, etc.).
1. Lies. No one cares about transportation. Look at MA. Look at all of Florida, you might as well die if you lose your license there.

2. Employment planning, protecting people???? ... how the f*** will the state protect my job because I decided to take a job far away?

3. BS. Coffee shops and businesses already know what is around. Not only they can check on a map, they can also stand there during the week and see the amount of people walking by. There are also hundreds of companies that revolve around helping businesses understand which locations are good. Maybe some of that data comes from these community questionnaires, but I doubt it.

The reason they want to know all this junk, is because their databases are so mismanaged, it is easier to ask you for the info than compiling it.

That is my theory.

Nothing you ever give the government will be used in your favor..

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don’t give a big stinking pile of poo how they try to justify their invasive questions. Two people live at our address. That is all they need to know for the constitutional purpose of the census.
I agree. I was showing that they DO rationalize them. Some are a doozie. That whole link is enough to make you laugh or gag. [cheers]

The question about having to fill it out all they do is list the penalties. No reason 'why'.

Top Questions About the Survey
13 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 13 - CENSUS
CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AND PENALTIES
SUBCHAPTER II - OTHER PERSONS
Sec. 221 - Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
From the U.S. Government Publishing Office,

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nothing you ever give the government will be used in your favor..
Absolutely

Don’t forget - 2020 is another census year

Best thing I’ve found to tell a census worker

“Did you know that census data was used to identify, locate and round up Americans of Japanese descent in 1942?”

As they don’t teach history anymore - it’s a shock.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpk
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
We got that many years ago and only answered the # of people in the house. We got several phone calls where they tried to intimidate us into answering, saying there would be some "penalty" (don't remember if they said what it would be), told them nope, go away, and nothing ever came of it. If we get it again, they will get the same response!

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
We got that many years ago and only answered the # of people in the house. We got several phone calls where they tried to intimidate us into answering, saying there would be some "penalty" (don't remember if they said what it would be), told them nope, go away, and nothing ever came of it. If we get it again, they will get the same response!
Theoretically you can get fined, but that would require the US Attorney to prosecute you. I suspect that the US Attorney has better things to do.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Theoretically you can get fined, but that would require the US Attorney to prosecute you. I suspect that the US Attorney has better things to do.
Thanks for the info, I would certainly hope that a US Attorney would have more important things to do!

Top Bottom