America Stress-Bought All the Baby Chickens

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
We are looking into expanding our current flock and as of last week I put a lock on the coup. I get on average 2-3 decent sized eggs daily from my one year old chickens and I am not giving that up.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I miss my TN next door neighbors with their flock of Rhode Island Reds. They brought eggs as a peace offering for dealing with a rooster next door, but I really didn't mind and every now and then would chip in for feed. There's nothing like fresh eggs from healthy, properly fed chickens.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There wouldn't be a shortage if they didn't routinely kill half the chicks:

What would you do with all the roosters? I know from the cute aspect they are fun. But they serve no purpose for egg laying except fertilizing the hens for more hatching eggs. And people complain if they get a blood spot in they’re egg. Other wise they just eat food. Or you can kill it later for the meat. Either way it dies.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What will all those people quoted that now have "too much free time" do with the chickens when they go back to work?
Well luckily chickens are not high maintenance pets. As long as they have food and water for the day. They are not needy for people like dogs and cats. But you need to make sure they have and adequate place to live.

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
We’ve had chickens for about 5 years. It was the wife’s idea, just after we bought our house. I would never have even thought to get chickens. I’m glad we have them though. We’ve gone through several different generations at this point. We still have one of the original Buff Orpingtons!

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I miss my TN next door neighbors with their flock of Rhode Island Reds. They brought eggs as a peace offering for dealing with a rooster next door, but I really didn't mind and every now and then would chip in for feed. There's nothing like fresh eggs from healthy, properly fed chickens.
On a side note, just heard that my former neighbor head of household has some symptoms and tested positive. Must be in his late 60's by now, so hopefully he's doing OK.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We got one of those little tractor supply hobby type chicken coops. Still haven't put a chicken in there. I don't like to half ass things, so I just haven't thrown them in there to see how they fare. Its secure, I've got food and water feeders/dispensers and such, just don't know what I'm doing so haven't made a move on it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My son and I are currently building a Catawba coop to fend off the boredom of self quarantining. Who knows when we finish we may get some chicks and then again, maybe we just sell it and build another one. I am sure some of those impulse baby chick buyers will be looking for a decent coop.

swampy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What would you do with all the roosters? I know from the cute aspect they are fun. But they serve no purpose for egg laying except fertilizing the hens for more hatching eggs. And people complain if they get a blood spot in they’re egg. Other wise they just eat food. Or you can kill it later for the meat. Either way it dies.
It is nice hearing the 2 roosters crowing at 5am and throughout the day. I enjoy it and I hate my neighborhood so there is more to it than being bug free. The hens are boring. The roosters are a lot of fun.

Top Bottom