1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Amazon Prime question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Asaltweapon, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

In seeing a suspect charge on my statement from AP led me to inquiring what was it for as I was on vacation and the charge was put on my company CC that I know I wasn't using while away.
    Anyway the annual fee is now 119.00 and we all know that shipping charges do add up. We watch a few free movies thru AP but are not even close to using it on a weekly basis.
    At 119 that breaks down to just over 2 bucks a week for free shipping in 2-3 days. Add to this the fact that you still gotta check them for the lowest price.

Am I skinflinting this detail also knowing that they are anti 2A? What are you guys doing with AP? Damn its easy clicking the mouse a few times then getting the Big Brown truck in a few days versus driving a 13MPG truck around.

2. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Honestly, I never had Prime. And I use Amazon for some purchases. But most of the time it's free shipping anyway. I usually have no need for 2 day shipping, and the free shipping gets here quick enough. I've thought about signing up a few times, but the cost has just never seemed worth it to me.

Coyote33 and PaulR like this.
  3. HarryPottar

HarryPottar NES Member

To me it's worth it, you get prime video, tv shows movies, music, free shipping on orders. It's not a bad deal for what you get.

SKumar, ISOTOX, jpm and 3 others like this.
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I get same day or next day delivery on lots of things, for a cheaper price than at most stores, plus saving me fuel, and 35 minutes round trip to the store as well.

Definitely worth it to me

wegman and Nhusa like this.
  5. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

It’s worth it to me.

I don’t watch regular TV any more and I rarely find shows to watch on Netflix these days. I do watch a lot on Amazon Prime.

jek and buckfarack like this.
  6. MassPete

MassPete NES Member

I was with Amazon from the beginning. Left them a few months ago. They could not fix a simple problem for me. Very happy I left. My wife was ordering all kinds of things after a few glasses of wine. I'm saving a fortune.

7. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

I am constantly in need of odd items that none of my local hardware stores carry. I've gotten used to planning ahead and ordering anything possible from Amazon. Most weekdays I have at least one package coming on. Auto parts, snowmobile parts, ATV parts, electronic parts, hell I ordered a set of tires for my RZR one time. If you can plan ahead and move purchases to Amazon its a very good deal.

I have a workplace with a loading dock and everyone knows most Amazon packages are mine.

Their streaming video service is decent and I do find some decent things on there from time to time.

M1911 likes this.
  8. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I made the mistake of using another website for an item that was on Amazon.

I had to pay for shipping.
    Shipping took 5 days.
    I had to return it ... I had to print out a form, fill it out, pay to mail it back, pay for insurance ...

No f***ing way.

And this wasnt a tiny mom and pop shop.

From now on, if it's on Amazon, I order from there. You dont like it? ... throw it in a box and mail it back. So easy. (With Prime).

I buy pants, order 3 pairs in 3 sizes. I keep the one I like and return the other two.

I actually hate Amazon and would rather support several independent people (although sellers are independent), but Amazon just makes it so damn easy.

‐----------

Their streaming is complete junk. For such a company to have streaming that is so bad is unacceptable. Even their app s*cks. WTF does "watch next" mean? ... you click on a movie you already saw, what else is there to watch?

Their movie selection is horrible.

I have said it before, Prime video is probably run and developed by junkies living inna trash container.

buckfarack and tuna like this.
  9. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

x2
    As I get older, I learn I can wait. Then I forget, and it comes in and I'm like "oh what's this?? a surprise!"

timbo, Prepper and mothybee like this.
  10. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

I have Prime and don't worry excessively about their 2A position because they're a conduit for some gun accessories + gun literature and Comm2A is on AmazonSmile.

11. jek

jek NES Life Member NES Member

Free upload of photos as well as other perks mentioned.

12. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

So how do most people without a smart TV watch Amazon Prime on their TV. I have Fios, so I can get Netflix directly on channel 838, I don't think Fios has a way to watch Prime. I don't have a smart TV, so I can't download and app. So how to others deal with this? Have to buy a Firestick? Sign up for another service like Roku or something? Seem like another reason for someone like me not to need Prime if it's a hassle to get it on my TV.

13. Greg

Greg

Am I in before the "Love me some Amazon" lovefest ?

14. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Not even. Drop that crap off at a UPS Store unpackaged show them return barcode and be credited within hours...

15. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Comcast has it on their boxes, but if you don't have wireless connectivity to a TV as a second screen for a laptop, there is always a HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV

Mrs Appraiser has AP, I get a lot of use out of it..... we needed stuff for the dogs here in FL, Amazon had it here in a day.

I hardly use EBay anymore.... Amazon Prime was worth the $$$ just to watch the "Top Gear" clone "The Grand Tour"

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  16. Knicks

Knicks NES Member

Ive also had Amazon tell me to keep it and refund the money right away. In one case, my package got lost and they sent a replacment right away. Both the lost and replacement showed up the same day and Amazon told me to keep both. The item was $105.

CoastieRon likes this.
  17. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

We use prime for household stuff instead of going to Sam’s Costco, etc. Bulk TP, paper towels, hand soap, etc. without all the BS of the warehouse stores. Factor in all the other stuff we buy, and music and movies, it’s totally worth it for us.

18. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Thru my DVD player works fine in MA and I have a dedicated mini computer in Maine. It's about 6 " square and maybe 1.5 tall.

19. snax

snax NES Member

Sounds like a wife problem not an Amazon problem.[rofl2]

Kevin_NH likes this.
  20. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

i don’t watch it on a TV. I’ve got a 32” monitor in my home office. So I fire up my computer, point my browser to Amazon Prime Video, then put my feet up and watch.

I don’t even own a TV.

21. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

I got a fire stick on one of there weekly deals for under $20 glad I did, just keep looking.

22. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Breaking the expense down per a weekly amount isn't necessarily the best way to look at it, as shipping expense varies per whatever is ordered. There are always a few items I order every year that would alone add up to the Prime membership fee if I were to factor 2 day air shipping them on my own dime. That's most often due to size and/or weight. I justify Prime in knowing that I would have spent that much anyway on just a couple orders, and the rest is just gravy for free shipping.

Beyond that, people often overlook all the free content. Not just movies and music, but e-books, e-magazines, audio books, podcast, etc. You can also utilize Wholefood delivery service with Prime.

23. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

PS4

24. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

But "would" you have spent the money on 2 day air shipping for those items if it was your money to spend? That is my point, if there is something I need in 2 days, I'm most likely not ordering it online. I would only consider it a savings if I knew I was going to need to pay for that 2 day shipping.

Len-2A Training likes this.
  25. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

May not, but what's ground shipping on a 100+lb oversize item? $30? $40? Do that a few times a year and you're still making up for it.

26. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Another great thing, add things to your wish list, if they are things you just want, but can wait. Monitor it occasionally and watch the prices. Sometimes things will drop significantly.

27. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

I agree, I don't order much for over sized items though. Most everything I order from Amazon has free shipping anyway, although it's more like 4-5 days to get it. If I have something I want, I put it in my cart and wait until I have enough for free shipping before I order. I have something in my cart now, doesn't reach the amount for free shipping yet, but I'm in no rush for it, so not going to pay for shipping on this item.

28. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I'm my worst enemy on prime. I will research the shit out of stuff, then do cost analysis, then have a couple cocktails.

And 5 boxes show up that week

I saved over a grand buying 80% of my truck audio on there over having it locally installed.

I don't mind buying "Amazon renewed" items.

I use the shit out of prime video via my phone, smart TV's, PS4, etc. We don't use cable programming anymore (and haven't for years).

Rented all of my books for my MBA through their rental program, as well as purchased all other materials for said degree, and was able to download the receipts and be re-embursed as well as write off for taxes.

95% of my Christmas shopping is done via prime using the link for my BS troop.

Return policy is a no brainier, though for some items you get the return LESS shipping.

29. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

You're not selecting the right reason for the return then! Theres always a reason to select that gives you a full refund, provided you buy a prime listed item.

CoastieRon likes this.
  30. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Damn it! Lol