1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Amazon Prime Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by richc, Jul 15, 2019.

1. richc

richc NES Member

Based upon conversations I've had with a few friends I'm going to predict Amazon does not sell as much this year as last. Lots of competition. Not hearing the "buzz" I heard in previous years.

I think Amazon Prime Days has jumped the shark...

[​IMG]

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

There was never a shark to jump. They had a few good deals and then their own stuff on sale since day 1 of Prime Day. It's like African American Friday. If you can find that great deal - boom, you win. The rest gets a bit more saley prices and that's it. It's as much about exposure as sales.

Keep in mind that Amazon has gross sales of $230B. Net income last year was $12B. (Which was a BIG leap.) That's a margin of about 5%. That means they can't discount things overall by more than 5% and still make money. (It also means there are entire lines of items they likely sell for a loss - as some lines have fairly large profit margins.)

They remind me a lot of Costco. Costco's net income is worked VERY hard to be #members*membershipfee. They want the entire company to break even EXCEPT for membership fees. An interesting model.

richc likes this.
  3. new guy

new guy NES Member

4. richc

richc NES Member

I'll bet Amazon twists the arms of their vendors a lot to get better pricing. The more items at great pricing brings more eyeballs to their site.

So I doubt all the "savings" consumers see is out of Amazon's pocket. In fact I'll bet very little of it is, except for all the promotion/PR they do around Prime Day. Lower % margin are likely offset by much higher than normal volumes. How many people buy crap they don't need once they get caught up in the Prime Day hype.

I LOVE COSTCO!!!

:)

5. BarnB

BarnB NES Member

Adobe CC full pkg for a year. $360. Reg price $640.

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Noco GB40 jump pack is like 64 bucks

7. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Yet another reason why I eventually need to get out of the City. I have 2 Whole Foods less than a mile from my house and the nearest MB is the next town over. I end up spending a ton on the convenience factor. I also hate how I can't buy any regular detergents, soaps, chemicals, plastic wrap, paper products, etc. Ever try to use eco-friendly dishwasher detergent? About 3 washes later you only have to scrape the dishes with a spatula just once to get them clean.

8. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Ok so you were right! Just the wrong day. Now the regular price is $44 and the 20% off is $36. How effed is that?

1AEB1A72-3A31-4C14-971B-3B68F73062A9.png

ReluctantDecoy likes this.
  9. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Of-freaking-course it is now....because I pulled the trigger yesterday on it using that WF credit. I could have got it for $26 dollars!

slap shot likes this.
  10. HecklerKoch

HecklerKoch NES Member

[​IMG]

Cur, citoriguy and ReluctantDecoy like this.
  11. Lucas McCain

Lucas McCain

Which one did you get? I have the 218+ in my cart right now.

12. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

ds218J. It already arrived.

here is a page of approved hard drives that go into it, just type in the right synology model number

Compatibility List | Synology Inc.

i chose a WD red NAS drive

13. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Points for appropriate use of Simpsons material.

14. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

I am not impressed with the Prime Day deals.

15. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

there MIGHT be some deals out there, but they are incredibly hard to find. Who designed the amazon website, high school students? I type in a search for something....why are not all the prime deals showing up for that one thing....i have to sort thru thousands of crap products not on sale

GaryO, LittleCalm and Prepper like this.
  16. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

17. richc

richc NES Member

Apparently Amazon crashed. EBay immediately came out with a "Crash Sale"!

18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

19. Greg

Greg

Anything really good is going to be MSRP or MAP. If you see a good deal on a top name brand product it is for sale everywhere at that price.

Prime Day is a great example of social engineering by a corporation.

Sell a bunch of stuff at a discount and people will buy it even if they never knew they wanted it..because "it's on sale !"

Amazon can sell a $1.00 bill for $1.10 because they advertise the normal price as $1.50 and discount it 25 % and lemmings think they are getting a deal. Amazon is trying to turn every day into Black Friday,and people eat it up lol

LittleCalm likes this.
  20. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Somebody watches a lot of "The Company Man" series on YouTube.

21. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That's the point. If all teh good deals were in front, like a Walmart circa 1998 Black Friday, 6am, only a select few people would get those things, they'd race to the check-out and it'd all be over.

The first Prime Day was somewhat like that. At about 3am, Amazon put out some amazing deals. Then nothing the rest of the day - despite promising people they would. Nothing compared to that 3am deal.

So now they pull the 8pm-on-Thanksgiving-Night Walmart deal. Multiple deals. All over the store. Gotta go running to them. Good luck. What does that do? It forces you to look at a whole bunch of merchandise that you might buy. It spreads the deals out across a bigger # of people. It leads to happier buyers and more profits for Amazon/Walmart/whatever.

They make it hard to find the deals because they don't want you to snap em all up. You have to scroll through 32 screens of junk just to get to the one deal you might want.

Oh, and notice I said it leads to happier BUYERS not shoppers. Shoppers who don't buy during Prime day - are NOT happy. And Amazon (and Walmart and whomever) doesn't really care. The negative blow-back on them is incredibly temporary. And the added good feelings by those that got even one deal go very very very far.

I actually have no idea what you are talking about. Is this a spoof, a comedy, an educational program???? I do this whole financial analysis thing for a living PLUS I consider myself a behavioral economist. Even before I knew what a BE was.

23. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Check out "The Company Man" on YouTube. It's probably a lot of what you already know, but maybe not. All presented in an interesting way.