Amazing day at the range today - had to share

One of the best things about joining a private shooting club is the people you meet there. Today I went up to the range around 2:30 unable to find a friend who could join me. I was determined to get out there today because it was just so nice out.

I got up there and began with my AR, shooting at both 50 and 100 yards. The place was pretty empty. Just me and an elderly man. I put about 150 rounds downrange, shooting good groups at 50 yards that were opening up a bit too much at 100 yards. (I shoot iron sights)

About half way through 2 guys showed up with a .308, which they began to shoot at 200 yards. We chatted a bit while walking to check targets, but not all that much.

After I finished with my AR, I moved over to the pistol range and started to shoot the paper targets I brought. The two guys came over and it turned out one of them was a member of the steel club at our range which means he has keys to the shed that has all the steel targets. I haven’t been able to connect with the guy who I would get the key from ($10 per year for access. Can do!) so I love it when I run into others who have them.

I had my two 9mm glocks and they had a S&W .45, a Ruger 9mm (I think), and a double action revolver. We spent quite a while shooting the steel and trying out each other’s handguns. I went through about 200 rounds on 9mm, maybe a little more.

When finished, one guy (Steve) asked if I wanted to shoot his shotgun. I have never shot a shotgun so I couldn't refuse. We shot a few slugs on the rifle range then moved over to the trap range. Steve had a tosser (whatever the thing is called that tosses the discs). His shotgun had an 18" barrel, held 5 shots, and looked like it was made for self defense. I wasn't aware you could use such a weapon successfully with trap and skeet. I was so wrong... Not the first time

I had so much fun shooting trap. Wow, I need a shotgun now. My first 5 shots, I was trying to use the sights too much and didn't hit a thing. They then took the time to teach me that it's more about line of sight and not using the actual sight posts.... With my second 5 shots I had 2 or 3 hits and my third 5 shots I had 3 solid hits (after missing the first 2 shots).

I need to shoot more trap, it was just so much fun. I'm hooked. They were darn good at it, nearly 5 for 5 every time.

The bottom line is that these guys were two people who I have never met, we ended up spending a few hours together like we'd known each other for quite some time.

If these guys are on this forum, a big shout out to Steve and Ryan. Thanks guys.
By the way, if anyone is looking for a fantastic club in Western MA, PM me. I love mine.

I normally don't share stories like this, but today was just too much fun. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

1210350055_A6UvG-L.jpg

[wink]

I got try out a savage Model 10 yesterday as well as something chambered in .300wm. I've gotta say, I really want a model 10 now... maybe someday.

I wish I got to try out as many cars as I do guns.

Mike

Sounds like you've drunk the "orange kool-aid"! [laugh]

Check out Holliston Firearms in the Dealers section - Mark has a Traveling Browning Roadshow where he brings Browning shotguns to different clubs, so people can test drive different guns. (The 18" barrel is most likely not "ideal" for trap! Though I've seen some very good scores posted with short shotties [laugh] )

You're more than welcome to come to Southborough Rod & Gun Club www.srgclub.com on a Sunday, or a Thursday night May-Sept, and meet some more characters! [wink]

BTW, the thrower is referred to as a "trap" regardless of whether you're shooting Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, or informally.

great story. Makes up for all the stories of the yahoos we meet at the range x 10 [grin] THIS is one of the reason we shoot, lol.

Back
Top Bottom