• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amateur Radio exams

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
Is anyone here a VE? I'm going to have a group of high school students who will need to sit for the test in late March.

Hi, Too bad they won't be ready Feb 12th there is a session in Marlborough at the Flea market. If you are going to have a test session it needs to be announced and you need 3 VEs. You would also need to have the paperwork....a VE can get this with enough notice. If the plan is to only go for the tech license the VEs need to be General level. If they may test higher the VEs need to be Extra class.
The cost for testing through ARRL is $15, is a person passes they can take the next level free. (Some people have passed all 3 tests and gone from nothing to Extra in one sitting)
If they fail and want to retake another version (if available) they must pay another $15.

The ARRL does post the test sessions on line. Special arrangements can be made depending on circumstances.

I usually attend the test sessions in Billerica Public Library on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7pm.
There are sessions just about every day in a month in various areas.

Yes, I took my Extra exam in Marlborough last year. There may be a few kids going for general and possibly an extra. I just thought it would be perfect for the class if we could finish up with the test on the last day. I may end up taking them to a session the following week. Which would be the 28th of March or so.
Keep the ideas coming. I would love to find a way.

Kirk, you can make this work if you can get 3 VE's to agree to hold a test session at the date and location you desire. It just has to be posted a few weeks ahead of time.

Kirk, you can make this work if you can get 3 VE's to agree to hold a test session at the date and location you desire. It just has to be posted a few weeks ahead of time.

That would be awesome. Just have to find someone willing to do it.

Why don't you get your VE? It is an open book test. It takes just a few weeks to get it from ARRL after submitting your answers. Then you would only need 2 more extra VEs. All the info should be available at ARRL website.

Can you give a bit more detail about this class? Date and times you are holding it and such?

The test can be announced on a repeater before you hold it,...It doesn't need to be a formal notice.
Can be done even 1/2 hour before as long as it is announced somehow.

If you want other people to know and show up you can place a formal announcement.

Why don't you get your VE? It is an open book test. It takes just a few weeks to get it from ARRL after submitting your answers. Then you would only need 2 more extra VEs. All the info should be available at ARRL website.L

Can you give a bit more detail about this class? Date and times you are holding it and such?

The test can be announced on a repeater before you hold it,...It doesn't need to be a formal notice.
Can be done even 1/2 hour before as long as it is announced somehow.

If you want other people to know and show up you can place a formal announcement.

I was looking at the VE material. I'm sure I could do that. I would need at least one VE with some solid experience and the smarts to order then testing materials.

ETA. The ideal date is March 25th. The time of day can be flexible though I'll know better in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
That's over 45 min from where most of the Gloucester VEs live, but they are a pretty dedicated crowd. Also, many are retired so Friday 3/25 might work. Roughly how many will be taking the test?

I can probably get the students to Gloucester. I'm hoping there will be 10 kids. I'll know how many have enrolled in a few weeks.

I'm a VE, but haven't been active in a while (although my VE credentials are still good).

I woudn't want to coordinate such a session (as it's been too long for me since I've done it), but if you end up being short a VE, I'll be glad to help. Let me know if you need a 3rd as you get closer.

I'm a VE, but haven't been active in a while (although my VE credentials are still good).

I woudn't want to coordinate such a session (as it's been too long for me since I've done it), but if you end up being short a VE, I'll be glad to help. Let me know if you need a 3rd as you get closer.

That would be fantastic!

I just applied for my VE credentials, so will offer to help, BUT strongly you talk to a local club who could administer as a special session, as they will have all the exam forms etc as a "stocking" club. Getting stuff mailed from ARRL for a special session sounds like a lot of work. I'm sure if you reach out to clubs like MMRA, Billerica, Concord etc you will find a VE team willing to administer to a group of high schoolers.

-Tim
KB1UYB

Ditto on the Norwood club - they administered my Tech & General exam, and were a very friendly, helpful bunch, including the good natured heckling I received while taking the tests :)

I ran into a couple of dead ends on this so I'm still looking for someone who can administer the tests to a group of high schoolers. If there's anyone who has any thoughts at this late date I would greatly appreciate it. It looks like I have a couple of VE's that may be able to help. We just need a VE who has the test materials and who has process fresh in their head.

There are two ways to handle this.

1) Put together your own VE session with the people that have volunteered.

or

2) Just march the kids to a local VE session that is already scheduled. Perhaps this is the easiest thing to do.

Well plan 2 is definitely the easiest. The only glitch is that the earliest test date within a reasonable driving distance is 3 weeks from the end of the course. I was hoping to have them fired up and licensed by the end of the course. Plan 1 would work but we seem to be lacking the one person who has the materials.

Contact some Radio Clubs...you never know...but I would bet that they would assist. I know that a few of the guys at the Norwood Club are always doing this..so I would bet that someone there would be ready to go if you asked them.

Sorry that I didn't call you back yesterday...I fell asleep on the couch and didn't hear you call.

How many people will be taking the test? Will it only be the Tech test? I can possibly get the materials for exams as I know someone who is stocked. Where would the test be....on and on....PM me

I work with Billerica Club (BARS) we do 1 session a month and Near-fest .

I was told by W1GFF that the proper thing to do would be to contact the local club in the area (MMRA) if they couldn't do it ask if they mind getting some other VEs in.

I can possibly get another VE and supplies.... Posting needs to happen.... Need to know if walk-ins are welcome or not and other stuff.........

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts for local field trips for an Amateur Radio Class? If I had more time I might take them to CT to visit the ARRL headquarters but I only have them for 3 hours each day.

If you knew anyone that had a very nice shack, and they weren't too much of a geek, it could leave a lasting impression.

Someone that does HF, VHF, maybe some digital modes, CW (of course), EME would be too cool.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that will fit this bill and not so geeky as to scare them away! LOL

Do you want me to see if we can put together a tour of the shack at Sturdy Hospital? We can get some of the guys to work it, and maybe let the kids get on the air and talk to someone?

sounds like a good plan.

Back
Top Bottom