Am I wrong?

Plus the rent or mortgage, labor for showing it to countless tire-kickers, insurance while it's in their
possession. I agree, it only takes a couple minutes to do the paperwork, but the overhead adds up. But still, on a failed consignment, there are risks on both sides. No sales means no commission, transfer back should be free.

Ouch!

Consignments are nothing but gravy, all profit for the dealer.

More than likely the consignment agreement states x number of days, if you remove it early you pay the transfer fee. What does the agreement say?

wish it was that easy. some guns languish forever even with significant price drops. you have to have something that's marketable. i don't know the op's situation, maybe it was up here. i'm thinking there was paperwork involved when he brought it in. if not and it was me, i'd ask for some. most of that paperwork explains fees. could be a clause that said if you remove a gun from consignment before a certain amount of time you get charged a transfer fee.

You're right. It seems like most things that don't sell quickly here or on Armslist are overpriced or just not desirable. I would think most items that fit that criteria die a slow death in the consignment case, too. There may have been a clause. I would still be hesitant to do business there again considering the circumstances.

Why even bother putting anything on consignment? Sell it here and keep more money in your pocket. I would consider it a lesson learned and probably do business elsewhere in the future.
Sometimes it’s better to get the exposure on the gun if you want it sold quick. There’s a larger audience in some shops than on here.

I'm not trying to tell someone else how to run their business. I understand every shop has their own overhead and business model to consider. However, charging a customer for the return transfer after you've already made a considerable amount of money from them, just doesn't seem like a good business practice.

For me, if it's a good customer and we've done other business together, then there is no way I'd charge for the return transfer. If it's a one off and we've never done any business together, then I think $25 is reasonable to cover the time spent taking pictures and posting ads online, etc.

I'm not trying to tell someone else how to run their business. I understand every shop has their own overhead and business model to consider. However, charging a customer for the return transfer after you've already made a considerable amount of money from them, just doesn't seem like a good business practice.

For me, if it's a good customer and we've done other business together, then there is no way I'd charge for the return transfer. If it's a one off and we've never done any business together, then I think $25 is reasonable to cover the time spent taking pictures and posting ads online, etc.

This is 100% reasonable.

I'm with others on here. If they told you about it up front and/or if it was on the consignment contract then I'm OK with it as you were notified in advance. If they came up with it out of the blue, that is BS and just a made up fee to make more money off you.

There is a popular gun store in my area that charges a fee to transfer the gun back to you if it doesn't sell on Consignment. I heard them point blank tell the consignee that info as he was filling out the paper work. That is the way to do it properly so you're aware of the charge up front.

I think the op is correct for being upset over the $25 fee. Paying the fee and never doing business with them again is the option. Telling them why you'll never do business with them again is also the right thing to do. Calmly and professionally.

Years ago I took my pickup truck in for a 4 wheel brake Job. I had to sit and wait for it because I had no ride to get back. While I was sitting in the waiting room I looked through the window and saw they had all 4 tires off the truck and it dawned on me that I needed a tire rotation. I asked the clerk to also have them rotate the tires (simple front to back). When I checked out they added $30 charge to rotate the tires. I called him out on it and said dang man they had all 4 wheels already off the truck $30 to slide them front to back seems stiff. His response was they have to charge for what they do. I told him I felt adding $30 to an $800 brake job for sliding the tires front to back is crazy.....but I'll pay it.....and I'll never be back and I will tell anyone I know needing a mechanic what to expect here.

Tough call. Let's say you told the guy, "I'm dropping off my truck for brakes. And I need a rotation. What's that cost?" The guy says, "$800 for the brake job, another $30 to rotate the tires."

Was that fair? Or should we only work for people that'll throw in extra jobs for free - regardless if they cost money or not to the vendor?

I'm not saying you are wrong. But the only extra fact you have is that you happen to see them with 4 tires off. What if they only took off 2, then put them back on and then took off the other 2? Would you be pissed then?

It's an interesting thought problem. I'd say it's the shop's right, but I'm a small business owner. So I may be biased. (The OP gun shop owner is a moron, though.). Cool interjection. Thanks!

I'm coming back here to add that the person putting their item into consignment should ask what the fees are if the item doesn't sell. On the flip side it would be wise for stores to make it 100% clear what happens if the item doesn't sell. This isn't a unique situation as an item not selling is always a possibility at a consignment shop. This specific shop likely considers the transfer fee a way to cover their time invested so far due to the customer changing his mind.

Tough call. Let's say you told the guy, "I'm dropping off my truck for brakes. And I need a rotation. What's that cost?" The guy says, "$800 for the brake job, another $30 to rotate the tires."

Was that fair? Or should we only work for people that'll throw in extra jobs for free - regardless if they cost money or not to the vendor?

I'm not saying you are wrong. But the only extra fact you have is that you happen to see them with 4 tires off. What if they only took off 2, then put them back on and then took off the other 2? Would you be pissed then?

It's an interesting thought problem. I'd say it's the shop's right, but I'm a small business owner. So I may be biased. (The OP gun shop owner is a moron, though.). Cool interjection. Thanks!

Sure it's the shops right....I paid the bill. It's also my decision not to go back.

If it was a two wheel brake job I would not have complained about the charge to rotate. I consider myself pretty fair minded. In my case I present where 4 wheels were already off.....$30 for literally zero extra labor or time involved? I don't consider that charge fair at all. I'll tell you the final outcome though.....I found a Midas shop in plaistow nh for my vehicle maintenance needs. He has never charged me to rotate tires during a brake job ever. He also is extremely fair with every job he's ever done for me. I brought in my Tacoma a few months ago with 95k on it for an oil change. The truck has the original brakes on it and it was starting to feel like a bit sloshy when braking. He commented that 95k is alot of mileage on original brakes.....came back and said just needs front pads which is amazing. Under $200 for the pads and labor and out the door. I feel alot of mechanics out there would have told me a full brake job would have been needed based on the mileage alone. I also had a radiator leak on that truck when it had 67000 miles on it. Just out of warranty. He told me to call Toyota first to see if they would have honored the warranty as it was just out. I called Toyota and they told me to bring it to a dealer for replacement. He's honest.....and more than fair.

I've been his loyal customer now for 15 years servicing 3 family vehicles and as long as Ernie is the manager there I'll never go elsewhere. The other shop that charged me for the rotation......wonder if he has loyal repeat customers?

No doubt. It's a toss-up. But if they had just quoted you the total price with and without BEFORE the work started, would you have balked?

FWIW, as a business owner, I'd have just tossed it in as well. But many businesses aren't that savvy. Look at lawyers. "well, I did work - ergo you owe me." "But you did it all wrong!" "Yeahbut, I did work. So. . . . . . " Repair places tend to have schedules. X costs Y no matter if it takes more or less. I know my local shop does that. I have a good relationship with them and they bend over backwards for me. So I am happy for them when stuff happens faster than it should and they save on labor. And I try my damnedest to over-pay them when the job goes longer than it should have. Plus I send them Omaha Steaks every Christmas. But I digress. I'm too good to both customer and vendor alike. It opens s-tons of doors for me.

No condemnation or judgement on my part. I found your reaction and interesting thought experiment. I'm a behavioral economist at heart.

No doubt. It's a toss-up. But if they had just quoted you the total price with and without BEFORE the work started, would you have balked?

FWIW, as a business owner, I'd have just tossed it in as well. But many businesses aren't that savvy. Look at lawyers. "well, I did work - ergo you owe me." "But you did it all wrong!" "Yeahbut, I did work. So. . . . . . " Repair places tend to have schedules. X costs Y no matter if it takes more or less. I know my local shop does that. I have a good relationship with them and they bend over backwards for me. So I am happy for them when stuff happens faster than it should and they save on labor. And I try my damnedest to over-pay them when the job goes longer than it should have. Plus I send them Omaha Steaks every Christmas. But I digress. I'm too good to both customer and vendor alike. It opens s-tons of doors for me.

No condemnation or judgement on my part. I found your reaction and interesting thought experiment. I'm a behavioral economist at heart.
Here's another scenario to consider in this debate based on your "schedule" list for repairs. I need a new water pump for my truck......truck also needs a timing belt/chain. Does the repair shop get to charge me labor to tear the front of the mother off and re assemble it twice or once? I guess they could put that in the quote......but I'm not going to use them. If I dropped off the vehicle for the pump and they called me during the day and said the chain is gone and needs a new one I'm not going to be happy if they charged me twice for the labor on the tear down and re assemble. Guess that's my point about what's "fair".

All in the spirit of a good debate. :)

Sometimes it’s better to get the exposure on the gun if you want it sold quick. There’s a larger audience in some shops than on here.

There's a lot to be said for being able to inspect the item in person, with no pressure.

If you meet a fellow NES member that lives 100 miles away, even if you guys meet halfway, you're going to feel like an ass if there's a scratch you don't like and you then pass.

But in a Gun Shop you see the scratch, you decide not to buy - no pressure.

Consignments are nothing but gravy, all profit for the dealer.

More than likely the consignment agreement states x number of days, if you remove it early you pay the transfer fee. What does the agreement say?

So are Transfers, yet shops charge $40, $60, $80 !!

The $25 Transfers are rare these days.

And the last shop that did a $25 Transfer for me closed recently :(

Only if you believe the shop owner's time is worth nothing. [wink]

This entire thread began because the OP was a bit testy about being charged a $25 Transfer Fee to have his consignment returned to him.

Of course TIME IS MONEY.

But … The Gun Shop already sold some firearms for him, and made a commission.

The only matter that can be questioned is whether the Gun Shop made clear a Transfer Fee would be charged at the time of Consignment.

The OP still has not told us whether the Contract states this or not.

In this special situation, I don't know if a Transfer Fee is appropriate or not.

I do believe a $25 Transfer Fee is very reasonable these days, if you're simply transferring the firearm from another Gun Owner or through GunBroker.

$25 transfer fee is ridiculous in this scenario.

The charge for the tire rotation when the tires were already off is on the same level of ridiculousness.

I wouldn’t ever go back to either shop.

$25 transfer fee is ridiculous in this scenario.

The charge for the tire rotation when the tires were already off is on the same level of ridiculousness.

I wouldn’t ever go back to either shop.

This is still America, and you are 100% entitled to vote with your feet.

Would you opinion change if the fee was in the Contract ?

BTW, the last time I consigned a firearm I left it with the shop for more than a year. Then took it back. No transfer fee was charged. I still have it, and am planning to GB it. Though half the time I like it and want to keep it.

Over the past two months I placed a couple of rifles on consignment at a LGS, they sold them and took 20%, their share for the two $560 - no issue.

I’ve had a pistol on consignment for about 3 months hasn’t sold. So I picked it up today and told them I’m planning on bringing another in.

They transferred the pistol, which was on consignment, back to me and charged me a $25.00 transfer fee. I was a little put off by the fee. Am I wrong here?

IMHO three months is not very long.

A wise man once taught me that if you wish to sell quickly, you're selling cheaply.

Sounds good. I’ll find an FFL who can handle a MA to NH transfer. Will post here tomorrow. Thanks!

15% on consignment and a $25 transfer fee is what one should expect. If a shop charges more then you'll need to consider why your there. I mentioned the original post to my local FFL and he said "Ya some stores are greedy with no customer relations". They do not charge a transfer fee to return a consignment firearm to its original owner.

Last edited:
Here's another scenario to consider in this debate based on your "schedule" list for repairs. I need a new water pump for my truck......truck also needs a timing belt/chain. Does the repair shop get to charge me labor to tear the front of the mother off and re assemble it twice or once? I guess they could put that in the quote......but I'm not going to use them. If I dropped off the vehicle for the pump and they called me during the day and said the chain is gone and needs a new one I'm not going to be happy if they charged me twice for the labor on the tear down and re assemble. Guess that's my point about what's "fair".

All in the spirit of a good debate. :)

It's a good point. See, I'm not sayin you are wrong. I'd be curious if a "normal" shop, when quoting the WHOLE job would just normally toss in the rotation for free. But you make an extremely valid point in a situation where I've been before.

Actually, it's always the opposite for me. "Time to change your timing belt, Dennis. I'd like to replace the water pump while we are at it." "Go for it."

Of course, knowing I was gonna have the truck gone through with a fine-tooth comb before shipping it to my kids in MO last Fall, I skipped the normal timing belt change in June. In early Sept, a week before I took delivery of the NEW vehicle, the water pump let go. Engine grenaded itself. LOL. I was trying to give them the newest possible parts. I did. An engine with only 60,000 miles instead of 250K. ROFL!!

BTW, the last time I consigned a firearm I left it with the shop for more than a year. Then took it back. No transfer fee was charged. I still have it, and am planning to GB it. Though half the time I like it and want to keep it.

Found FFL in Salem, NH who will work with us. Send me PM for details...

Back
Top Bottom