Am I wrong?

Bankjob

NES Member
Over the past two months I placed a couple of rifles on consignment at a LGS, they sold them and took 20%, their share for the two $560 - no issue.

I’ve had a pistol on consignment for about 3 months hasn’t sold. So I picked it up today and told them I’m planning on bringing another in.

They transferred the pistol, which was on consignment, back to me and charged me a $25.00 transfer fee. I was a little put off by the fee. Am I wrong here?

Do they charge $25 as a Transfer Fee for any firearm ?

If so, separate from your issue, many of us would like to do business with them.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence.

20% sounds pretty damn reasonable.

Many Gun Shops have folded lately - so I do have some sympathy for them just trying to get by.

If their 20% was $560 for two rifles they should cut you some slack as a good customer, tho.

One of us completely misunderstood this OP. Lmao

If I were you I'd take everything out of consignment, and tell them why. But I'm petty I guess. I didn't buy a car because they wanted to charge me for the inspection sticker.

Yeah, at some point it's not worth causing trouble.

Took me many years to learn that.

If I were you I'd take everything out of consignment, and tell them why. But I'm petty I guess. I didn't buy a car because they wanted to charge me for the inspection sticker.

In NH we can set our own prices for Inspections, in MA they are set by law and it is illegal to give away a sticker, even on a new/used car sale.

As for the topic at hand, I can understand the LGS transferring it back to you (remember the case with MFL having guns on consignment and the cops wanted to seize them? MFL argued they were his property as they were in his bound book and could not be given back to the owner without a transfer, which would be denied) but charging you $25 is a rip off... please out the shop so we can avoid them.

Remove firearms on consignment from them?

First: Find a shop that charges less than 20%
Two: Find a shop that won't fold next week and disappear with the goods
Third: A shop that charges a low commission but never seems to sell anything isn't worth shit.
Fourth: If you exceeded $600 in receipts they would be required by law in Mass to cut you a 1099-MISC. Lot's of fun - NOT.

Perhaps you should have questioned the $25 a little more firmly?

Squeezing the nickle 'til the buffalo shits.

Personally, I'd find another gun shop and not darken their door again......and see if they can figure out why...which they probably won't.

How about this:

The next firearm you consign, be very clear up front there will be NO TRANSFER FEE if and when you decide to remove it from consignment.

How's that?

i can see why you're a little pissed. also, i can see if you took it back the next day they might jab you, but 3 months, no way. over the years i've never heard of this practice and i certainly wouldn't use them again for consignments if i were you.

i can see why you're a little pissed. also, i can see if you took it back the next day they might jab you, but 3 months, no way. over the years i've never heard of this practice and i certainly wouldn't use them again for consignments if i were you.

Eh.

I've consigned many things over the years, and treasure shops that SELL and pay me.

And for most items 50% is the standard commission.

And for most items 50% is the standard commission.
don't know what a treasure store is...like an antique shop?

50% sounds way high. in a gun shop i expect an average 18% commission. last guns i consigned was at 4 seasons. i believe he was 18.

Over the past two months I placed a couple of rifles on consignment at a LGS, they sold them and took 20%, their share for the two $560 - no issue.

I’ve had a pistol on consignment for about 3 months hasn’t sold. So I picked it up today and told them I’m planning on bringing another in.

They transferred the pistol, which was on consignment, back to me and charged me a $25.00 transfer fee. I was a little put off by the fee. Am I wrong here?

Was it on the consignment agreement? If not then you have a right to whine, if it was, then not so much.

Remove firearms on consignment from them?

First: Find a shop that charges less than 20%
Two: Find a shop that won't fold next week and disappear with the goods
Third: A shop that charges a low commission but never seems to sell anything isn't worth shit.
Fourth: If you exceeded $600 in receipts they would be required by law in Mass to cut you a 1099-MISC. Lot's of fun - NOT.

Perhaps you should have questioned the $25 a little more firmly?

There’s no 1099-MISC needed for a consignment sale if this was from his personal collection. If firearms were how he put food on the table, and in the ordinary course of business he used a third-party to sell his wares, then maybe. But I’d argue against that too.

no, probably wrong legally, but what seems fair is if they didn't transfer it to them, they shouldn't have transferred it back and charged you, especially since they took over 500 on other sales for you
No law mandates a fee for performing a transfer, they can do it for free if they want.
Legality aside, I think this was a slimy move. But I'd probably pay it and tell them they will never see me again.

Wrong wrong wrong find another shop and stop doing business with them . Out them . They do not value you as a customer .They itare looking for a fast buck and not thinking of you as a potential furture bluyer. You have no value to them so you need to let everyone know what kind of customer service they support. Start here and out them .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom