• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I too dumb for a Tremor 3 Reticle? I think I'm too dumb.....

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I just finished watching a tutorial on the Tremor 3 reticle and to be honest I not following a lot of it at all. I'm on the hunt for a quality scope and I've pretty much set my sights on a NightForce ATACR in 5-25x56 Mil. I'm now trying to decide on the reticle. I was leaning towards Mil-C but I've heard people recommend the Tremor recticle. I'm looking to get into more long range shooting with a sprinkling of PRS mixed in. For me the Tremor 3 reticle seems to have a LOT going on in it. Not sure if I'd get half out of it that the reticle provides. Who knows. Maybe I should get it and grow into it, though I think it will be confusing at first. The Mil-C reticle seems much more straight forward, but then again will I be holding myself back later down the road when I'm not so dumb anymore.......

Oh and let the jokes commence. Add a little constructive info as you do it though! [smile]

Not even seeing a Tremor reticale as available for it. MIL-R, MOAR or MOAR-T.

Yeah, looks like it's not on the 5-25x56, though it is on the 7-35x56.

If you feel like the Tremor is too complicated, maybe the MIL-XT will make an acceptable compromise?

Can you try to meet up with a couple folks who do the kind of shooting you're interested in, and ask to try their gear? Maybe get a feel, in person, for how it is to use the reticle?

Tremor is excellent but offers much more than most people need

No reason no to just use the features your need and ignore the others

Yeah. I would really like a reticle with mil elevation and windage dots, with mil hash on the horizontal crosshair. Take out a whole bunch of the Tremor 3. But luckily in actual use with the Tremor 3, your brain can ignore the stuff you don’t use.

But I would LOVE a 2-12x with the simplified tremor I described, but with a strong center red dot, slightly thicker crosshairs, and thick bars on the crosshairs towards the outside so it’s actually usable at 2x.

Last edited:
I just finished watching a tutorial on the Tremor 3 reticle and to be honest I not following a lot of it at all. I'm on the hunt for a quality scope and I've pretty much set my sights on a NightForce ATACR in 5-25x56 Mil. I'm now trying to decide on the reticle. I was leaning towards Mil-C but I've heard people recommend the Tremor recticle. I'm looking to get into more long range shooting with a sprinkling of PRS mixed in. For me the Tremor 3 reticle seems to have a LOT going on in it. Not sure if I'd get half out of it that the reticle provides. Who knows. Maybe I should get it and grow into it, though I think it will be confusing at first. The Mil-C reticle seems much more straight forward, but then again will I be holding myself back later down the road when I'm not so dumb anymore.......

Oh and let the jokes commence. Add a little constructive info as you do it though! [smile]

Sounds like you had your mind made up until you " heard people recommend" something. Sounds like you are too easily swayed by other people opinions.. Work on that and be happy :)

Yeah. I would really like a reticle with mil elevation and windage dots, with mil hash on the horizontal crosshair. Take out a whole bunch of the Tremor 3. But luckily in actual use with the Tremor 3, your brain can ignore the stuff you don’t use.

But I would LOVE a 2-12x with the simplified tremor I described, but with a strong center red dot, slightly thicker crosshairs, and thick bars on the crosshairs towards the outside so it’s actually usable at 2x.
I’m not certain but I think you described a TMR D illuminated reticle. Finding a 2-12, well that’s a different story.

I’m not certain but I think you described a TMR D illuminated reticle. Finding a 2-12, well that’s a different story.
The TMR-D doesn’t have wind holds. And the illuminated segmented circle is really thick. The ultimate would be a Nightforce FC-DMx, but with wind hold dots for 5, 10, 15mph(obviously the values would differ for different loads) instead of the Christmas tree.

And I threw 2-12 out there, but 2.5-15 or other similar mid-range would be great too.

I’d stay away from the Tremor 3 way too much stuff that you will never need. I run the Mil-XT reticle and I really like it. It gives you everything you would need in a comp reticle without all the stupid crap you’ll never use.

One of the biggest things for PRS is being able to spot your impacts on the clock so overly cluttered reticles aren’t my favorite.

More recently I’ve been eyeing the Mil-C reticle just for cleanliness, although I do tend to holdover quite a bit on certain stages and feel it will be a little harder.

Ultimately, Don’t feel you need all kinds of crazy things in a reticle. They will be more of a hindrance than anything.

I’d suggest getting out to a few comps and looking through as much glass as you can get your hands on.

tremor is ok but overloaded.
i keep pushing that arken stuff as i like all about it, currently. :) including its reticle. and it is on sale now for $450. and glass is better than one in a nightforce. :p
all the same basic shit but much less crap in the view. it`s the mil one.

1668175609360.png

tremor is ok but overloaded.
i keep pushing that arken stuff as i like all about it, currently. :) including its reticle. and it is on sale now for $450. and glass is better than one in a nightforce. :p
all the same basic shit but much less crap in the view. it`s the mil one.

😉 I don’t know about that. But the glass is good for the price. Arkens seem to be the most common optic out at Granby the past few months. Biggest downside to them seems to be weight, but that’s not an issue with a competition gun if that is one’s purpose.

😉 I don’t know about that. But the glass is good for the price. Arkens seem to be the most common optic out at Granby the past few months. Biggest downside to them seems to be weight, but that’s not an issue with a competition gun if that is one’s purpose.
it is as heavy as a brick, yep. they made a lighter one, elp4 - but it is a 30mm tube and who knows what glass. ep5 from what i get now may have QC issues, as some apparently get more chroma aberrations than others, my 2 samples are very clear. kinda think of if i should get a third one and swap some primary arms stuff out, but, from other perspective - it is just an absolute waste of money at this point. what i regret is getting sh4 arken - that was stupid, but, heck with it.

ps. as of glass quality's - i`m just teasing. it always seems to tick people off. :)

Last edited:

Look at the H59 reticle instead of the tremor

Tremor is too busy IMHO and the H59 is a slightly simplified tremor without the confusing wind holds on the x-axis.

Tremor is too busy IMHO and the H59 is a slightly simplified tremor without the confusing wind holds on the x-axis.
H59 does not have a center dot, and it is not that i like - when the center area has crossing lines blocking view.

If someone doesn’t want the wind holds, then I would say there are a whole bunch of other, better, mil tree reticles out there than the H59. And bonus that you don’t need to pay extra for them.

If someone doesn’t want the wind holds, then I would say there are a whole bunch of other, better, mil tree reticles out there than the H59. And bonus that you don’t need to pay extra for them.

IDK

The H59 and the MIL XT are nearly identical

The H59 doesnt have the staggered .2mil subtensions on the X and Y axis

Otherwise the two are theme and variation to one another with the diffs being quite minor.

If I'm considering spending 3100 on the NF 5-25 F1 Mil XT OR 3350 on the same with H59 I'm personally not gonna quibble over the difference....I'm getting the reticle I prefer

I look at scope purchases as an investment and the cost justified over a 10 year period cuz its not like I'm going to stop shooting any time soon......when I look at it that way its $310/year vs $350/year....and the difference is insignificant

IDK

The H59 and the MIL XT are nearly identical

The H59 doesnt have the staggered .2mil subtensions on the X and Y axis

Otherwise the two are theme and variation to one another with the diffs being quite minor.

If I'm considering spending 3100 on the NF 5-25 F1 Mil XT OR 3350 on the same with H59 I'm personally not gonna quibble over the difference....I'm getting the reticle I prefer

I look at scope purchases as an investment and the cost justified over a 10 year period cuz its not like I'm going to stop shooting any time soon......when I look at it that way its $310/year vs $350/year....and the difference is insignificant
Yeah, if you really prefer the H59 over all the other mil tree reticles, then sure the extra cost is worth it. I’m just saying there are so many other mil tree reticles out there. The H59 really doesn’t shine above any of them.

Yeah, if you really prefer the H59 over all the other mil tree reticles, then sure the extra cost is worth it. I’m just saying there are so many other mil tree reticles out there. The H59 really doesn’t shine above any of them.

Whether one reticle "shines" over another is completely dependent on criteria/requirements of an individual.

Everyone has different criteria/shit thats important to them

Hell....huge numbers of people dont know WTF is important to them because they're just buying glass for the first time.

For me its got to be first focal plane, mil dot reticle and turrets.....regardless of magnification range those are non negotiable....and its gonna be NF because its easy/avail and they stand behind their stuff....there are lots of other good manufacturers but I dont feel like farting around....NF just works for ME......ymmv

Outside of zero adjustments I dont use turrets.....I shoot 100% out of the reticle so a "tree" is pretty much a requirement.

Beyond that its all personal preference.....my criteria are probably diff than most other people.

That narrows my options to Tremor, H59 and Mil-XT

I try to "private proof" shit as much as possible....a "busy" reticle like the tremor with the mover subtensions on x-axis requires too much thinking and slows me down/causes mistakes/misses under stress.

I dont like the .2 subtensions on the Mil-XT that wag back and forth on the X and Y axis.....its out

Based on my own criteria/requirements that leaves me with the H59....imho its the cleanest/most consistent reticle of the options avail to me based on my own requirements.....again....ymmv

Here's the H59

horus_h59_reticle_technical_specs.jpg

Here's the tremor.....this reticle cause me to want to kibby on the ground when I look at it.....I'm not smart enough to use this under stress

horus_tremor3_reticle_technical_specs.jpg

Last edited:
Whether one reticle "shines" over another is completely dependent on criteria/requirements of an individual.

Everyone has different criteria/shit thats important to them
Here's the tremor.....this reticle cause me to want to kibby on the ground when I look at it.....I'm not smart enough to use this under stress

horus_tremor3_reticle_technical_specs.jpg
User requirements/desirements should always drive gear. Of course. But the market is flooded with mil tree reticles that are all very similar, that’s all I’m saying. If one reticle had a particular small feature you want that others don’t, then yeah that’s the reticle for you. I rarely see people go out of their way to recommend the H59 anymore though, with all the other options available. But if it works for you, that’s great.

As for the Tremor 3, it works for me. I like holding rather than dialing for situations requiring quick target acquisition, and the wind dots make it very easy. And since it is the only reticle out there with mil elevation stadia and windage dots, there are no other options for me. But I admit that it is too cluttered and I wish some of the stuff were removed.

That said, even under the stress of a time constraint, I’ve found the Tremor 3 easy to use. All the stuff you’re not using gets somewhat ignored by the brain.

I do wish there was a version with less stuff, and I do wish there were some elements to it that made it more usable below 5x. It’s bad enough at 3.6x on my Mk5HD. I can only imagine how useless it is on the NX8 at 2.5x. It seems like the H59 is equally bad at the low magnifications. But until then, it is what I’ll use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom