Am I the only one who hates IWB carry?

If you really want to be comfortable carrying concealed, you need to get a carry gun. A 229 weighs in at 32oz and is 1.5" wide (a 1911 probably heavier). This is simply not going to be a good IWB carry.

Carry guns like the Kahrs weigh in at +-15 oz and are <1.00 inch wide, which is more than a pound lighter than the 229!!! Also, the extra 1/2 inch on the width of the gun makes a huge difference when dealing with IWB comfort.
I disagree strongly.

I find my 40 oz steel government model is more comfortable to carry IWB than my 24 oz Kahr. It isn't the weight that provides comfort, it is the design of the holster and the fit of your pants.

Furthermore, the bulk of the width in a 229 is in the butt. The slide simply isn't that wide, and it isn't the butt that is inside your pants. The extra width of the butt may make it more likely to print, but it isn't going to affect the comfort.

I occasionally use a Comp-Tac MTAC.

There's an unnamed law loosely related to Parkinson's Law, the Peter Principle and Murphy's Law:
"Your waistline will expand to fit the largest belt you own."
I guess it doesn't apply to everyone, but it does seem to apply to me.

I occasionally use a Comp-Tac MTAC.

There's an unnamed law loosely related to Parkinson's Law, the Peter Principle and Murphy's Law:
"Your waistline will expand to fit the largest belt you own."
I guess it doesn't apply to everyone, but it does seem to apply to me.

I hate wearing belts. ;-)

If you really want to be comfortable carrying concealed, you need to get a carry gun. A 229 weighs in at 32oz and is 1.5" wide (a 1911 probably heavier). This is simply not going to be a good IWB carry.

Carry guns like the Kahrs weigh in at +-15 oz and are <1.00 inch wide, which is more than a pound lighter than the 229!!! Also, the extra 1/2 inch on the width of the gun makes a huge difference when dealing with IWB comfort.

I have no issues carrying a 229 iwb at all. A good belt and quality holster are key. I have a 1 3/4 5.11 operator belt with a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC. Works just fine.

I felt I was printing with 4-5 o'clock IWB. I moved to appendix carry which is less comfortable, but more concealable for me. Still need to lose some weight though :(

I really appreciate the advice, but I hate small guns. I would rather suffer or carry OWB than carry anything smaller than a 229.

I hate iwb. Owb all the way. If your heavy its a little tougher but I buy the cheapo owb holster; wear fitting shirts and I never print. Owb is more comfortable, you don't need another set of clothes and I can carry anything from a full size 92fs to a 5 inch 1911. There is no one more paranoid about printing then me. What I went through to get an unrestricted ccw.......I don't chance anything.

I recently bought 2 crossbreed supertuck holsters and I could not be happier with them. I am a fat guy (not obese, but yeah, I'm fat) and when I am sitting the gun will dig into my lovehandles if I lean over on the side I carry.

I should also mention that I carry either a LCP or a G26. Not big guns, so maybe that is what makes the difference. I really suggest that you try a crossbreed. You can always return it within a week or 2 if you don't like it.

I can't stand it. I have tried all kinds of holsters, have a couple of really good belts and I just hate it.

It seems that no matter what I do. It is fine when I am standing or walking but invariably I will I will have to sit in a restaurant booth of chair and it is uncomfortable as hell.

Give me a OWB that sits real close any day.

Open to suggestions advice etc.

I can't stand wearing pants so I have nothing to offer.

hate it. always paranoid. got a j-frame to pocket carry and i fell in love. looking to try a ankle holster some day

I carry a Ruger SR9c in a Kholster at either 2:30 is or 3:30ish depending on my shirt, its comfortable sitting but more so at 3:30ish. I'm 5'8" and a fairly fit 170. Winter time...switch to a S&W 627 (IWB or OWB depending on clothes at 2:30is) in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake; it hides just fine.

I recently bought 2 crossbreed supertuck holsters and I could not be happier with them. I am a fat guy (not obese, but yeah, I'm fat) and when I am sitting the gun will dig into my lovehandles if I lean over on the side I carry.

I should also mention that I carry either a LCP or a G26. Not big guns, so maybe that is what makes the difference. I really suggest that you try a crossbreed. You can always return it within a week or 2 if you don't like it.

+ 1 love my supertuck carry m&p9c very comfortable and I am big guy as well 6'3 285

Wow, I've just never had that issue with a IWB holster. the only thing I can think of is that either the holster doesn't fit you or you have a roll that gets jammed by the gun when you sit.

I do have a couple of Supertucks and one of their belts. The belt is really great and 85% of the time the holster is fine, but it is that 15% that really makes me hate it.

Recently, we went out to dinner with some friends and the booths were worse than church pews. After about 30 minutes of it digging into my leg I broke down and shifted it to about 5 o'clock. I spent the rest of the night with it digging into my rear.

Hawaiian style or untucked button down shirts and a OWB leather holster. Perfectly acceptable dress most of the time and conceals very well. Very comfortable, quick, easy draw.

I hate IWB carry. I can't wait for flannel shirt weather

I have a Supertuck and a Phantom. Right now my carry gun is a 229 but I would like to start carrying my new 1911

Definitely try the Comp-Tac Minotaur. Not sure where you are, but I have one for the 229 if you want to try it.

FWIW, I think the 229 is too heavy for EDC. I'm 165 when I'm exercising regularly, so that might have something to do with it. I'll still carry it sometimes, but it's not my favorite. I alternate between a 239 and a G19 in the winter and a pocket gun in the summer.

Usual stuff about having a good gun belt and wearing a larger pant size apply, but you probably know all of that already.

Thanks Doug. I just ordered one.

I have a couple of real good gunbelts. I think it is just body type. I am about 6'1" and around 255ish. 54" chest and 40" waist. Now, I could probably stand to loose a few pounds... No, it's true... but most people would say I'm kinda big. I just think that IWB is just harder for guys that don't wear the athletic cut suits any more.

I'm fat (6' 0" 290) and can carry a P226 in a Don Hume PCCH on a Wilderness Tactical belt at 3:00 without issue.

That being said, I love dropping my LCR in my pocket and calling it a day.

Last edited:
I'll give you my 2cents. I use a Texas Heritage from Tucker's Gunleather for my fullsize M&P .40.
I generally carry at about 3:30. And at 6'5", 300lbs, there is some size to me.
With plenty of cant and having it ride low, it just about disappears on me.

I use IWB year-round, mainly since I hardly even use a jacket in the winter.

I hate IWB carry also. I have tried so many Hand Guns & holster combinations that I forget what goes with what! My basement now looks like a Holster Outlet Store.

I hate IWB carry also. I have tried so many Hand Guns & holster combinations that I forget what goes with what! My basement now looks like a Holster Outlet Store.

Got anything for full sized 1911? I could come to your outlet store and try it before I buy it. I'm only half kidding here.

one of my main problems with it is that is pulls my pants down and rides my boxers up (i have a MTAC)

i havea gun belt, and if it were any tighter, food would not pass into my intestines.

I have a couple of real good gunbelts. I think it is just body type. I am about 6'1" and around 255ish. 54" chest and 40" waist. Now, I could probably stand to loose a few pounds... No, it's true... but most people would say I'm kinda big. I just think that IWB is just harder for guys that don't wear the athletic cut suits any more.

Yeah, I guess I have the opposite problem. I'm kind of skinny for a middle aged guy, and I can definitely feel the extra weight on a 34" waist.

Definitely post when you get the Comp-tac in. I'm curious how it works out for you. I love the 229. It's my favorite for action pistol shoots.

I have never used anything but. the only downside is to make sure you have pants that accommodate the gun i have put on a little wait so now i have a few pairs of shorts that I cant carry with because it makes the waist to tight.

Back
Top Bottom