Am I the only one who hates IWB carry?

fencer

NES Member
I can't stand it. I have tried all kinds of holsters, have a couple of really good belts and I just hate it.

It seems that no matter what I do. It is fine when I am standing or walking but invariably I will I will have to sit in a restaurant booth of chair and it is uncomfortable as hell.

Give me a OWB that sits real close any day.

Open to suggestions advice etc.

Try a Comp-tac Infidel IWB (with belt loops only about $60) before you totally give up on IWB carry. I had the same problem as you. Other IWB I tried were bulky, and printed horribly and not comfortable.

There are probably other holsters that are just as good (like probably the Comp-tac Minotaur), but after trying 2 other types of holster the Infidel is the best I've found.

I have 2 of them, one for a Glock 26 and for a Walther PPS. It keeps the pistol very snug to my waist, does not print too bad, and I am not too worried about my shirt getting snagged on it and revealing it. Drawing and holstering works well.

I wear it at the 4/5 o'clock. Probably any holster worn in front appendix carry won't be that comfortable (unless it is a small pistol like a Sig p238).

Last edited:
What holsters have you tried, what guns are you carrying, and have you purchased pants that are one size larger (or have an elastic waistband)?

I used to hate IWB holsters. I had tried carrying my Kahr K40 (a very slim and small gun) in a quality holster from Rusty Sherrick. I found it to be very uncomfortable.

Lately I've been carrying a full-size 1911 in an IWB #3 holster from Kramer Leather, and it is far more comfortable than the smaller and lighter Kahr K40. Go figure.

When I put on weight, I hate it. When I lose weight, I love it.

Right now, I don't like it too much. [wink]

I'm too fat also so it's either go up a size, lose weight or OWB for me.

I've lost some serious weight this year I figure ten more pounds and I will be able to carry IWB very comfortable.

I cary a 642 in a blackhawk IWB holster, (not leather) i forget its there,

doesn't matter if i'm standing or sitting. What gun(s) what holster(s)

a used car salesman said, "there's a seat for every ass"

What holsters have you tried, what guns are you carrying, and have you purchased pants that are one size larger (or have an elastic waistband)?

I used to hate IWB holsters. I had tried carrying my Kahr K40 (a very slim and small gun) in a quality holster from Rusty Sherrick. I found it to be very uncomfortable.

Lately I've been carrying a full-size 1911 in an IWB #3 holster from Kramer Leather, and it is far more comfortable than the smaller and lighter Kahr K40. Go figure.

I have a Supertuck and a Phantom. Right now my carry gun is a 229 but I would like to start carrying my new 1911

Off topic a little. A Worcester Police officer told my buddy they perfer open carry. That will solve your comfort problems. But it will scare the S**t out of people.

I have a Supertuck and a Phantom. Right now my carry gun is a 229 but I would like to start carrying my new 1911

I have a Supertuck, and I carry a USP (which is a f-ing brick). It's not uncomfortable. What position are you carrying it in? I've found that between 4 and 5 o'clock works very well for me. I can sit at work or in my car for long hours and barely even notice it's there.

My favorite so far is the supertuck, but I sweat plenty and it makes it uncomfortable rubbing on my back, too hot for undershirts right now. I bought a j frame for ankle carry but im not all that comfortable shooting it to carry it yet.

I carry a Glock 23 and have had the same IWB holster since I started carrying 10 years ago when I had a Glock 19. I have a Don Hume nylon cheapie model like this one. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_25&products_id=394

I've had to have some stitching work done once a few years ago but other than that its been great.

The contour of the Glock and smooth edges make it great for IWB carry.

I am carrying at about the same position. I guess I am just to fat for IWB.

This fat guy doesn't mind IWB with my M&P 9c but when I go to the full size 45 it's a little more uncomfortable. The barrel length gets annoying when seated. I use a Comp Tac Minotaur and adjusting the ride height and can't has helped dial it in for me as well.

I hear you on IWB, i cant wait for winter when jackets make owb easy!!! I have 2 holsters , a remora holster for my work days since its just on me during the car rides to work, then into the safe for work , etc. Then the crossbreed . By far the crossbreed does a better concealment job and thank god for the glock 26's short grip. I wore a fitted shirt to a idpa match when i was visiting hanwei. He didnt even know i was ccwing at a gun comp. Lol but most of the days im not going to wear a crossbreed, ive fallen into the put it in the remora , and place it in my coach bag ways lol.. So much easier . I know its bad but it works. Its odd how people say they forget its there cause im hella aware of the CB pressing against me. It will be nice to grab a owb for winter. I wish it were more accepted in this state .

This fat guy doesn't mind IWB with my M&P 9c but when I go to the full size 45 it's a little more uncomfortable. The barrel length gets annoying when seated. I use a Comp Tac Minotaur and adjusting the ride height and can't has helped dial it in for me as well.

I just ordered the Minotaur. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks for the tip

I built my own supertuck ....it's probably the most comfortable style out there IWB. Still it's big for summer/walking the dog with shorts,etc......so i use a Hume H715, no sweatguard, the gun hides a little better, and it's pretty comfortable. Still OWB way better as far as comfort goes...but that only works in the winter for me.

This is turning into the out-yourself thread for the fatties. I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and have subsequently put on a bunch of weight. I'm in the process of reversing that gain, but right now small-of-back carry is working for this pig. That's with a G17 in a Blade Tech. Otherwise it's a S&W 642 in my front pocket.

Minotaur by Comp Tac. I carry a S&W 1911ES at 4:00. At the moment I'm about 5 pounds heavier than I'd like so it's less than comfortable but when I'm in shape it's fine. Only time it is slightly an issue is when I'm driving (Mazda MX-5) when the side supports of my bucket seats press on the gun's grip just a bit. I need to shift a little to settle in.

No you are not. I'm just too fat to use that method comfortably. Therefore I pocket carry a keltec

i find either a l.a.w.concealment systems or a Galco King-tuck ( supertuck clone ) to work very well , at 5oclock , but i prefer to carry at 3oclock ( 3:30 ish really) and OWB is my only comfy way then.

No you are not. I'm just too fat to use that method comfortably. Therefore I pocket carry a keltec

Dude! It's like a support group. That's my other carry when I can't pull off a 'real' gun.

My name is Bob and I pocket carry a Kel Tec...

Fencer, I carry a 229 as well. This is my IWB holster: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Hidden_Ally/hidden_ally.html.

I won't preach to you that I forget my gun is there, but I'd give it 4/5 stars on comfort. In terms of position, it feels best at 5 o'clock.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed carrying that far back ruins your clothes? On one of my more fragile shirts, the butt of the gun wore a hole through it. I'm guessing it's the constant friction when leaning all the way back on a couch / car seat.

I have never had as comfortable a holster as my crossbreed. This is just my own experience but if you have not tried one that is my recommendation.

If you really want to be comfortable carrying concealed, you need to get a carry gun. A 229 weighs in at 32oz and is 1.5" wide (a 1911 probably heavier). This is simply not going to be a good IWB carry.

Carry guns like the Kahrs weigh in at +-15 oz and are <1.00 inch wide, which is more than a pound lighter than the 229!!! Also, the extra 1/2 inch on the width of the gun makes a huge difference when dealing with IWB comfort.

Back
Top Bottom