• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I the only one that sees this?

But I don't. I saw the "Antifa-BLM" posted like this on another site and immediately thought Antebellum? Wow, so similar....

OH and the "what does it mean" was a Double Rainbow meme reference.

RC

But I don't. I saw the "Antifa-BLM" posted like this on another site and immediately thought Antebellum? Wow, so similar....

OH and the "what does it mean" was a Double Rainbow meme reference.

RC
Well, the rainbow is that G-d promises not to destroy the earth with a flood again.

Double rainbow is that G-d is REALLY promising that it won't be water....but there are three other Elements (four, counting Quintessence) to work with.....

Bellum is Latin for war. Parabellum (as in 9mm Parabellum) means for war. Antebellum means after the war, commonly used in describing the post Civil War South.

But you are correct on the meaning of parabellum.

No, he wasn't.

I had the misfortune of learning Latin in high school. However, many English words have Latin roots so at least it helps me be a d!ckhead now. lol.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace prepare for war.

So para translates as "prepare (for)" from the Latin verb parare and is the present singular imperative tense. The imperative tense of a verb is an instruction or command. One could argue it should be parate bellum, the present plural imperative tense, but para bellum was good enough for the Romans so who am I to disagree.

Last edited:
No, he wasn't.

I had the misfortune of learning Latin in high school. However, many English words have Latin roots so at least it helps me be a d!ckhead now. lol.

So para translates as "prepare (for)" from the Latin verb parare and is the present singular imperative tense. The imperative tense of a verb is an instruction or command. One could argue it should be parate bellum, the present plural imperative tense, but para bellum was good enough for the Romans so who am I to argue.

For the record, just because I'm 0 for 2, I am not Hillary von Pantsuit.

Just wanted to clear that up. Carry on.

Not to be pedantic, but I've also suffered from HS Latin. "vis" here is from the root "videre" which means "to see". So this is more accurately translated as "if you wish to see peace . . ."

"Belli finem etiam inferi non viderunt" - Only the dead have seen the end of war

No, he wasn't.

So para translates as "prepare (for)" from the Latin verb parare and is the present singular imperative tense. The imperative tense of a verb is an instruction or command. One could argue it should be parate bellum, the present plural imperative tense, but para bellum was good enough for the Romans so who am I to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom