Am I "kicking the sleeping dog" here?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice and/or direction on a potential issue with applying for a non-res ME CCW permit. I had no problems getting licensed in MA (no small feat in itself) and I also hold a non-res NH CCW as well, and given that a good friend of mine just moved up to Maine (who's also a gunnie) I figured I'd apply for my non-res ME CCW as well.

Here's the wrinkle:

About 13 years ago, I was pulled over for speeding in ME, and I'm not sure if I ever paid the ticket. 13 years being what it is, and given my M.O. regarding speeding tickets at the time (I was in my early twenties [grin] ) it's a safe bet the ticket remained unpaid, and fines, demands and the like were/are still asessed. Now the last thing I want to do is apply for my non-res CCW and have a denial due to some unpaid speeding ticket, or worse yet blow the lid off a old warrant or some crazy thing like that! [angry]

I considered calling the Maine State Police, but I thought that might be marching into the Lion's den, and I don't know any Maine cops that could pull a BOP on me without causing a ruckus. Anyone have any advice/info on what I should do, or am I just being overly cautious?

Thanks!

I'd call and ask about it. If you want a Maine carry permit, you'll have to pay it if you owe it anyway. If nothing comes up on their computer about it then no harm done. They can't reach through the phone and drag you in and if there is a warrant out for you about it or its on file, you might as well get it cleared up now and not during a vacation or in the middle of the night on the way home at a time of most inconvenience.

More than likely the unpaid ticket would have shown up when you went to have your MA DL or registration renewed (I don't know if MA and ME have a reciprocal agreement on unpaid moving/parking violations).

Back
Top Bottom