Am I alone on this?

The best part about keeping all the magazines topped off is then you have more room for boxes of ammo. I had a case of 223 that i was struggling to get in the safe then realized I had put away my mags empty after my last blasting session. Spent a half an hour jamming mags and ammo storage issue went away. But now i feel like I need to go buy more ammo. It is a sickness.

The best part about keeping all the magazines topped off is then you have more room for boxes of ammo. I had a case of 223 that i was struggling to get in the safe then realized I had put away my mags empty after my last blasting session. Spent a half an hour jamming mags and ammo storage issue went away. But now i feel like I need to go buy more ammo. It is a sickness.

It's a space saving feature of magazines. They are like small filing cabinets.

Another thing I run into is people excited to tell me what their SHTF, world chaos, this is what I will leave the house with gun. Paranoid or prepared? I dont know but here is what i consider good thinking - he is planning on staying home and protecting his own. I am not taking anything with me, I cant carry all my stuff. My home is my castle.

For me SHTF is not about ammo. Ammo is easy - buy a ton of it, store it on a shelf, and done. It's relatively easy to stock and won't go bad if stored anywhere close to properly. (AKA not under water.)

Storing and rotating enough food, clean water, clothing, and other gear in both primary and backup locations is a much more difficult challenge logistically.

paranoia-zombies-demotivational-poster-1211410268.jpg

Last edited:
Zombie Thread!

I'm sure the SWAT team will allow you plenty of time to reload your single mag if you just yell "TIMEOUT!" loud enough.

If you think they might not listen it's prolly best to have more mags loaded than they do, or be a better shot.

What? You want to have food too?

Pre-ban gets you every time.

Ten Pack of DSG Grey Teflon Coated 30rd Magazines w/ MAGPUL Anti-tilt Follower - $85

You could have 200 mags for around $1700, but again only if you live in a free state. Let's face it if TSHTF and you're not in a free state, your gov't will probably murder you anyway.

I found it interesting there appears to be a resurgence in USGI mags after all the Magpul hysteria of the last few years.

Move back to GI magazines - a journey

Anyone who would switch "back" to using military issue green followers needs their head examined.

The grey/orange/whatever color anti tilt MagPul follower is unquestionably the best improvement ever made to the 30rd M16/AR15 magazine since its invention, bar none.

I will be happy to be wrong on this, so do please correct me, but I've been under the impression (hopefully wrong impression) that storing ammunition in mags while in your home is not quite legal...? What gave me said impression was this GOAL page regarding MGL.

"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

http://goal.org/masslawpages/ammostorage.html

I will be happy to be wrong on this, so do please correct me, but I've been under the impression (hopefully wrong impression) that storing ammunition in mags while in your home is not quite legal...? What gave me said impression was this GOAL page regarding MGL.

"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

http://goal.org/masslawpages/ammostorage.html

Technically you're not "wrong" but in practice, nobody cares. That's just a dumb fire reg anyways, that everyone basically ignores, it's not a "law" per se. Further, IMO, a loaded mag is in use, or at least intended to be used on short notice.

It's also unenforceable. If you reload, what is the original container? Do they want me to put the loaded ammo in the plastic jar the powder came out of? [rofl]

-Mike

The freaking zombies are for real!

Trust me, you need to get more mags and a bunch more ammo.
You can never have too much of this kind of stuff.
Also you need some cold beer to drink while loading magazines.

smitty

Technically you're not "wrong" but in practice, nobody cares. That's just a dumb fire reg anyways, that everyone basically ignores, it's not a "law" per se. Further, IMO, a loaded mag is in use, or at least intended to be used on short notice.

It's also unenforceable. If you reload, what is the original container? Do they want me to put the loaded ammo in the plastic jar the powder came out of? [rofl]

-Mike

good to know, ty

Ammo was really never an issue since I reload and do have about 5 mags per gun except the ar which I have 8. But thought if keeping them topped off at all times was a good idea.I guess you never REALLY have enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My goal is to keep about a thousand rounds in reserve for the AR & AK & .45. But then I get lazy with the reloading or budgeting and shoot a bunch of it and start over ...

Ammo was really never an issue since I reload and do have about 5 mags per gun except the ar which I have 8. But thought if keeping them topped off at all times was a good idea.I guess you never REALLY have enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it's true that combat units get deployed with about this many mags, you should probably ask yourself if you'll have the same supply chain as a US military unit does and be travelling in a squad of equally equipped friends.

If the answer is no, then in a real SHTF scenario it's best to have far more than 5 or 8 on hand and loaded.

ETA:

Also, If you stock up and have far more you can shoot for a long period of time to cycle thru ammo + ensure all mags are functional and just refill them all when you're done for the day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom