Always go with your gut

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My 4 year old daughter has a severe allergy to gelatin. We found this out about two years ago after she went into anaphylaxis twice. Since then my wife and I read the ingredients in everything we buy. It is in the most random things from some cereals to cheese and even soap.

Well tonight I made dinner and I made some stuffing as a side. I plated everyone's food and we sat to eat. For some reason I thought I should read the ingredients on the stuffing box again. Halfway through I see it, gelatin, my stomach sank. I yelled don't eat it!!!

I swear I read the box in the store. My older daughter says she saw her sister eat some of the stuffing, she denies it. It's been hours now and if she was going to have a reaction she should have by now, I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight. I'll be in checking her too much.

So let this be a lesson, go with your gut, trust your instincts or listen to that voice in your head. It saved me a trip to the ER tonight and possibly my daughters life. I feel like such a ****ty dad.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't be so hard on yourself man, you try your damnedest right? Best wishes for your daughter and all. I feel for parents who have to monitor allergies. As if we didn't have enough to worry about raising kids these days.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That sucks. Have the doctors said wait a year and try a little bit?
My son had eggs one day and broke out in hives almost immediately, then wheezing. Knew what was going on and called the doctor. We now have epi pens that we carry all the time.
Don't beat yourself up. You are doing what we would all do.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glad everything worked out for her. I have had it with processed food, it seems to be a constant battle to keep up with crap in the food.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
I know how small the type can be on ingredient lists... Might be time to invest in a magnifying glass to bring with you. Or, if your phone display is large enough, take a picture of the ingredients list and zoom in on it so you can see it better. With your child's well being/life on the line, either one would be a worth doing.

At the rate food allergies are cropping up, I have to wonder what food will look like in a handful of generations (or less).

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That sucks. Have the doctors said wait a year and try a little bit?
My son had eggs one day and broke out in hives almost immediately, then wheezing. Knew what was going on and called the doctor. We now have epi pens that we carry all the time.
Don't beat yourself up. You are doing what we would all do.
When the doctors around here couldn't figure out what she was allergic to we took her to children's in Boston. They did a blood test and her numbers were off the scale. Even if her blood work ever said she was no longer allergic she would have to go to children's and they would giver her some in tiny doses.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I work for kraft foods making gelatin. I was surprised what this stuff is put into myself. Candy, gel caps, etc. This is not your grandmas jell-o. This is the first allergy I've heard with it. And my best wishes to your little daughter, I been the anaphylaxis route myself with a penicillin allergy. It's scary for an adult never mind a child.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Glad everything worked out for her. I have had it with processed food, it seems to be a constant battle to keep up with crap in the food.
It seems to be in more store brand things and low fat versions of food. What really sucks is that it's in most vaccinations as a preservative. We have to order special ones for her but there is one that they only make one of. So we have to decide of we take the chance not getting it or taking her to the hospital to get small doses of it over 6-8 hours!

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It seems to be in more store brand things and low fat versions of food. What really sucks is that it's in most vaccinations as a preservative. We have to order special ones for her but there is one that they only make one of. So we have to decide of we take the chance not getting it or taking her to the hospital to get small doses of it over 6-8 hours!
Thank god she has great parents.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Gelatin? That's strange because it's an animal byproduct. I'm assuming she's OK with meat. Could she be allergic to something used in the process of making it?

Watch out for those unpronouncables on the ingredients list. The food industry has gone full retard as far as processing, modifying and engineering the things we eat. I have a minor issue with corn and anything derived from it. I've had to learn that not only can modified food starch, dextros, fructos and sucros be made from corn, but corn is now used to make MSG, citric acid, lactic acid and a long list of "unpronouncables". It's even in table salt (makes it pour when it rains).

Don't feed her anthing who's ingredients list contains stuff you aren't absolutely sure of. And, good luck.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Caring means your not a sh***y dad.

Anyway, I hope she's fine. Mine has nut allergies, or at least she's been tested for them and results were positive. The only time she actually reacted was to cashews. An Indian guy I managed brought me some stuff back when he went home to get married. It turned out it was made of cashew paste and my daughter ate it. Luckily, no anaphylaxis, she just threw up. Anaphylaxis would scare the hell out of me.

Gelatin seems like a tough one because it's less well known. I hope she grows out of it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You sound like a good dad to me.
^^^^This

My daughter, now 5, choked pretty badly on a piece of chicken when she had just turned 3. I had to to the mouth sweep and Heimlich,(thank god for the Red Cross classes I'd taken). Absolutely scared the shut out of me. To this day, I'm like a hawk when she's eating, to the point that it's hard to eat my own meal, but I'm slowly relaxing about it.

Keeping an eye on these things(aka worrying ourselves to death) is what good parents do, good job. Hopefully everything continues to be alright, and who knows, maybe she's growing out of it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glad things worked out okay. Sounds like you're very aware of what to do = good dad

Always trust that little voice, every time I ignore it I've gotten burned. Then I end up kicking myself in the ass for days, weeks, or months on end depend on how bad the situation was.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At the rate food allergies are cropping up, I have to wonder what food will look like in a handful of generations (or less).
Maybe it will look like food? My mother once asked why I use butter instead of margarine, saying it was healthier. I told her I can read the ingredients on butter.

I'm thinking the food companies are trying to go down the route that leads to Soylent Green.

As for the OP - good catch Dad! Great job!

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
you did good.

our son is allergic to shellfish, it came on all of a sudden when he was 5, used to eat shrimp like they were going out of style, then one day he had some and his eyes came out of his head!! Threw him in the car, flew to the hospital.."daddy why are you driving so fast?" LOL

Top Bottom