Alternative to pinning an adjustable stock

I was assembling some lowers today and was thinking about how I was going to make my adjustable stocks "MA legal". I am aware of the methods out there to do this, but was thinking outside of the box. Looking for input before I make a bunch of these:

Picture A lego type block that will have two bosses that will fit into two of the counterbores and the slot of the buffer tube. In between them there will be a hole the same size of the C'bores in the buffer tube (my drawing shows a C'bore, but a hole will be easier from a manufacturing standpoint). This will allow the pin that normally locks the stock into place to be locked in, but it will lock into the new block. The block will sit flush with the surface that the pencil is pointing at in picture 2. This will prevent the stock to be adjusted "on the fly", but will still allow it to be disassembled by pulling the pin as you did when installing the stock onto the buffer tube.

So far, the only downsides to this I can think of is that you will lose about a 1/2" of length of adjustment on both ends of the buffer tube.

Any input is appreciated.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• stock1.jpg
    stock1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 644
  • Stock.jpg
    Stock.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 652
Carve a wooden prototype; install it; let us know how you make out.
Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

P.S. I vote "No Pin" like the bearded hot blonde above...

Seriously, is that you in your avatar holding an AK, your picture was on an Al-Jazeera Mag about a month ago, it was in a magazine at the airport in Al Maktoum international in Jebel Ali.
WTF!!

Taccom has a solution. Take off your adjustable stock, leaving just the buffer tube. They sell a butt stock that fits the buffer tube and clamps in place, offering one inch of adjustment. This allows you to adjust the pull of your stock for a custom fit and save your adjustable stock for another day, or another state. $26.95. I am using this stock on my Airsoft ARs that I use for Steel Challenge practice in my garage.

it would help to know what stocks you already possess...but if you happen to have a bcm gunfighter mod 0 stock...
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...od-0-Stock-Non-Destructive-Reversible-Pinning

Current stocks that I am using in builds are:

Brownells MOE Rifle Stock (2)
Magpul MOE Buttstock

VLTOR Enhanced Emod Buttstock

Mission First Tactical - Battlelink Minimalist Stock

This is why I am looking to not pin them. Its out of pure laziness that I would rather just drop something in and be done.

I may be mis-remembering, but I thought I remember Warwickben posting a method where he disassembles the stock and did something to the lever mechanism so that when you tried to squeeze the lever it wouldnt depress therefore the stock was now in a fixed position. Only way to reverse it would be to disassemble it with tools and because of that it was deemed to be "fixed" in the eyes of the law while not being permanently altered. It was a while back so I could very well be wrong.

Thanks!!! This is basically what I was looking to make, seems like the easiest way to do it IMO.

Unless you were stopping it in the fully collapsed or fully extended position you'd need two. A couple small pieces of dowel and a piece cut off a paint stirrer glued together might get you a prototype.

Yes I was going to post up that you can pull out the roll pin at the bottom side of a Magpul and then pull out the spring and replace with a same size metal dowel , bolt grounded down Etc..stays in place and can't adjust . May be on the links posted but I didn't click to see. Ben may have posted also before. im looking at a Daniel Defense DDM4 V11 and I'm not going to Drill that one

Last edited:
Yes I was going to post up that you can pull out the roll pin at the bottom side of a Magpul and then pull out the spring and replace with a same size metal dowel , bolt grounded down Etc..stays in place and can't adjust . May be on the links posted but I didn't click to see. Ben may have posted also before. m looking at a Daniel Defense DDM4 V11 and I'm not going to Drill that one

That sounds like it.

I have read the thread somewhere where you add the dowel to the pin length, but on my VLTOR Enhanced Emod, I cannot for the life of me disassemble the pin assembly. It feels like I am going to break something, so that's what got me thinking.

I have read the thread somewhere where you add the dowel to the pin length, but on my VLTOR Enhanced Emod, I cannot for the life of me disassemble the pin assembly. It feels like I am going to break something, so that's what got me thinking.

in first post of the link i posted above the there are 2 links to reversible pinning methods...the first is for the magpul str and the second one is for the magpul moe/ctr/acs

maybe someone should put together a thread with the links to all the reversible pinning methods for different stocks

Last edited:
I really like that Magpul UBR but I highly doubt you could get away trying to say that could be legal.
But that Stok Blok thing idea could be just the answer. I'd give it a try.

The stok blok doesn't make the stock any less "telescoping", rather it just changes the way the lever works. Yes, when you squeeze the adjustment lever the stock stops at the block, but when you pull the adjustment lever the stock can still be adjusted past the block. Even with two bloks, forward and aft you can ride past the block by pulling the lever. Watch the video.

don't mean to cok block your stok blok but that's just how I see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIj17B39ido

I think if you could find a way to block all the position holes EXCEPT the last one, and prevent the stock from moving past that longest position, then you'd have something. Ideally it would also stay in place reasonable well even when the stock is removed so if checked by LE/ATF it doesn't just fall apart and resort back to its illegal configuration.

Back
Top Bottom