• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alternative to H110

I've used H110 for years for magnum handgun loads, and I'm tired of dealing with jammed, gummed up powder dispensing tools/systems. Its just too fine, and gums up almost every powder thrower I've used. Is there an alternative to H110 in performance? W296 is a no go as its basically H110. Im unfamiliar with other slower burning magnum powders for reloading pistol. FWIW this is mostly for .44Mag loads.

Strange. I've used W296 and H110 for many years for magnum loads. Drops "no problem" loads for me in the Dillon 550. Something else wrong? Jack.

I'm running a 550B, and its just so fine, it gets under the powder bar and impedes smooth operation. Called Dillon, they recommended I use the large charge bar and run a smaller charge, rather than using the small charge bar, and maxing it out. Additionally they're sending me a shim kit, or an oversized charge bar. Not quiet sure.

Regardless, I've had this problem with H110/296 in other powder systems. Might try 4227 or AA No9? 2900? Dunno, gotta look at my manuals when I get home, I'm really not familiar with other powders in this class as all I've ever used was 110/296. I'd like a powder that performs similar, but maybe not as fine. I run several ball powders with zero issues. Its just the aforementioned that's gumming up my powder dispensers.

Doing a little google-fu, it seems this is a common problem. As it relates to Dillons powder systems, you need to find a charge bar that runs on the higher side of the tolerances and a powder body that runs on the smaller side, so that they mate up with as minimal play as possible. I guess kinda playing the "use this charge bar for this powder on this dispenser" kind of fix. While all of it really isn't a deal breaker or a hardship in any way, its more of an annoyance than anything, especially if there's another powder I don't have to work around with.

Try AA#9 Grains are bigger than W296/H110 . W296 and H110 are the same powder by the way.

Thanks. I've heard that AA#9 has a strong following. I know 110/296 is the same, kinda why I joined them in my sentence. I apologize if that was confusing. I asked a buddy, hey man, whats an alternative to 110, and don't say 296! lol.

No problem with the performance of the powder itself.

Try AA#9 Grains are bigger than W296/H110 . W296 and H110 are the same powder by the way.

Why do W296 and H110 have different burn rates on those "relative burn rate" charts?

On the one I've seen they're not even next to each other, they're separated by two: 117 and 120

I was told it's the same powder made by Saint mark's company in Florida. Different name same powder . W231 = HP38. there are a few others too.

H110 works great in my Hornady powder measure.
I have 0 experience with Dillon presses or powder measures but I can’t imagine that their powder measure cannot be used with fine ball powders like H110??
I’m sure @EddieCoyle will have some advice?

2400 is a great powder but it’s not much coarser than H110.

Blue dot? (worked/ burned best for me with 240 gr or heavier and near max charge)
Unique? (used quite a bit of that with 240 gr)

I use a ton of Unique, I'm quite fond of it and use it in many applications, rifle and pistol. While its a great powder with many uses, it doesn't do anything in particular "the best". Its a great powder for plinking loads, but driving a 240gr XTP to its full potential and wringing the most performance out of the 44mag is not one of them.

Why do W296 and H110 have different burn rates on those "relative burn rate" charts?

On the one I've seen they're not even next to each other, they're separated by two: 117 and 120

I've always used H110 for magnum pistol loads. Never really had to use 296 as 110 was always available. I've long heard they are the same powder, and in the past I have perused my loading manuals and looked at the data for both and they were almost identical.

I've always used H110 for magnum pistol loads. Never really had to use 296 as 110 was always available. I've long heard they are the same powder, and in the past I have perused my loading manuals and looked at the data for both and they were almost identical.

"almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear war. :)

True. When I say almost, they were off by maybe 1gr or so towards the upper end of the load. I rarely run on the upper end of ANY load, so backed off of max the difference was moot.

I too had trouble with H110 in a Dillon measure. I "fixed" the problem by replacing the Dillon measure with a Hornady. It throws 110/296 with no trouble.

If you're looking for alternatives, you can try 2400, Lil' Gun, AA9, AA11FS, Ramshot Enforcer, 4227, or even Power Pistol.

You don't know that they do. They (and the ones in between) could be the same. That's the trouble with burn rate charts - no units.

You don't know that they do. They (and the ones in between) could be the same. That's the trouble with burn rate charts - no units.

Even without units, it's still an ordered list. Maybe the delta between 117 and 120 is VERY SMALL, but it's still there. If they were actually the same powder, then the two powders would have the same position, and there wouldn't be any between them. (unless Nobel REV-3 and Vectan BA6 were also the same as H110 and W296)

I've personally used 2400 with success in .44 Magnum, and Power Pistol for heavier side of medium loads. I've been told you can use Lil' Gun as well

Hodgdon's data is identical. Other data, e.g. in Hornady's manual, which doesn't match are showing you lot-to-lot and test-to-test variations that presumably would also be present with H110 versus H110. At least I can't think of any other explanation for it if the company that is branding it from the manufacturer claims they are just putting one of two different labels on the bottles.

I have about 6 Dillon measures and even more powder slides.
I sorted through them till I found a combination that fit the best and doesn’t leak the fine ball powders.
I keep that measure to the side just for that purpose

Another vote for Alliant 2400. I've run H110 and 2400 in 125 and 158 grain jacketed 357, loading with a Dillon 550. 2400 has larger granules than H110, but not so big that it causes a metering problem. At their respective max loads, I get roughly equal velocities out of a 6" S&W, but the 2400 seems to burn a little more cleanly, and I get a better fireball. ;) Also, 2400 doesn't require a magnum primer, at least in 357.

On my Dillons using the small powder measures, I put clear packing tape on the bar and cut out the opening with an X-acto knife. No binding or slop.
Edited to add- should have a look at that tape every couple thousand rounds or so...

For me, cleaning the bores of my rifles takes much longer after shooting 2400 than H110/W296. But that's rifles.

Speaking of performance in revolvers, how long of a barrel are we talking about? H110/W296 is wasted, I think, in anything short of 6", and at 6", I'll bet 2400 and Accurate #9 can keep up or even beat it in velocity because as far as H110 is concerned, a 5" barrel qualifies as a "snubbie".

For me, cleaning the bores of my rifles takes much longer after shooting 2400 than H110/W296. But that's rifles.

Speaking of performance in revolvers, how long of a barrel are we talking about? H110/W296 is wasted, I think, in anything short of 6", and at 6", I'll bet 2400 and Accurate #9 can keep up or even beat it in velocity because as far as H110 is concerned, a 5" barrel qualifies as a "snubbie".

Its a super redhawk with a 7 1/2 (I think) barrel.

I gave up using H110/298 in Dillon for the same reasons. I use an old Lyman powder measure to dispense H110 and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom